+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renew work permit?

Cindy2010

Mar 17, 2010
Hi all,
My caregiver's passport from her native country expires in October, does she need a new work permit/visa? Would I have to do the LMO all over again? Her work permit was issued Feb 2012, so it's not very old, but just issued in her passport that will expire.Thanks!

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
Cindy2010 said:
Hi all,
My caregiver's passport from her native country expires in October, does she need a new work permit/visa? Would I have to do the LMO all over again? Her work permit was issued Feb 2012, so it's not very old, but just issued in her passport that will expire.Thanks!
In this case, I think she needs a transfer of her TRV from the old passport to the new one. True, the work permit contains the number of the old passport, and she can easily ask for a re-print (with a fee incurred), although this is not mandatory. Before becoming a PR, I had to get a new passport; the Canadian embassy I transferred my TRV at advised me to ask the BSCA at the point of entry to ask for a re-print. The latter told me that if you want to spend money we can do that, however it's not necessary.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Note that work permits are not issued beyond the validity of the passport/travel document, therefore her permit will also expire when the passport expires. Look at the documents again. This is what she has to do:

1. Renew the passport
2. Renew the work permit - she should include a copy of the LMO, job contract and/or offer, recent confirmation of employment letter from her employer(you) and all the other documents in the checklist.
3. Apply for a temporary resident visa(work visa) after receiving the new work permit.

If by Oct 2012, she has already applied to renew the permit but hasn't received it, she will have "implied status" and can continue to work as long as there has not been a change in conditions until a decision is made. If she has not applied by then, then she must stop working until such a time that she receives the work permit.

Whether or not you need to do the LMO all over depends on how long it was originally issued for. If for instance, it was granted for 2 years and her work permit was issued Feb 2012, she is eligible for a work permit from Feb 2012 - Feb 2014 and still has Nov 2012 - Feb 2014 left over(assuming the permit expires in Oct 2012 like the passport). In this case, you would not have to redo the LMO all over.

If however, she has already worked for the time period that the LMO was originally issued for, then you would have to do the LMO all over again.

WinniePooh

Apr 8, 2012
Empirical-Scientist said:
In this case, I think she needs a transfer of her TRV from the old passport to the new one. True, the work permit contains the number of the old passport, and she can easily ask for a re-print (with a fee incurred), although this is not mandatory. Before becoming a PR, I had to get a new passport; the Canadian embassy I transferred my TRV at advised me to ask the BSCA at the point of entry to ask for a re-print. The latter told me that if you want to spend money we can do that, however it's not necessary.
Excuse me, what BSCA stands for? Do you have a phone # to contact them? I have similar situation: I got OWP and applied for PR but there are only 2 blank pages in my current passport. So I'm going to exchange it for a new one. Can I get TRV using OWP with number of the old passport or I've to have OWP re-printed to my new passport? Thanks in advance.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014