+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

renew PR card from US. Need help please

comfortdog

Oct 21, 2014
Hi all,
first of all I want to say this is a great forum. I was trying to google my current renewal problem and discover this forum.
I send out my renewal application document around March. I didn't fill the address part since the format is for Canadian address only and I live in US now. My husband is a Canadian citizen and works in US. CIC sent back my application around 3 weeks after and ask me to give them a Canadian address. So I gave them my friend's address. Today I received a CIC mail from my friend. It states that I need to come to CIC office in Toronto on July 21. If you are unable to appear on this day, you must come to our office within 180 days.
It is very unlikely for me to travel to Canada within this 180 days period. I checked my application status on line. It said decision made. I assume they want me go to the office to claim my new PR card.

my question is, does anyone here have any experience renew PR card outside of Canada?
I will try to call 613-944-4000 number tomorrow, but I am worry that they will refuse to help me since I am not calling within Canada. I will still give it a try and I will update my case to help others .

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CIC doesn't really offer services to PR's who live outside Canada, therefore the need for a Canadian address. If you are unable to pick up the new card within 180 days, they will destroy it and you will have to apply to renew it again. If you want your new card, you should make the trip to pick it up.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
If you have no intention to return to Canada anytime soon, then there is no need to renew your PR card at this time. Even if the card expires that should not matter. Whenever you intend to travel back to Canada permanently you can just go there using your US visa-exempt passport, and once in Canada a CBSA officer will be able to check your PR status online so you don't actually need a valid card.

Just be sure to carry proof with you that you've been living with your Canadian citizen spouse during your time spent in US, so there are no issues regarding your PR residency obligations.

comfortdog

Oct 21, 2014
Leon said:
CIC doesn't really offer services to PR's who live outside Canada, therefore the need for a Canadian address. If you are unable to pick up the new card within 180 days, they will destroy it and you will have to apply to renew it again. If you want your new card, you should make the trip to pick it up.
thank you. I just know it last night that I need to pick it up in person.

comfortdog

Oct 21, 2014
Rob_TO said:
If you have no intention to return to Canada anytime soon, then there is no need to renew your PR card at this time. Even if the card expires that should not matter. Whenever you intend to travel back to Canada permanently you can just go there using your US visa-exempt passport, and once in Canada a CBSA officer will be able to check your PR status online so you don't actually need a valid card.

Just be sure to carry proof with you that you've been living with your Canadian citizen spouse during your time spent in US, so there are no issues regarding your PR residency obligations.
Thank you Rob. So you are saying without a valid PR card, I am still a Canadian permanent resident?
I don't know exactly we will move back to Canada permanently. Maybe in 5 years or longer.
update: I just call to 613-944-4000 number and was direct to the trade department. They lady ask me if I am calling from inside of Canada. She said I should write email to question@cic.gc.ca if I live outside of Canada.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
comfortdog said:
Thank you Rob. So you are saying without a valid PR card, I am still a Canadian permanent resident?
Yes. Same as if your passport expires, you are still a citizen.

The ONLY ways you can lose your PR status is if:
- You formally request to CIC to give it up
- If you are reported to CIC for not meeting PR residency obligation, or violate some other rule of being a PR (like becoming a criminal), and CIC formally revokes it

Since you are living in the USA with your Canadian citizen spouse, the residency obligation does not apply to you. So you don't need to worry. As I said, just ensure to bring proof of your cohabitation with spouse anytime you return to Canada.

Tahirzahid

Oct 24, 2014
Re: renew PR card: No response since Feb 2014

Rob_TO said:
Yes. Same as if your passport expires, you are still a citizen.

The ONLY ways you can lose your PR status is if:
- You formally request to CIC to give it up
- If you are reported to CIC for not meeting PR residency obligation, or violate some other rule of being a PR (like becoming a criminal), and CIC formally revokes it

Since you are living in the USA with your Canadian citizen spouse, the residency obligation does not apply to you. So you don't need to worry. As I said, just ensure to bring proof of your cohabitation with spouse anytime you return to Canada.
Hi, I have PR status and have been travelling frequently in and out of Canada during the last five years. My PR card expired in January 2014- I submitted renewal application in December 2013 and submitted advised previous passport copies in Feb 2014. In October 2014, the immigration office advised that the application which I posted to Sydney is now in Hamilton and may take another 7-8 months to process. Though I am also a British national and am travelling on British passport, I would like to know as to how to proceed. Would it be useful to contact the immigration again? On-line status does not show anything.