+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Relative meets requirements, but would need to come back to Canada, apply and leave shortly after, realistic ?

SuperMongoose

Star Member
Oct 10, 2017
Brother is a PR, with a little more than 3 years of continuous residency in Canada, despite meeting the requirements, we planned on applying only when we came back.

It happened that bro had a mental breakdown past few months that renders restarting his life in Canada very stressful for him to do right now, all our support network (family) is outside Canada.

He would like to come back to Canada for 2 or 3 weeks, just enough to apply and leave, and only come back when he's doing better. I would stay in Canada.

Can such an application realistically result in a positive result or should he just accept he'd have to come back later and only apply after 3 more years ? (He'll ask for PR card renewal too in all cases)

Thank you

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
Brother is a PR, with a little more than 3 years of continuous residency in Canada, despite meeting the requirements, we planned on applying only when we came back.

It happened that bro had a mental breakdown past few months that renders restarting his life in Canada very stressful for him to do right now, all our support network (family) is outside Canada.

He would like to come back to Canada for 2 or 3 weeks, just enough to apply and leave, and only come back when he's doing better. I would stay in Canada.

Can such an application realistically result in a positive result or should he just accept he'd have to come back later and only apply after 3 more years ? (He'll ask for PR card renewal too in all cases)

Thank you
Hope your Brother is improving.

Search the forum- there are many similar threads on leaving Canada after applying.

Reactions: SuperMongoose

SuperMongoose

Star Member
Oct 10, 2017
Hope your Brother is improving.

Search the forum- there are many similar threads on leaving Canada after applying.
Thank you.

Yes, I did that, the difference is that we left for more than a year, and only applying on our return, and he's not staying then, only I would... I will ask an RCIC

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
One can apply and leave Canada, however, there are implications on PR status depending on how long the application takes and time spent by applicant outside Canada. For now, online tests / interviews are still in place - future position of IRCC on these issues remains to be seen. Maybe they will become the norm, maybe done away with completely. Good luck to your brother.

Reactions: SuperMongoose

SuperMongoose

Star Member
Oct 10, 2017
One can apply and leave Canada, however, there are implications on PR status depending on how long the application takes and time spent by applicant outside Canada. For now, online tests / interviews are still in place - future position of IRCC on these issues remains to be seen. Maybe they will become the norm, maybe done away with completely. Good luck to your brother.
Thank you.
Yes, 2 years in last 5, minimum to maintain PR status during citizenship processing.

Last edited: