+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Relocation

rlajambe

Jul 4, 2011
Will it cause any issues in the eyes of CIC if I, the sponsor, relocate to Mexico to live with my wife, the applicant, for the duration of the outland application process? I have read a few posts where people were interviewed and the interviewer mentioned he believed the couple could live well in Mexico and had no need to come to Canada.

If I secure employment there that provides us with a comfortable living, does this somehow cause CIC to view our application in another light? Does spousal sponsorship require the applicant to be separate from the sponsor and to NEED to move to Canada?

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
If you re-locate during the process, you may be asked to provide proof of your intent to return to Canada when your wife is granted PR, especially if CIC somehow finds out you have actually gone as far as obtaining employment in your spouse's country.

You don't need to tell them about re-locating, of course, I'm just saying if they find out, it's an additional burden of proof required from you.

missmini

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2009
Visa Office......
Amman
App. Filed.......
01-2012
Doc's Request.
05-2012 (CSQ approved)
AOR Received.
07-2012
File Transfer...
04-2012
Med's Done....
11-2011 (extended until 11-2013)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
02-2013 (finalyyyyyy)
LANDED..........
07-2013 (DONE - thank u all :):):))
rlajambe said:
Will it cause any issues in the eyes of CIC if I, the sponsor, relocate to Mexico to live with my wife, the applicant, for the duration of the outland application process? I have read a few posts where people were interviewed and the interviewer mentioned he believed the couple could live well in Mexico and had no need to come to Canada.

If I secure employment there that provides us with a comfortable living, does this somehow cause CIC to view our application in another light? Does spousal sponsorship require the applicant to be separate from the sponsor and to NEED to move to Canada?
there r many sponsors living outside Canada with the applicant, CIC is used to that but what CIC wants to make sure is that u'll both reside in Canada once the PR is granted....that can proved with work visa cancellation in Mexico for example and having strong ties with Canada

so even if u relocate, continue to fill in taxes, keep ur membetships, bank accounts in Canada and the most imp show that there is a place to live for u and ur family once u all move back together....if u owe a property it's easy if u rent an apt don't give up the rent, just sub-let it, if u'll plan to live with family in Canada have a letter from them

really in ur situation they should not question anything, u just want to b with ur family and see ur daughter grow; on the positive side, they should just see ur relationship stronger, how important ur wife and children r for u

rlajambe

Jul 4, 2011
Well, I do not own a house. I'm currently living with my parents so as to minimize rent and not go crazy from loneliness. If I do leave Canada, I will be liquidating as many of my posessions as I can so I will have very little in the way of residential ties. I will of course have my bank accounts and rrsp, though the bank accounts will have a bare minimum left in them. Perhaps it would help to continue paying union dues while I am abroad? The only other thing I can do is have my parents write the letter stating that we will stay with them when we land until we can find our own accomodations.

rlajambe

Jul 4, 2011
I hadn't even considered that my relocation could be seen by CIC in a positive light. It may be very helpful to us. I have this nagging fear that CIC will look at the circumstances surrounding our marriage and suspect it was a marriage of convenience. I doubt they can view my leaving Canada to be with my family as anything but genuineness.

Thanks for that insight!

Huron

Oct 14, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As I mentioned in your other thread you may want to join the Mexico thread. There are some Canadians living with their spouse in Mexico and are applying for PR others that are or have applied inland and others that are "visiting" in Canada that have applied outland and others that are separated during the process. (Seems that no 2 cases are identical) and everyone has experience to share.

One of the things to consider is that you will probably not be able to work in Mexico for a variety of reasons (immigration authorization, lack of Spanish fluency, no jobs, etc) and by the time you did get everything in order for employment your wife would most likely have PR, and if you were able to work you would not be paid anywhere near what you could make in Canada. (The highest minimum wage in Mexico is $ 4.80 CDN PER DAY.) (I believe you are an electrician by trade, wiring in Mexico is unlike anything you have ever seen!)

