+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Relocation

rlajambe

Jul 4, 2011
Huron said:
rlajambe:

Good to know that you are reading the Mexico thread. There is a lot of good information there.

Mexico has not tightened up its immigration laws in response to Canada. In fact Mexico is in the process of loosening its immigration laws and immigration reform was passed at the end of May of this year. (There was a smaller reform last year but nothing like the new one now) The new Reglamento de la le de Migración will be in force by November, no one not even an immigration consultant is sure of the exact date yet could be tomorrow or it could be months from now in November. I have heard rumours it will be before the end of august. (The secretary of the interior under which immigration falls is reporting to the Mexican house of deputies today). This reform is due in great part to the kidnappings, murders, and extortion etc of literally thousands of Central American migrants in Mexico on their way north.

If you think CIC is confusing what till you deal with INM. (Instituto Nacional de Migración) The “requirements” should be the same all over the country but the interpretation of the law often varies from office to office and from individual to individual. There is a big push to cleanse INM of the corruption in Mexico. INM agents were even running a child prostitution ring in southern Mexico and kidnapping migrants to sell to the cartels.

If you were applying for residency in Mexico today there are a couple of ways you could do it. Some of it will depend of if you want temporary residency or permanent residency. (Temporary is not a TRV in Mexico but No Inmigrante FM3 or inmigrante FM2, both very different from tourist visa or FMM for countries that mexico does not require a tourist visa of)

1. Your wife could sponsor you if she meets the income requirements (could be authorized to work)

2. Could apply for rentista by showing your own monthly income of about $ 1400 pesos for non inmigrante or $2390 pesos for inmigrante (could be authorized to work after finding job here)

3. Could be sponsored by an employer and would have authorization to work for that employer

To see all of the current scenarios and requirements take a look at http://www.inm.gob.mx/ and pick Trámites Migratorios from the right hand side. (Do not use the English pages as they are never updated and full of incorrect information)

The requirements and process for residency will change once the new Reglamento de la le de Migración is published (in the Diario Official). Right now even a good consultant (unless they are psychic) will not be able to tell you what you will need after the change.

There are all kinds of online jobs like translation work, writing, inside sales and customer service to name a few. You will need a good and reliable internet connection and a VOIP phone is advisable. (Mexico internet is all you can eat) You can check out on line work at sites like Clickworker http://www.clickworker.com/en or Elance http://www.elance.com/

If I had to guess on the steel working position I would guess somewhere in the $200 to $300 Pesos ($16 to $24 CDN) per day price range. It's usually (but not always) a 48 hour work week in Mexico. And of course one usually needs to speak Spanish.

Not sure if you mentioned this or already know it but it would be good for you to get the Mexican Citizenship docs for your kids if they do not already have them.
Thanks Huron, this all opens my eyes a little more.

I'm really going to have to eliminate my current trade from the list of possible occupations. There's no way that I can do the same job there, for more hours per day and earn less than 75% in a day than what I earn every single hour here. I understand that the cost of living is less there, but not THAT much less. Maybe it's more pride than anything that would keep me from fabricating there.

I'm also exploring the avenue whereby we have her sponsored by an employer to come here. She studied business administration in college and worked for a few years in that field before beginning her travels. It seems to me an administrator who is fluent in two languages might be in demand for companies who deal with a multi-cultural client or employee base (most companies in Canada). Who knows, maybe I'm off the mark?

Regardless of whether or not we pursue the work-visa, would it be advantageous to add 6 weeks to the PR process while waiting for CAIPS notes before finishing our application? Or would it benefit us more to move forward with all of the great advice that is available here from successful applicants? As long as we are careful that the new outland application is true to the old inland application (no incorrect dates, nobody left off of the wedding attendance list, nothing contradictory), should this not be enough to guarantee success?

What might they find problems with that would be in those notes, aside from doubts of a relationship's validity? There may not have been enough evidence of our relationship at the time we submitted the first application, as our entire relationship had not yet spanned a year. For some people, it doesn't take a 5 year relationship to decide you want to spend the rest of your lives together. I actually know of one woman I went to school with who decided to get married with a man she had known for 2 weeks (yes, weeks). Both are Canadian. They are still together after 5 years! There are many people who don't last 6 months of marriage after a 10 year relationship.

For this new application, I think it will be very difficult for someone to look at her file and say they doubt that our marriage is genuine. If I was being paid to marry her specifically for the reason of immigration, I would have to be compensated very heavily for the amount of commitment I have put into our marriage or the legal risk I would be taking. I mean, her family is not poor by any means, but the amount of money that I would demand for such a service would be more than they could afford! LOL Even if they could afford it, it would be much more cost effective for her to buy residence through one of the investor or business programs.

No, it will be easy for them to see that we do love each other and that we share a life together.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Your wife has applied before? Why was her application refused? The rejection letter should say why, but sometimes they do not give many details in the letter. So the CAIPS notes will show you in more detail why the visa officer refused to issue a PR visa. It also includes a transcript of any interview.
So basically getting the CAIPS notes allows you to see why the first application was rejected. You can then use this information to make a better application: if the visa officer says that ____ was an issue, for example, you can address this issue in your new application and show why it is not a problem.
Usually once a PR application has been rejected, it is more difficult to get the second application approved: the visa officer will take the stand that they have already decided about your case, and probably reject you for the same reasons. So it is important to know exactly why the first application failed, so you can 'correct' these problems in the second application. It is also important to show that there is new evidence that your relationship is genuine (if that was the issue): such new evidence is things like having a child or actually living together, so I think you going to live with her in Mexico is a good idea.

rlajambe

Jul 4, 2011
Canadianwoman, My wife is applying for a second time because she had an inland application in process and she left Canada to deliver our second child in Mexico. Two weeks after she left Canada, the local office asked to interview her (after a year and a half of waiting for them to do anything).

They closed her file due to the need for an inland applicant to remain inland, not because of any problem with our paperwork. That's not to say that there wasn't a problem, though I take it that making it to an interview was a good sign.

Huron, I forgot to mention earlier that our daughter was born in Mexico, so she has mexican citizenship, birth certificate, and a passport already (within one week of birth). We have applied for her Canadian citizenship certificate. That should be granted at about the same time my wife receives PR, 12 months. Our son was born here in Canada and he will have his Mexican certificate in August. The two of them are on their way to dual citizenship.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
rlajambe said:
Canadianwoman, My wife is applying for a second time because she had an inland application in process and she left Canada to deliver our second child in Mexico.
There shouldn't be a problem then with her second application.