+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Remote foreign work while being an international student in Canada for FSW

theonlyone1

Aug 4, 2022
Egypt
Category........
FSW
Hello,

I am asking whether I can use the time I work remotely for a foreign company (no legal presence in Canada) as experience for my FSW points? - Also is the 20 hours limit enforced for this remote work or is that limit just for the Canadian off campus work?

I was wondering because my study will commence in September but I will still have few months left to complete my 3 years of experience.

Lord_Tony

Mar 7, 2023
Toronto
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-03-2023
AOR Received.
07-05-2023
Med's Done....
15-05-2023
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2023
This sounds like a risky one, biggest risk is tax implications. As a Canada legal resident you will need to register and pay tax here. If you country doesn't have double taxation avoidance treaty, you will suffer double tax with the CRA. Even your work experience I feel will be scrutinized a lot by IRCC, your case needs sound legal advice, amateurs in the forums might not know this, I would advice caution.

Reactions: theonlyone1

theonlyone1

Aug 4, 2022
Egypt
Category........
FSW
This sounds like a risky one, biggest risk is tax implications. As a Canada legal resident you will need to register and pay tax here. If you country doesn't have double taxation avoidance treaty, you will suffer double tax with the CRA. Even your work experience I feel will be scrutinized a lot by IRCC, your case needs sound legal advice, amateurs in the forums might not know this, I would advice caution.
I don’t see double taxation as a huge problem because I’m only aiming to have my 3 years exp complete even if 20 hours part time resulting in x2 the months length, more interested in the FSW calculation part; will consult a professional regarding the tax thing of course.