+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renew PR card but not lived for 730 days

ht_shh

Feb 25, 2015
I have PR card which expires on sep 2015 and i wish to travel to canada on April 2015.

The problem is that i have not lived in canada until now after i got my pr card. I was living in another country to finish my higher education. Now when i wish to settele in Canada but i need to leave again for two months outside of canada as i am grtting married in my home country.

Would it possible to renew my pr card before or is there any other way where i could travel outside of canada and come back?

After that i do wish to settle in canada.
Please advice me on this stituation.
Thanks in Advance.

arowberry

Nov 25, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-03-2014
AOR Received.
04-04-2014
Med's Request
26-09-2014
Med's Done....
03-10-2014
LANDED..........
27-11-2014
Unsurprisingly considering the nature of this particular forum, this question gets asked a quite often. Here are a few relevant and recent threads that will provide you with what you need to know:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/pr-card-renewal-without-730-days-due-to-phd-studies-t257134.0.html

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/pr-renewal-request-after-pr-card-is-expired-t240598.0.html;msg3513179#msg3513179

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/pr-card-renewal-after-expiration-t234016.0.html

My reading tells me that if you can get into Canada before your PR expires, then you can continue living in Canada as a PR. The card expires, but the status does not. You could then continue living in Canada until you have made your 730 days, and then apply for a new PR card. You can't really leave Canada during this period, because you would not have a PR card to re-enter. You can run into problems with employers and you will run into problems when trying to renew Government documents (e.g. driving licences and health cards) because you won't be able to prove your status.

Studying will not be regarded as a good enough reason to have broken the residency commitments.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
ht_shh said:
I have PR card which expires on sep 2015 and i wish to travel to canada on April 2015.

The problem is that i have not lived in canada until now after i got my pr card. I was living in another country to finish my higher education. Now when i wish to settele in Canada but i need to leave again for two months outside of canada as i am grtting married in my home country.

Would it possible to renew my pr card before or is there any other way where i could travel outside of canada and come back?

After that i do wish to settle in canada.
Please advice me on this stituation.
Thanks in Advance.
You have a few problems to worry about.
1. You don't meet the residency obligation. When you travel to Canada in April 2015, you may be reported by CBSA at the airport for not meeting RO. If this happens then you will be allowed into Canada, but will have a hearing scheduled with CIC during which they may revoke your PR status.

2. Even if you can enter Canada without being reported, if you leave Canada again to get married and return before your PR card expires, you run the risk of being reported again the next time you return.

3. If you can make it into Canada 2 times without being reported, there is no way to renew your PR card without meeting the 730 days requirement. So your card will expire. After that you must remain in Canada 2 years straight. If you leave and don't have a visa-exempt passport, you will not be able to return unless you get a PR Travel Document, but you can't get this unless you meet the RO or have a good H&C reason.

In some cases CIC gives exceptions to not meeting the RO based on H&C reasons, but simply attending school for so long outside Canada is not generally considered an acceptable reason. If you are reported for not meeting RO, I would prepare for the strong possibility you will have your PR card revoked (but of course final decision is up to CIC).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You also won't be able to sponsor your spouse until you meet the residency requirement. So that's one more complication to add to the list...

ht_shh

Feb 25, 2015
One more thing i would like to mention when i first entered into canada i was under 18 accompanied with my parents.

I have british passport as far as i know you do need visa to enter canada if you have british passport.
Plus my PR card expires in sep while i need to travel back after sep to get married.

Would it be possible to enter on british passport base in canada then continue staying for 2 years and renew my PR card after i meet RO?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ht_shh said:
One more thing i would like to mention when i first entered into canada i was under 18 accompanied with my parents.

I have british passport as far as i know you do need visa to enter canada if you have british passport.
Plus my PR card expires in sep while i need to travel back after sep to get married.

Would it be possible to enter on british passport base in canada then continue staying for 2 years and renew my PR card after i meet RO?
You can certainly try. There's still no guarantee you won't be reported. But again, by all means try if you want to.

However you still won't be able to sponsor your spouse for PR until you have completed 2 years of living in Canada. So that's also something to consider.

PUJA

Apr 19, 2012
Hi Guys,
I applied for renewal of PR card application and it went for secondary review .
I am thinking of withdrawing my application and applying again.The reason being I can add extra 5 months to my days in Canada (it was sept 2014 when I last applied)also I have stronger proof to prove my residency in this time.
But my question is :
1.)If I withdraw my application,will it have a negative effect on my new application?
2.)What reason can I give for withdrawal?
3.)What is the procedure to withdraw my application?
4.) Also to note here is my husbands PR card expired in Feburary 2015.
If anybody can please reply urgently answering all my questions separately.This would be a great help.
Thanks,

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
ht_shh said:
I don't think that matters, since after you turned 18 it was your personal choice to not return to Canada at that time, and continue your studies outside of Canada.

Having a visa-exempt British passport should allow you to board a plane to Canada without need for a PR Travel Doc.

However once you arrive at the Canadian airport, CBSA will be able to determine that you are a PR even if you don't present a PR card to them. So you still run the risk of being reported to CIC for not meeting RO.