+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Relocating to Quebec / working in Quebec

CECPRAspirant

Star Member
Dec 30, 2013
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Hello All,

I came to Canada on Canadian Experience Class PR. I have a question regarding working Montreal, Quebec. Currently, I am in Toronto and I am in search of jobs. There two things happening with me right now.. two job discussions going on.. One work location in Montreal & Other Toronto. Both jobs are good in the same filed which I am interested in. However, Montreal one might even a better job for long term growth. I need some inputs from experts to make choice.

I thought, I can put my situation here to get some help, as I always get over here.

Someone told me that nowadays Quebec govt is issuing medical cards only after completing a stay of 6 months period in Quebec. Does any came across such situation?
What are the other points for making a decision to relocating to Quebec.. Like, when I apply for citizenship does stay in Quebec is counted or not??

Any thoughts would help me...

Many thanks in advance

McClane

Star Member
Aug 4, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Quebec is Canada, so time spent there counts towards your citizenship intentions.

I live in Montreal, so this is my personal experience.

Many points to consider, the most important one being language. French is the official language in Quebec and, while you can live in Montreal with English only, you are likely to find certain challenges, ranging from minor misunderstandings to critical situations, e.g. unable to communicate during medical care. Personally, when I couldn't speak French I never experienced or witnessed any of the horror stories you might read elsewhere. I haven't experienced any language discrimination myself.

You need to know how this comes into play for you at work and for your family (your kids, if any, might need to go to French school). Attitude is key. Some people might see all this as a challenge that brings growth opportunity at every level, while others will just prefer to avoid it altogether.

Taxes are higher in Quebec, but costs are much lower than in Toronto. I live in a 4 1/2 condo built in 2008, close to the subway, and can get to downtown in 25 minutes. It is a nice building. No luxury, but well maintained and I pay 1,100 a month. In the summer I'll move to a semi-detached in the suburbs (35 mins drive from Downtown) that set me back 280K. You don't see these numbers in Toronto.

What you mentioned about medical care is true. You need to wait 6 months to get your card.

CECPRAspirant

Star Member
Dec 30, 2013
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Hello McClane,

Thank You for sharing your experience.

I was in Montreal from 2012 - 14 on work permit. Taxes are high but the cost of living and other expenses are less compared to Toronto.

I am expecting a job offer from Montreal. If my expectations are met I might move to Montreal.

Have a good time.

McClane

Star Member
Aug 4, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
About healthcare, check with Ontario how it works. Over the weekend I read a story about a woman who moved from Ontario to Quebec and one bit mentioned that during the first six month she was paying for the services, but Ontario was reimbursing here (or Quebec was billing Ontario directly). It makes sense, I wouldn't think people would be left with no care when moving across provinces.

nawabsaab

Star Member
Jun 25, 2014
Hey guys how are you?
I am shifting to quebec on 31 may , and i have lots of question and query
First of all i got Investor PR my Dad is main applicant
We all know that quebec is french city without language the life wont taste delicious. i ll try my best to learn French.

I have a question about medical , i heard that we ll get medical insurence after 3 months but reading your guys post it seems like we have to wait 6 months. Is that true ?
and if i shift my place do i have to apply again for the medical insurance in that province ? Can someone explain me this
TY