If you can afford not to work for 8 to 15+ months, or can work on line from outside of Canada, than exploring Mexico while your wife’s PR is in process may be an option for you.

missmini

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2009
Visa Office......
Amman
App. Filed.......
01-2012
Doc's Request.
05-2012 (CSQ approved)
AOR Received.
07-2012
File Transfer...
04-2012
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
02-2013 (finalyyyyyy)
LANDED..........
Huron has a good point with the long distance work....like this u'll probably stay in Mexico with visit visa anyways, and as long as u r in "visit" CIC does not even consider u living permanently outside Canada, so no need of proofs that u intend to go back :)

also once u get the sponsorship approval and the file reaches mexico, why not consider applying for tourist visa for her; yes the chances r so so slim but if u put H&C grounds that ur small children need to b with both parents right now and u describe ur whole situation from before, u never know....get some legal advice abt how u can apply using H&C grounds....i think that's possible for the pr application too, but not sure how

u could write also a cover letter like in this thread

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t71370.0.html

good luck!!

rlajambe

Jul 4, 2011
What are H&C grounds? Humanitarian and Compassion?

A cover letter is a good idea. I had always worried that being that direct and asking for expediency would throw up some red flags. I know that the people who are handling our cases are people who have emotions just like you or I, but I hold this image of CIC as an immoveable emotionless machine. So I will try that.

I haven't looked too far into working in Mexico. I've been trying to get into contact with a large steel company (I'm a steel fabricator) but their website is faulty. Coincidentally, my wife's uncle is friends with a part owner of the very same company and has offered to inquire for me. I'm just trying to find out what they pay at this point. I know that I can't expect anything close to the wage I get here. That's why I'm saving right now before going down. I'd be staying with my wife in her mother's home. The house is paid off, so we don't need to pay any rent (though she wouldn't let us pay even if it wasn't!) We could survive on a very modest income.

A friend of my wife's who is here in Vancouver on a work visa has offered my wife a job. I'm not clear on the specifics of what her friend does here, but from what I understand, she works for an english school. I believe she is responsible for signing people up to come to Canada and attend the school. She wants my wife to assist in some way, likely calling people there locally and perhaps conducting interviews. She says it would be about 10 hrs of work per week. My wife has also opened up a small convenience store out of her mother's house, so there is a little income from there too.

I've also looked into teaching english. My wife is setting up a consultation with an immigration consultant there to see what we need for me to be able to come and work there. From what my wife tells me of her talk with another friend there, Mexico tightened their rules regarding Canadians living and working there. Sounds to me like a response to Canada's policy shift towards Mexicans.

What kind of long distance work do you guys refer to? What job can I do online from Mexico (aside from steamy webcam shows ;))?

rlajambe

Jul 4, 2011
Huron:

I'm currently following the Mexico thread. I'm following but I'm waaaaay behind. I'm at about page 30 of 60. I'm trying to read through so I do not ask anything in that thread that has already been answered. It has been quite helpful already. I have my wife trying to get ahold of family or friends who live in or travel frequently to Mexico City. She'll have to go there eventually to get her Constancia, but there's no way she will stay there for 6-10 days while they process the certificate. She's never been there and is, quite frankly, frightened of the thought of going there. She'll need to give power of attorney to someone else to pick it up once it is done and take it to the embassy for her.

See... I pay attention sometimes.

(with my luck, everything I've just said is wrong ???)

missmini

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2009
Visa Office......
Amman
App. Filed.......
01-2012
Doc's Request.
05-2012 (CSQ approved)
AOR Received.
07-2012
File Transfer...
04-2012
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
02-2013 (finalyyyyyy)
LANDED..........
yes H&C means Humanitarian and Compassionate grounds but don't know how it works; it does apply to exceptional circumstances and to exceptional cases which r not eligible through the normal system

i believe a cover letter similar with that in the other thread could help u; now depends how many going through the same embassy r in similar siuation with u; if there r many, then they won't prioritize ur case, if not then maybe they'll consider ur situation (but me too i tend to see them in the same light as u - no emotions involved, just doing their job)

