+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Relatives in Canada

alexvgs

Feb 2, 2008
I have some distant relatives in Canada. My mother's brother's wife's brother. I also have my grand-father's 2nd cousin's son there. Do I have to disclose all of the relatives in the application form? Or are they asking about close relatives like mother's brother, first cousin, sibling, parent etc?

Thanks
Alex

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

alexvgs said:
I have some distant relatives in Canada. My mother's brother's wife's brother. I also have my grand-father's 2nd cousin's son there. Do I have to disclose all of the relatives in the application form? Or are they asking about close relatives like mother's brother, first cousin, sibling, parent etc?

Thanks
Alex
Read the instructions for the IMM 5406 it tells you exactly who has to be listed.

PMM

alexvgs

Feb 2, 2008
PMM,

I guess I mistated my question. I had this question in my mind and was also thinking of filling up the forms and probably got two things mixed up.

So, my real question is, at the interview at Buffalo, if they ask me whether I have any relatives in Canada, do I have to disclose all my distant relatives in Canada or can I say "no, I have no close relatives in canada". My question is what does "close relative" mean in Canadian terms? Does that include all the descendants of Adam and Eve (I'm exaggerating) or only a sibling, first cousin, grand-parent, parent etc?

Thanks
Alex

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

alexvgs said:
PMM,

I guess I mistated my question. I had this question in my mind and was also thinking of filling up the forms and probably got two things mixed up.

So, my real question is, at the interview at Buffalo, if they ask me whether I have any relatives in Canada, do I have to disclose all my distant relatives in Canada or can I say "no, I have no close relatives in canada". My question is what does "close relative" mean in Canadian terms? Does that include all the descendants of Adam and Eve (I'm exaggerating) or only a sibling, first cousin, grand-parent, parent etc?

Thanks
Alex
Close, cousins is about it, unless you claimed the 5 points for having brother/sister/parent/aunt/uncle/grandparent/niece/nephew in Canada.

PMM

Kalaivanee

Jun 7, 2014
I have brother in law who is the brother of my wife and she is also accompanying me. Will brother in law come under any close relatives in Canada?

MyCANdream

May 6, 2017
Good day all
I am asking this question on behalf of my cousin who has made a express entry profile but she has not declared about her maternal uncle and aunt who are citizens of Canada and living there for past 30 years . Please let me know if this can be a reason for her application rejection during scrutiny . My cousins mother is expected to travel to her brother and sister in a few months time in Canada so this can be a potential alert as all information will be shared in embassy
Regards
Thanks all
Look forward to a quick reply

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
MyCANdream said:
Good day all
I am asking this question on behalf of my cousin who has made a express entry profile but she has not declared about her maternal uncle and aunt who are citizens of Canada and living there for past 30 years . Please let me know if this can be a reason for her application rejection during scrutiny . My cousins mother is expected to travel to her brother and sister in a few months time in Canada so this can be a potential alert as all information will be shared in embassy
Regards
Thanks all
Look forward to a quick reply
It's not