+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Rejected visitor visa for in laws.

PR_User

Star Member
Apr 16, 2013
I am currently employed full time in Canada for the past two years and me and husband are PRs as well.

We recently applied for visitor visa for my father in law and mother in law who are dependent on my husband's income.

But their visa got rejected stating the below conditions do not meet the requirements,

1)You have not satisfied me that you would leave Canada at the end of your stay as temporary resident.In reaching this decision.I considered several afctors including:

a)Travel history
b)Length of proposed stay in canada
c)Purpose of visit

2)I am not satisfied that you have sufficient funds,including income or assets to carry out your stated purpose in going to Canada or maintain yourself while in canada and to effect you departure.

But we showed around 1.5 lakhs INR (approx 3000 CAD) and my father in law's property documents.My father in law is self employed in retail industry.

All we want is to take them on a foreign trip from India to Canada.We have clearly mentioned that we will take care of the expenses.

I am full time employed and my husband is on contracting(Both are in IT).

Should we go for a Super parent/grandparent visa or reapply with some bank balance in their account.

Please advise.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

For how long do your in-laws intend to visit?

What did they state as the purpose of their visit?

Yes, the finances your in-laws have shown are very low to support their visit (even though your husband may pay for some components of their visit). Applicants must prove they have the finances.

Any last-minute deposits that you may transfer to your in-laws bank account could result in another refusal.

If your FIL is self-employed, does he own a registered business/company? Does he file taxes as an individual + for his business/company?
What documents did he submit to prove his finances + his self-employment?
Do your in-laws have other financial investments such as FDs/RDs/mutual funds/shares/PPF/LIC/etc?
What documents did your FIL provide for his property ownership and valuation?
Have your in-laws traveled abroad earlier?

Cheers

PR_User

Star Member
Apr 16, 2013
For how long do your in-laws intend to visit? -- We put as 5 months stay

What did they state as the purpose of their visit? -- Sight seeing/tourism

Yes, the finances your in-laws have shown are very low to support their visit (even though your husband may pay for some components of their visit). Applicants must prove they have the finances.
Any last-minute deposits that you may transfer to your in-laws bank account could result in another refusal. -- We transferred before visa applictaion

If your FIL is self-employed, does he own a registered business/company? Does he file taxes as an individual + for his business/company? -- he owns a small business and not that much of revenue and we take care of their monthly expenses
What documents did he submit to prove his finances + his self-employment? -- Shop rental agreement
Do your in-laws have other financial investments such as FDs/RDs/mutual funds/shares/PPF/LIC/etc? -- No
What documents did your FIL provide for his property ownership and valuation? -- Yes , he did. around 80 Lakhs INR(163256 CAD approx)
Have your in-laws traveled abroad earlier? -- No

PR_User

Star Member
Apr 16, 2013
I have updated the reasons for refusal from the CIC letter in my original post.Please have a look.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

The two key reasons for the visa refusal are lack of finances/good financial situation + wanting to visit for 5 months.

Length of visit
By stating a visit of 5 months, your FIL's employment ties in India appear weak.... as he can quite literally shut shop and visit for 5 months.... this indicates the possibility of overstaying the visit.

You may want to state a much shorter visit when you reapply.... 3-4 weeks at the max.

Financial Situation
Based on the points you've mentioned, it could become tough to convince the visa officer that your in-laws have adequate finances to support their visit.

The bank deposits you made just before applying for their TRVs have also added to the refusal.

Does your FIL file income tax returns?
Do they live in the property owned by your FIL? Or is it rented out?
Is the property mortgaged?

Do your in-laws have any other strong ties/reasons to return to India:
Any other dependent/immediate family who reside with them?
Any other responsibilities/commitments.... such as member of the managing committee of a housing society? Volunteer work?
A must-return by date for some reason, such as a family event, etc? No one else can manage his business in his absence, hence, he must return?

In my opinion it is going to be a challenge to convince the visa officer that your in-laws are only visiting/have a good financial situation. You may want to reapply for only one in-law (with the other in-law as the *family tie* to return to the home country) by showing adequate finances..... or you may want to re-apply for both of them when their financial situation improves considerably.... without any last-minute bank deposits in both cases

Cheers

PR_User

Star Member
Apr 16, 2013
Length of visit
By stating a visit of 5 months, your FIL's employment ties in India appear weak.... as he can quite literally shut shop and visit for 5 months.... this indicates the possibility of overstaying the visit.

You may want to state a much shorter visit when you reapply.... 3-4 weeks at the max. -- yes, seems reasonable

Financial Situation
Based on the points you've mentioned, it could become tough to convince the visa officer that your in-laws have adequate finances to support their visit.

The bank deposits you made just before applying for their TRVs have also added to the refusal.

Does your FIL file income tax returns? No
Do they live in the property owned by your FIL? Or is it rented out? It is a land/site. They live in the property owned by my husband
Is the property mortgaged? Yes by my husband

Do your in-laws have any other strong ties/reasons to return to India:
Any other dependent/immediate family who reside with them? Yes my sis in law is residing with them
Any other responsibilities/commitments.... such as member of the managing committee of a housing society? Volunteer work? None
A must-return by date for some reason, such as a family event, etc? No one else can manage his business in his absence, hence, he must return? None

In my opinion it is going to be a challenge to convince the visa officer that your in-laws are only visiting/have a good financial situation. You may want to reapply for only one in-law (with the other in-law as the *family tie* to return to the home country) by showing adequate finances..... or you may want to re-apply for both of them when their financial situation improves considerably.... without any last-minute bank deposits in both cases

Thanks for your valuable inputs. Planning to reapply after 6 months..Might appy for my MIL since I am pregnant and need her help during child birth.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

If you reapply only for your MIL then her chances of getting a TRV are better.... as she can show your FIL and SIL as her family ties to return to.... along with other ties.

For your FIL's strong ties:
Property owned by your husband: Does your FIL have a Power of Attorney to pay maintenance dues, taxes, etc? This will help as a *tie* too

Land ownership: If your FIL plans to construct on the land, then you may want to submit the necessary documents to show he will return to India do this.... even if it is to fence the land or any other preliminary tasks.

Family Ties: Your SIL

An aside:
Even if the incomes of your FIL and MIL are below the Taxable Income threshold..... they MUST file their tax returns in India..... they could file it as NIL returns (income is below the taxable limit).

Anyone who owns land/property etc is *under the scanner*..... bank accounts are now linked..... a PAN Card is necessary for opening a bank account/or will be demanded during KYC (Know Your Customer).

Failure to file even NIL Tax Returns will result in penalties.... and it is not worth going through the hassle.

Also, as per the Canada TRV document checklist for India.... you must submit ITRs for the last 2 years.

Cheers :)

MPawankumar

Dec 3, 2014
Bryanna said:
Hi,

If you reapply only for your MIL then her chances of getting a TRV are better.... as she can show your FIL and SIL as her family ties to return to.... along with other ties.

For your FIL's strong ties:
Property owned by your husband: Does your FIL have a Power of Attorney to pay maintenance dues, taxes, etc? This will help as a *tie* too

Land ownership: If your FIL plans to construct on the land, then you may want to submit the necessary documents to show he will return to India do this.... even if it is to fence the land or any other preliminary tasks.

Dear bryana,
this is MPKUMar,
please see your inbox, its urgent,
thanks lot.

Family Ties: Your SIL

An aside:
Even if the incomes of your FIL and MIL are below the Taxable Income threshold..... they MUST file their tax returns in India..... they could file it as NIL returns (income is below the taxable limit).

Anyone who owns land/property etc is *under the scanner*..... bank accounts are now linked..... a PAN Card is necessary for opening a bank account/or will be demanded during KYC (Know Your Customer).

Failure to file even NIL Tax Returns will result in penalties.... and it is not worth going through the hassle.

Also, as per the Canada TRV document checklist for India.... you must submit ITRs for the last 2 years.

Cheers :)