+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Rejection...what else is new....

Gemini1

Star Member
Apr 4, 2011
Hello Everyone...

First post here...and to be honest it is quite unexpected. I have been reading through the posts religiously and though we had it all covered. My friend wanted to come and visit me from Serbia. He was on a limited amount of time off from work, so had to come for specific dates. He filled out all the applications and went over them time and again until it was perfect. He submitted the applications, a notarized letter of invitation from me, my bank statements, my letter of employment, his letter of employment, his bank statements, his car ownership, a letter from his parents (ties to home), a return airplane ticket, his passports with many stamps and a US visa in it... He only wanted to come and visit for one month...not 6...not 3...just one month! We provided everything necessary...and he was denied. They said the same thing...he didn't have sufficient funds ($2500 US for one month, plus me saying I was going to support him), that he didn't have a strong enough reason to return home (a job, a family, money, a car...what else can they expect from a 27 year old?!?). The whole situation makes me sick, it makes me ashamed and embarassed to be a Canadian....I thought we were supposed to be an all welcoming and accepting nation. So much for that. Yes, I do understand why these stipulations are in place...but there was no malicious intent...just a young guy that wanted to visit a friend in Canada while on holiday. I don't think he even stood a chance in the first place. Is it worth trying again? Is he missing anything...or are they just out to get Serbians?
Thanks everyone. Good luck to the rest.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Its nothing personal, dont worry about it, your friend can always apply again. Yes in theory Canada is a very welcoming nation, but we also have to keep in mind some people dont have the right intentions and like to exploit the wonderful things Canada offers that other countries dont. Like I said before you can always apply again and hopefully things will be favorable.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
I was told by a Canadian who says he knows what goes on behind the scenes in Visa Offices that each VO has very little time to assess each application. So the careful thought we put into the application goes largely unnoticed by the VO.

To exacerbate the problem of limited time, there are travel companies that routinely send applications to many embassies, hoping for a single acceptance, and then they send their client to the one country that gave a travel visa.

So, re-apply immediately and explain why your application is a valid one. That will immediately differentiate your application from the hordes of applications sent by travel companies, and will -- according to my "informant" -- get your application past the initial "NO!!!" stage.

My experience in part supports this strategy. My wife's application for a travel visa was refused. I got the CAIPS notes, analyzed the VO's reasoning, then sent in a rebuttal showing that the VO had used poor logic. I received a reply advising me to submit anther application and to include my points in a cover letter. But I had done just that in the initial application!!

What's the point here? Just that VOs don't have time to read an initial application carefully, and if you have send a second application replying to their conrerns, even if it is just repetition of your original cover letter, it will get more attention.

Good luck.

Gemini1

Star Member
Apr 4, 2011
Thanks Toby!

We really did do a lot of research and found out what documents were needed. How many "assets" can a 27 year old have? He is on holiday from work, like I said and that's why we wanted to do it right, because he had a limited amount of time to come. I don't think 1 month is anything out of the ordinary. He has a car, and a bank account and a family that he lives with, and a job that he has to be back for at the end of May and enough money to support himself for 1 month in Canada...what else are they looking for?
When he went to the embassy today, he handed in his application and was asked how he knew me, what our "relationship" was (friends!) and why he wanted to come. She told him right then and there it didn't look good and his job wasn't strong enough. He was told to come back in 1 hour. Sure enough, he received the dreaded letter stating why, upon inspection of his application, he was being denied.
So Tony, you think he should try again? He just cancelled his plane ticket (refundable upon rejection of visa). You say to explain why his application is valid....in letter form?? So basically take every piece of supporting evidence and say why it should be sufficient? He told me they kept everything except his visa.... Does he need to fill out all the applications etc again? The "1 day turnaround" for the office in Belgrade really made me wonder if they DO even give much consideration to Serbians...
How do we obtain CAIPS notes and send in a rebuttal?

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
Gemini1 said:
Thanks Toby!

We really did do a lot of research and found out what documents were needed. How many "assets" can a 27 year old have? He is on holiday from work, like I said and that's why we wanted to do it right, because he had a limited amount of time to come. I don't think 1 month is anything out of the ordinary. He has a car, and a bank account and a family that he lives with, and a job that he has to be back for at the end of May and enough money to support himself for 1 month in Canada...what else are they looking for?
When he went to the embassy today, he handed in his application and was asked how he knew me, what our "relationship" was (friends!) and why he wanted to come. She told him right then and there it didn't look good and his job wasn't strong enough. He was told to come back in 1 hour. Sure enough, he received the dreaded letter stating why, upon inspection of his application, he was being denied.
So Tony, you think he should try again? He just cancelled his plane ticket (refundable upon rejection of visa). You say to explain why his application is valid....in letter form?? So basically take every piece of supporting evidence and say why it should be sufficient? He told me they kept everything except his visa.... Does he need to fill out all the applications etc again? The "1 day turnaround" for the office in Belgrade really made me wonder if they DO even give much consideration to Serbians...
Do many Serbians claim refugee status in other countries?

A very knowledgeable consultant on this forum states that if a VO gives a visa to someone, who once in Canada claims refugee status or overstays the visa, then that VO and office get a big, fat, black mark against them.

Re apply and as Toby stated try and explain again, everything you have explained here. It may not be his application that has been refused, rather than a general blanket refusal due to other applicants not being quite as honest as your friend is.

Do not blame Canada, blame those that have abused the system in the past.

Gemini1

Star Member
Apr 4, 2011
Should he have been given back all of the documents he submitted? How is he supposed to reapply if he doesn't have the letters and the passport photos and translations etc?

ae03yy

Oct 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Seattl
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 18, 2011
sorrrrrrrrry for the bad news. However, note that you should always submit copies along with originals and give them the copioes. All docs that you hand in becomes the property of Visa Office.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Gemini1 said:
Thanks Toby!

Answer:
Sorry, I did not see this question until just now.

It seems likely that they are giving a pro-forma "no". To get the CAIPS notes, Google "CAIPS notes Canada" and hire one of the companies that will get the notes to you faster. If you're in Canada, the time advantage is not as great as it was for me (in China), but at least using a company will reduce mailing times (they use email to you).

Unfortunately the waiting time is about 30 business days, so this advice might be too late for your friend: you might not be able to wait 30 business days.

If that is the case -- re-apply immediately, argue the case in a new cover letter, refer to the documents the embassy has retained, and explain that your friend must have an answer now because he must be back in his/her country by a certain time to return to his job. Back this up with a letter from his employer.

So Tony, you think he should try again?
Yes,

He told me they kept everything except his visa.... Does he need to fill out all the applications etc again? The "1 day turnaround" for the office in Belgrade really made me wonder if they DO even give much consideration to Serbians...