+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renew PR card issues

daisycutter

Jun 15, 2013
Hi,i have PR and card runs out in March 2014 ... we have moved in and out of Canada over the years but fulfil 730 day in 5 year requirement .. thing is we are currently in the UK residing and my former employer in Canada is keen for me to return to work there .. I want it to be on a consultancy basis as I am resident in UK and so will be coming back to Canada only to work probably on a FIFO basis ... can I do this ? and if I can how do I renew my PR card whilst only in Canada working and not properly residing ... I think in the long term if we return as a family I might be ok as my wife has citizenship ... but my wife will stay in UK whilst I am in Canada working in short term .. many thanks.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
If your wife is Canadian, and she is "accompanying you" (basically, living together as a married couple) then I can't see any issues.
While out of Canada, you are covered by her for residency days and while in Canada, you are covered by your own presence.

The only issues you could have are
a) proving this, so they may issue you an RQ and
b) physically applying for the renewal, especially as they may call you to attend in person.

They also will not post the new card outside Canada, so you need a Canadian address to have it sent to.

daisycutter

Jun 15, 2013
HI, many thanks for the info ... my wife definitely won't be accompanying me as I want to keep the work temporary as have no intention at the moment of returning permanently at the present time ... what is an RQ ? could I apply for card renewal whilst in Canada and give a friends address for the card to be posted to ? when I land can I say I am here to work for my former employer as my card doesn't expire until next year ? many thanks for all help ...

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
An RQ is a Residency Questionnaire. It basically details all your comings and goings to justify the renewal. You may not get one but be prepared. It is your wife accompanying you "outside Canada" that gives you credit within the residency obligation calculations. She doesn't have to travel with you to Canada. At the border, you may need to demonstrate to the immigration officer that you do meet the residency obligations, or they might decide to report you "just in case". That opens up a whole new can of worms.
A friends address in Canada should be fine... Also best to send the application while you are inside the country as well.

daisycutter

Jun 15, 2013
Hi, thanks for all the info ... we have lived in Canada ( London, Ottawa & Vancouver ) three times over last 10 years and you know so much more than us ... just wondering though if there are any docs I can bring with me that they may want to see to demonstrate to the immigration officer that I meet the residency obligations ? cheers.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Yes, take copies of all the pages from your wife's passport(s) showing UK entry stamps etc. Do the same from yours, to save the IO having to scan through them manually. Also take some evidence that you are both continuing to live at the same address, such as sample bank statements, mobile phone bills, household bills etc. Anything that will show that you are cohabiting over the period in question.
Basically, ask your self the same questions that the IO might ask, and then make sure that you can answer them easily, with documentary evidence in hand. You might need exactly the same stuff if you do get issued an RQ.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Somewhere in southern Ontario probably. The family live in downtown Toronto but I'm not a big fan of cities. I'd be quite happy in a log cabin deep in the woods somewhere. ;D

Good luck!

daisycutter

Jun 15, 2013
We know Ontario well and been to at least 20 + of towns from Wasaga to Barrie to Cobourg to Kingston to Ottawa area to Port Stanley to Woodstock etc. etc. etc. so if you need and info please let me know .. have fun .. and take care with the summer insects that bite ... heat can be unbearable, but stunning thunderstorms and heavy snow in winter ... but all adds to the adventure ... good luck ..

SASIF

Star Member
Jul 9, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My PR card is valid till September 2016. I left Canada 3 months after my landing. My next visit to Canada was after almost 18 months with an intention to stay for 3 months. Our plan is to complete the 2 year residency requirement during this 5 year period and apply for renewal of pr card and move permanently during that time period. But I was questioned at the by the immigration in very accusing tone which was very unexpected for me. I think they have flagged me. Now I fear that they might not allow me to enter Canada next time inspire of my pr card being valid.

Has any one else faced similar problem?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
They will not stop you entering. If you cannot meet the residency obligations, they have the option to report you, but they won't prevent you entering. Until your PR is formally revoked, you ARE still a PR.