+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Relocate to Quebec from Ontario after landing...

Koifish76

May 24, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-05-2014 (ECAS)
Doc's Request.
IMM5540 29-04-2014, Intent to return 18-08-2014, PCC 26-08-2014
File Transfer...
Same day as SA. 15-07-2014
Med's Done....
Nov.4,2013
Passport Req..
9/24/2014(email)...same day IP
VISA ISSUED...
10/13/2014
LANDED..........
Oct.20, 2014!
Has anyone done this???

I, the sponsor live in Ontario, but have been making a long commute to Quebec each day for work. I don't wish to notify CIC anything just yet, or make an inquiry (fearing it could delay things) as we are near the end stages and should be getting COPR and passport back sometime this month.

So, after applicant gets Passport back and lands in Ottawa as a Permanent Resident, we are thinking of relocating to quebec. Does applicant or sponsor need to notify CIC after landing of intent to move? Any documents to be completed at that time? CSQ?

Also, If PR card is mailed to my current address in Ontario, is the card province specific? In other words, would applicant have any problems applying to get health coverage in Quebec (aware it would take 3 months)? And could this piece of mail be re-directed along with my other mail or is there a signature required?

Hopefully someone has some insight... We are stressing about this at the moment.

Koifish76

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
As I have seen posted here before. They will ask the applicant for their CSQ when you attempt to get a health card for them.

costaudjoe

Oct 30, 2011
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
NA
Koifish76 said:
Has anyone done this???

I, the sponsor live in Ontario, but have been making a long commute to Quebec each day for work. I don't wish to notify CIC anything just yet, or make an inquiry (fearing it could delay things) as we are near the end stages and should be getting COPR and passport back sometime this month.

So, after applicant gets Passport back and lands in Ottawa as a Permanent Resident, we are thinking of relocating to quebec. Does applicant or sponsor need to notify CIC after landing of intent to move? Any documents to be completed at that time? CSQ?

Also, If PR card is mailed to my current address in Ontario, is the card province specific? In other words, would applicant have any problems applying to get health coverage in Quebec (aware it would take 3 months)? And could this piece of mail be re-directed along with my other mail or is there a signature required?

Hopefully someone has some insight... We are stressing about this at the moment.

Koifish76
You could suffer some grief as you would not have the CSQ which opens the door for healthcare, free French lessons, reduced university costs, etc.

In order to get the CSQ you have to pay around $400 and fill out some additional forms...

Koifish76

May 24, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-05-2014 (ECAS)
Doc's Request.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Nov.4,2013
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
10/13/2014
LANDED..........
Oct.20, 2014!
costaudjoe said:
You could suffer some grief as you would not have the CSQ which opens the door for healthcare, free French lessons, reduced university costs, etc.

In order to get the CSQ you have to pay around $400 and fill out some additional forms...
Is there somewhere I can find more information about this? I cant be the first to move to a new province after applicant lands. All I could find are the forms you fill out at the beginning of the immigration process.

Our case is differnet... After the process is over, and applicant has PR, are there special instructions for permanent residents to follow before moving to Quebec? Pay 400???? Seems silly.

costaudjoe

Oct 30, 2011
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
NA
Koifish76 said:
Is there somewhere I can find more information about this? I cant be the first to move to a new province after applicant lands. All I could find are the forms you fill out at the beginning of the immigration process.

Our case is differnet... After the process is over, and applicant has PR, are there special instructions for permanent residents to follow before moving to Quebec? Pay 400???? Seems silly.
It does seem silly however it's what we had to do to get approval since Quebec has a hand in its immigration.

My gut feeling is that your partner will have to qualify as a regular Canadian moving to Quebec. That is to say proof of living 3 months in Quebec. This should allow access to the healthcare system and probably post-secondary education. The free French lessons are not made available to Canadians migrating to Quebec.

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
Koifish76 said:

Here's the thing. It's not just a new province, it's "Quebec". Of Canada's 10 children (errr provinces), that's the one with (ahem) 'special needs'.

costaudjoe

Oct 30, 2011
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
NA
From what I have read, you cannot land in Quebec without a CSQ.

Not sure what your plans are...

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Koifish76 said:

It's the fact that you're moving to Quebec. If you were moving to Alberta, BC, Saskatchewan, any of the territories etc., there would be ZERO issues. However, Quebec has an agreement with the federal government to basically select it's own immigrants; this is why Quebec applicants must apply for a CSQ (Certificat de sélection du Québec).

A PR has the right to live anywhere in Canada; your spouse will be fully entitled to move to Quebec. That said, without a CSQ showing that Quebec "approved of your spouse", s/he will face issues accessing provincial services.

Koifish76

May 24, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-05-2014 (ECAS)
Doc's Request.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Nov.4,2013
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
10/13/2014
LANDED..........
Oct.20, 2014!
canuck_in_uk said:
It's the fact that you're moving to Quebec. If you were moving to Alberta, BC, Saskatchewan, any of the territories etc., there would be ZERO issues. However, Quebec has an agreement with the federal government to basically select it's own immigrants; this is why Quebec applicants must apply for a CSQ (Certificat de sélection du Québec).

A PR has the right to live anywhere in Canada; your spouse will be fully entitled to move to Quebec. That said, without a CSQ showing that Quebec "approved of your spouse", s/he will face issues accessing provincial services.
Thanks for the help everyone. Dont want any problems obtaining health coverage, so we will remain in Ontario for the time being. Just wanted to shorten the commute and saw that apartments in Gatineau are far cheaper than Ottawa. Don't think My co-workers will believe me when I tell them I am practically not welcome to live in Quebec because of a differnent application process.

Koifish76

May 24, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-05-2014 (ECAS)
Doc's Request.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Nov.4,2013
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
10/13/2014
LANDED..........
Oct.20, 2014!
costaudjoe said:
From what I have read, you cannot land in Quebec without a CSQ.

Not sure what your plans are...
Like I said, applicant will land in Ottawa. We will live in Ontario, but was wondering about relocating after PR is finished.

Now my plans are to remain in Ontario, get settled and perhaps move one day in the distant future.

costaudjoe

Oct 30, 2011
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
NA
Koifish76 said:
Thanks for the help everyone. Dont want any problems obtaining health coverage, so we will remain in Ontario for the time being. Just wanted to shorten the commute and saw that apartments in Gatineau are far cheaper than Ottawa. Don't think My co-workers will believe me when I tell them I am practically not welcome to live in Quebec because of a differnent application process.
That's really not the right spin to put on it. You are more than welcome to live in Quebec. If it were important enough, you could go through the CSQ process. But truth be told, even if you land in Ontario, you will have to wait 3 months to get healthcare coverage. According to the Quebec website (http://www.ramq.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrants-foreign-workers-students/health-insurance/Pages/eligibility.aspx), as a permanent resident moving from another part of Canada you would have to wait 6 months. So basically it boils down to a difference of 3 months. You could either: get OHIP and then flip into the Carte soleil OR go another 3 months uninsured or through a private insurer.

Either way Quebec is as welcoming to your partner as it is to any other Canadian.