+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

renew permanent resident card that will expire in 13 july 2017

emadg

Aug 22, 2008
I get my permanent resident card in July 2012 that will expire in 13 July 2017 i have spent 1054 days outside Canada and today ( February 3,2017) i have spent 688 days in Canada and i am right now in Canada and i do not think to leave Canad until i get the citizenship but during July i need my permanent card to be valid because i need to apply to work and they require that the card to be valid not expired so can i apply to renew the card now as the website is telling that (If you have been a permanent resident for less than five (5) years
you must show that you will be able to meet the minimum of 730 days of physical presence in Canada within five (5) years of the date you became a permanent resident)and it is also written in CIC website (You should renew your card six months before it expires)
1- can i renew my permanent resident card now
2-how i show that i will be able to meet the minimum of 730 days of physical presence in Canada within five (5) years of the date i became a permanent resident ?
3- what the documents that i should sent to show my residence in Canada and the checklists only asks for the following
A-Application for a Permanent Resident Card (IMM 5444), fully completed and signed.
B-Photocopy of one (1) primary identity document.
C-Two (2) photos placed in a small envelope (no staples or paper clips). Photos must follow the Photograph Specifications for Permanent Resident Cards.
D-Fees. Copy of the receipt showing the amount paid.
Thank you

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
Apply after your 2 years stay in Canada.

romanbel0

Nov 13, 2016
Nope. I dont need to way for anything if you have not been outside Canada for more than 3 years in the past 5 years. No need to prove that you have been for 2 years. Its not the same thing, attention!
Go ahead and apply as soon as possible. Your residence time will not cause any issues.

Rigly68

Apr 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
romanbel0 said:
Nope. I dont need to way for anything if you have not been outside Canada for more than 3 years in the past 5 years. No need to prove that you have been for 2 years. Its not the same thing, attention!
Go ahead and apply as soon as possible. Your residence time will not cause any issues.
That is not correct. If OP applies now his application will be rejected/scrutinized as he has only stayed in Canada for 688 days as of February 3, 2017 since becoming a PR. He will have/should to wait until March 18, 2017 to sign and send application.

romanbel0

Nov 13, 2016
Rigly68 said:
That is not correct. If OP applies now his application will be rejected/scrutinized as he has only stayed in Canada for 688 days as of February 3, 2017 since becoming a PR. He will have/should to wait until March 18, 2017 to sign and send application.
I disagree with this. While it can be scrutinized as every other application for whatever reason, I do not see why it would be rejected based on residency time. He does NOT have to wait till March 18th,2017 to apply even though that might be safer thing to do. No rule prohibit him to apply now as he fulfills all the requirements at this time.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
romanbel0 said:
I disagree with this. While it can be scrutinized as every other application for whatever reason, I do not see why it would be rejected based on residency time. He does NOT have to wait till March 18th,2017 to apply even though that might be safer thing to do. No rule prohibit him to apply now as he fulfills all the requirements at this time.
In order to maintain residency the person has to spend 2 years out of 5 years. The person may lose his/her permanent residence status if he/she lives less than 2 years in Canada in a 5 year period.

Here is the link:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/about-pr.asp

Rigly68

Apr 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
romanbel0 said:
How can you say that he fulfils the residence requirements now when as of yesterday he only has 688 days in Canada in the relevant time frame? You need 730 days residence in Canada.....

The confusion might be that you are basing your calculation on OP being here already for 5 years? Then the mentioned 1054 days outside Canada would indeed amount to less than 3 years. But with the info given by OP it would be calculated from July 2012 = less than 5 years. So going back to when OP became PR (less than 5 years ago) OP does not reside in Canada for 2 years as of today. It all comes down to the actual days being present and as of now OP doesn't meet the 730 days in the relevant time frame. You need 730 days in any relevant time frame... no way around it unless it is due to humanitarian grounds and that is a total different beast ;).

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
disagree with this. While it can be scrutinized as every other application for whatever reason, I do not see why it would be rejected based on residency time. He does NOT have to wait till March 18th,2017 to apply even though that might be safer thing to do. No rule prohibit him to apply now as he fulfills all the requirements at this time.
Completely wrong advice. Not meeting RO is grounds for revocation of one PR status. Why does your employer need your PR card? It's a travel document and does not prove your status in Canada (you can have a valid PR card and be outside of RO). All you should have to supply is a SIN number with your employer. A drivers licence and valid health card should be more than adequate supplemental information.

emadg

Aug 22, 2008
emadg said:
The confusion might be that you are basing your calculation on OP being here already for 5 years? Then the mentioned 1054 days outside Canada would indeed amount to less than 3 years. But with the info given by OP it would be calculated from July 2012 = less than 5 years. So going back to when OP became PR (less than 5 years ago) OP does not reside in Canada for 2 years as of today. It all comes down to the actual days being present and as of now OP doesn't meet the 730 days in the relevant time frame. You need 730 days in any relevant time frame... no way around it unless it is due to humanitarian grounds and that is a total different beast ;).
5 years is calculated from May 2012 since i became resident not from July 2012

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
OP is still in compliance with the RO, as they have enough time remaining in their first 5 years to hit 730 days.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
canuck_in_uk said:
OP is still in compliance with the RO, as they have enough time remaining in their first 5 years to hit 730 days.
OP became PR in May 2012 and is out of Canada for around 1054 days and if he applies as of Feb 3 2017 then he has completed 688 days which means the OP is breaching his Residence obligation. He needs to wait to complete 730 days (to be on the safe side addition of couple of more weeks to add buffer) and then apply to renew PR card.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
thecoolguysam said:
OP became PR in May 2012 and is out of Canada for around 1054 days and if he applies as of Feb 3 2017 then he has completed 688 days which means the OP is breaching his Residence obligation. He needs to wait to complete 730 days (to be on the safe side addition of couple of more weeks to add buffer) and then apply to renew PR card.
Again, wrong. You are misunderstanding the rule.

In the first 5 years, a person is still in compliance with the RO if they have 730 days OR have enough time left in the 5 years to hit 730 days.

If OP applies now, he has 688 days and another 90 or so days in the first 5 years to hit 730 days, so he is still in compliance.

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
If you stay only 2 years then PR card processing may be delayed.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
emadg said:
I get my permanent resident card in July 2012 that will expire in 13 July 2017 i have spent 1054 days outside Canada
As long as you haven't spent full 1095 days outside Canada since landing, you currently meet the RO, and should qualify for renew your PR card.

Since you would be applying for PR renewal while being very close to not meeting RO, you should expect your app will go to secondary review and take a very long time to process.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
canuck_in_uk said:
Again, wrong. You are misunderstanding the rule.

In the first 5 years, a person is still in compliance with the RO if they have 730 days OR have enough time left in the 5 years to hit 730 days.

If OP applies now, he has 688 days and another 90 or so days in the first 5 years to hit 730 days, so he is still in compliance.
Isn't date of signature on the application is considered to calculate residence days? Can you explain about the 90 day part?