+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Rejection based on address on IMM 5406

tiffane6

Jun 21, 2017
Hi everyone

I just called CIC and the woman on the phone told me that if returned application letters specifically mention that one item was missing, that they have reviewed the entire application and have pointed out the only issue. Apparently if they stop mid-application they will mention in their response. Does anyone know if this is true?

The only point on ours relates to an address in the IMM 5406 form and it's such a small thing that has caused the returned that we are very upset that return was based on this one issue. The common mistakes document notes that a full address is required on forms and not to abbreviate and the actual IMM 5406 form does not allow for many characters. I find it very infuriating that CIC would not upload forms that allow for a sufficient number of characters to satisfy their requirements. I'm not talking an essay here - a basic address will not fit.

We are now considering paying an immigration consultant to review our application before we resubmit as we can't bare to lose another two months.

Thanks for your advice.

Last edited:

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Hi everyone

I just called CIC and the woman on the phone told me that if rejection letters specifically mention that one item was missing, that they have reviewed the entire application and have pointed out the only issue. Apparently if they stop mid-application they will mention in their response. Does anyone know if this is true?

The only point on ours relates to an address in the IMM 5406 form and it's such a small thing that has caused the rejection that we are very upset that rejection was based on this one issue. The common mistakes document notes that a full address is required on forms and not to abbreviate and the actual IMM 5406 form does not allow for many characters. I find it very infuriating that CIC would not upload forms that allow for a sufficient number of characters to satisfy their requirements. I'm not talking an essay here - a basic address will not fit.

We are now considering paying an immigration consultant to review our application before we resubmit as we can't bare to lose another two months.

Thanks for your advice.
To clarify, your app was returned, not rejected.

Reactions: Jemnay and YVR123

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
Hi everyone

I just called CIC and the woman on the phone told me that if rejection letters specifically mention that one item was missing, that they have reviewed the entire application and have pointed out the only issue. Apparently if they stop mid-application they will mention in their response. Does anyone know if this is true?

The only point on ours relates to an address in the IMM 5406 form and it's such a small thing that has caused the rejection that we are very upset that rejection was based on this one issue. The common mistakes document notes that a full address is required on forms and not to abbreviate and the actual IMM 5406 form does not allow for many characters. I find it very infuriating that CIC would not upload forms that allow for a sufficient number of characters to satisfy their requirements. I'm not talking an essay here - a basic address will not fit.

Thanks for your advice.
When my app was returned, they did not point out everything that needed to be corrected. It ended up being returned multiple times for reasons that all could have been corrected the first go round. I had issues with 5406 as well.

You will not regret hiring a consultant to look everything over - wish I had! Usually you can pay someone a one time fee to check everything over for you (you don't have to hire them to help you throughout the entire process).

JulianaAndrew

Feb 14, 2017
Colombia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Bogota
App. Filed.......
26-07-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A and PCC: 01-09-2017
AOR Received.
AOR1: 01-09-2017, AOR2: 19-09-2017
File Transfer...
15-09-2017
Med's Request
02-01-2018
Med's Done....
23-01-2018
Interview........
06-12-2017 - Passed
Passport Req..
06-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2018
LANDED..........
10-03-2018
As you point it out yourself, a full address is required on the forms, so this was your mistake. If you read the guides, you should know that in case you need more space, you just attach a paper sheet with the information along with the forms.

tiffane6

Jun 21, 2017
When my app was returned, they did not point out everything that needed to be corrected. It ended up being returned multiple times for reasons that all could have been corrected the first go round. I had issues with 5406 as well.

You will not regret hiring a consultant to look everything over - wish I had! Usually you can pay someone a one time fee to check everything over for you (you don't have to hire them to help you throughout the entire process).
This makes me sold on hiring someone. Thank you!

tiffane6

Jun 21, 2017
As you point it out yourself, a full address is required on the forms, so this was your mistake. If you read the guides, you should know that in case you need more space, you just attach a paper sheet with the information along with the forms.
Yes I realise that but my point is that they make things more difficult then they have to be. Why not accommodate with a form that allows for sufficient address details. It's logical.

JulianaAndrew

Feb 14, 2017
Colombia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Bogota
App. Filed.......
26-07-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A and PCC: 01-09-2017
AOR Received.
AOR1: 01-09-2017, AOR2: 19-09-2017
File Transfer...
15-09-2017
Med's Request
02-01-2018
Med's Done....
23-01-2018
Interview........
06-12-2017 - Passed
Passport Req..
06-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2018
LANDED..........
10-03-2018
Why not accommodate with a form that allows for sufficient address details. It's logical.
I don't think many people here would know the answer to that question. As a start, this is very upsetting for you. There are people whose applications get returned even though everything was perfect (Mississauga making mistakes). However, I think you will find, later on in the process, that the worst is yet to come. Well, that is mostly if you live apart fro your partner. Anyway, there are many, many things that can be improved, but there are not that many changes to this process. This is only the beginning for you, but sadly, it won't be the last time you're upset over this process. But there is a light at the end of the tunnel, fortunately.

Reactions: Jemnay

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Yes I realise that but my point is that they make things more difficult then they have to be. Why not accommodate with a form that allows for sufficient address details. It's logical.
So I don't think this is a CIC problem but a UX/Technology interface problem

tiffane6

Jun 21, 2017
I don't think many people here would know the answer to that question. As a start, this is very upsetting for you. There are people whose applications get returned even though everything was perfect (Mississauga making mistakes). However, I think you will find, later on in the process, that the worst is yet to come. Well, that is mostly if you live apart fro your partner. Anyway, there are many, many things that can be improved, but there are not that many changes to this process. This is only the beginning for you, but sadly, it won't be the last time you're upset over this process. But there is a light at the end of the tunnel, fortunately.
Very truthful points!

VUPtoYOW

Star Member
Jan 14, 2018
Seeing those rejection cases here...I'm really thinking about hiring a immigration lawyer to take a look on my documents, before sending the application....

kprs_ind

Apr 17, 2013
Chennai
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-08-2013
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
06-10-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
10-03-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2014
LANDED..........
29-07-2014
Again not rejected. Returned. Not the same thing.

Having a consultant look over the file with a second set of eyes is certainly never harmful :)
What's the reason for return?

Forte

Nov 14, 2016
Hi everyone

I just called CIC and the woman on the phone told me that if returned application letters specifically mention that one item was missing, that they have reviewed the entire application and have pointed out the only issue. Apparently if they stop mid-application they will mention in their response. Does anyone know if this is true?

The only point on ours relates to an address in the IMM 5406 form and it's such a small thing that has caused the returned that we are very upset that return was based on this one issue. The common mistakes document notes that a full address is required on forms and not to abbreviate and the actual IMM 5406 form does not allow for many characters. I find it very infuriating that CIC would not upload forms that allow for a sufficient number of characters to satisfy their requirements. I'm not talking an essay here - a basic address will not fit.

Thanks for your advice.
Hi what exactly was the issue with the address?