also u, as sponsor could write an essay abt ur relationship, ur history wih clear dates, that would help them see the overall picture

lastly, u said u r worried abt some red flags they might have and maybe they had for the 1st application too....did u consider ordering ur caips notes for the 1st application? maybe u could find there some good feedback witch u could address now, before sending this application

i was talking more abt working online but it does not apply to all job profiles....just ideas, which maybe could b applied to ur situation....i guess i was off :p

rlajambe

Jul 4, 2011
I had seen reference to CAIPS but had no idea what it was. I can actually get the notes they took on our first application? What do we have to do to get them?

Huron

Oct 14, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rlajambe:

Good to know that you are reading the Mexico thread. There is a lot of good information there.

Mexico has not tightened up its immigration laws in response to Canada. In fact Mexico is in the process of loosening its immigration laws and immigration reform was passed at the end of May of this year. (There was a smaller reform last year but nothing like the new one now) The new Reglamento de la le de Migración will be in force by November, no one not even an immigration consultant is sure of the exact date yet could be tomorrow or it could be months from now in November. I have heard rumours it will be before the end of august. (The secretary of the interior under which immigration falls is reporting to the Mexican house of deputies today). This reform is due in great part to the kidnappings, murders, and extortion etc of literally thousands of Central American migrants in Mexico on their way north.

If you think CIC is confusing what till you deal with INM. (Instituto Nacional de Migración) The “requirements” should be the same all over the country but the interpretation of the law often varies from office to office and from individual to individual. There is a big push to cleanse INM of the corruption in Mexico. INM agents were even running a child prostitution ring in southern Mexico and kidnapping migrants to sell to the cartels.

If you were applying for residency in Mexico today there are a couple of ways you could do it. Some of it will depend of if you want temporary residency or permanent residency. (Temporary is not a TRV in Mexico but No Inmigrante FM3 or inmigrante FM2, both very different from tourist visa or FMM for countries that mexico does not require a tourist visa of)

1. Your wife could sponsor you if she meets the income requirements (could be authorized to work)

2. Could apply for rentista by showing your own monthly income of about $ 1400 pesos for non inmigrante or $2390 pesos for inmigrante (could be authorized to work after finding job here)

3. Could be sponsored by an employer and would have authorization to work for that employer

To see all of the current scenarios and requirements take a look at http://www.inm.gob.mx/ and pick Trámites Migratorios from the right hand side. (Do not use the English pages as they are never updated and full of incorrect information)

The requirements and process for residency will change once the new Reglamento de la le de Migración is published (in the Diario Official). Right now even a good consultant (unless they are psychic) will not be able to tell you what you will need after the change.

There are all kinds of online jobs like translation work, writing, inside sales and customer service to name a few. You will need a good and reliable internet connection and a VOIP phone is advisable. (Mexico internet is all you can eat) You can check out on line work at sites like Clickworker http://www.clickworker.com/en or Elance http://www.elance.com/

If I had to guess on the steel working position I would guess somewhere in the $200 to $300 Pesos ($16 to $24 CDN) per day price range. It’s usually (but not always) a 48 hour work week in Mexico. And of course one usually needs to speak Spanish.

Not sure if you mentioned this or already know it but it would be good for you to get the Mexican Citizenship docs for your kids if they do not already have them.

missmini

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2009
Visa Office......
Amman
App. Filed.......
01-2012
Doc's Request.
05-2012 (CSQ approved)
AOR Received.
07-2012
File Transfer...
04-2012
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
02-2013 (finalyyyyyy)
LANDED..........
rlajambe said:
I had seen reference to CAIPS but had no idea what it was. I can actually get the notes they took on our first application? What do we have to do to get them?
yeeees it's good to get the CAIPS it takes around 6 weeks, so bettet order them right away; hopefully u can find something useful there; all the internal notes the officer puts abt ur file should be there but also note that if u'll not find a lot maybe they didn't reach the background checks yet, assessment of the relationship etc; good luck :)