+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

register for election question

yyzhuang

Mar 18, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I went to the website as indicated on a handout given to me at the ceremony to register to vote: elections.ca/register As I filled out the online form, it showed something like "Please enter your personal information below. This information will be used to verify whether you are a registered elector." But I've never registered before. So this message seems strange. Then as I proceeded, it finally showed "Based on the information provided, we cannot confirm that you are registered to vote."

Do you know if I went to the wrong website? Or anything else can be the reason of this? I took oath last Thursday so it's not yet 3 business days. Could this be the reason?

yukon

Apr 6, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yyzhuang said:
I went to the website as indicated on a handout given to me at the ceremony to register to vote: elections.ca/register As I filled out the online form, it showed something like "Please enter your personal information below. This information will be used to verify whether you are a registered elector." But I've never registered before. So this message seems strange. Then as I proceeded, it finally showed "Based on the information provided, we cannot confirm that you are registered to vote."

Do you know if I went to the wrong website? Or anything else can be the reason of this? I took oath last Thursday so it's not yet 3 business days. Could this be the reason?
I registered on elections.ca using my driver license & it went through- and this was the next day after I got my citizenship.
Did you use your driver license using the online registration process? For BC the BCID does not work, only the driver's license.
Else you will need to visit your local Elections Canada office-just input your postal code on the same site to get the address & returning officer info.

yukon

Apr 6, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BTW Congratulations yyzhuang on your Citizenship !!

yyzhuang

Mar 18, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yukon said:
I registered on elections.ca using my driver license & it went through- and this was the next day after I got my citizenship.
Did you use your driver license using the online registration process? For BC the BCID does not work, only the driver's license.
Else you will need to visit your local Elections Canada office-just input your postal code on the same site to get the address & returning officer info.
Am I on the wrong page? I was here https://ereg.elections.ca/CWelcome.aspx

Use this service to:

check if you're registered to vote
update the address on your voter registration, or
register to vote
Then I answered questions
Are you a Canadian citizen?
Yes, I am a Canadian citizen No, I am not a Canadian citizen
Will you be 18 years of age or older on October 19, 2015?
Yes, I am 18 years of age or older No, I am not 18 years of age or older
Is your home address in Canada?
Yes, my home address is in Canada No, my home address is not in Canada
Are you a Canadian Forces elector?
Yes, I am a Canadian Forces elector No
Then typed in name, date of birth, home address, enter security code, and submit. Nowhere on the page asked for a drivers license (BTW I don't have one ::))

yyzhuang

Mar 18, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yukon said:
BTW Congratulations yyzhuang on your Citizenship !!
Thank you!!! I'm gonna apply for passport tomorrow. Woohoo!

yukon

Apr 6, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yyzhuang said:
Am I on the wrong page? I was here https://ereg.elections.ca/CWelcome.aspx

Then I answered questions
Then typed in name, date of birth, home address, enter security code, and submit. Nowhere on the page asked for a drivers license (BTW I don't have one ::))
Yes, you are on the right page.
After you submit all your personal info, it will come to the page where it says that whether you are registered to vote or not. If not, then it says you can complete your registration online by submitting your driver's license or provincial ID (not for BC). It seems Elections Canada has it's databases linked with most major provincial & federal services like Service Canada, ICBC, CIC etc.

Else you can visit your local electoral office to complete your registration :)

yukon

Apr 6, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yyzhuang said:
Thank you!!! I'm gonna apply for passport tomorrow. Woohoo!
Feels good eh!!
The new passport looks really swanky with all it's watermarks !

yyzhuang

Mar 18, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yukon said:
Yes, you are on the right page.
After you submit all your personal info, it will come to the page where it says that whether you are registered to vote or not. If not, then it says you can complete your registration online by submitting your driver's license or provincial ID (not for BC). It seems Elections Canada has it's databases linked with most major provincial & federal services like Service Canada, ICBC, CIC etc.

Else you can visit your local electoral office to complete your registration :)
Ah I see. Maybe because I don't have a deiver's license, my options are these

Based on the information provided, we cannot confirm that you are registered to vote.

Please see your option(s) below.
Register at local office
You can register by contacting your local Elections Canada office. If you must go in person, remember to bring acceptable proof of identity and address with you. You can find your local office through the Voter Information Service. If you need assistance, contact Elections Canada Headquarters at 1-800-463-6868.
Deadline for updates and registrations
Please note that you have until 6 p.m. (local time at your home address) on October 13, 2015, to register or to make any changes to your registration. After that deadline, the only way to update your voter registration is at your polling place on election day.
Your electoral district
Get information about your electoral district, your local Elections Canada office and where to vote during an election, and more, through our Voter Information Service.
I don't see the option to submit driver's license or provincial ID. I do have a BC services card but that doesn't seem to suffice. Anyways, I will call them to see what I can do.

yyzhuang

Mar 18, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yukon said:
Feels good eh!!
The new passport looks really swanky with all it's watermarks !
Yes I've seen my friend's passport. Now it's my turn, muhahaha.

yyzhuang

Mar 18, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's strange. When I called elections office, the lady told me new citizens have to go in person to register. I didn't even tell her I don't have a DL. Anybody else have similar experience?

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yyzhuang said:
It's strange. When I called elections office, the lady told me new citizens have to go in person to register. I didn't even tell her I don't have a DL. Anybody else have similar experience?
My spouse registered to vote online using an Ontario driver's licence number...no problem. A friend who is also a new citizen did not have a driver's licence and had to register in person. He was also told that new citizens had to register in person, but that clearly isn't true.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Some observations:

My understanding is that electors (citizens of age to vote) who have not previously been registered for the Federal elections will indeed need to go to your local Elections Canada Office to register in person, with proper identification, proof of status, and proof of residential address.

This can be done on the day of the election if you know your polling location, or at your advance polling place.

Passport plus identification that displays current residential address should suffice. (See gov't website for list of acceptable forms of identification.)

Registration for Provincial, Municipal, and Federal Elections is separate.

I checked the box on the citizenship application form which results in being automatically registered to vote upon becoming a citizen, and thus when I went to the website I found that I was indeed already registered. (Am curious why anyone would not check this box on the application.)

That does not result in being registered for either the Provincial or Municipal elections . . . and, indeed, registering for the Provincial elections does not result in being registered for local/municipal elections, or vice-versa. But the registration process is very, very simple: show up, show proof of citizenship/identity, and address.

Reminder: voters are now required, in the Federal election, to show proper identification and address when they vote. Be prepared.

yyzhuang

Mar 18, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dpenabill said:
Some observations:

My understanding is that electors (citizens of age to vote) who have not previously been registered for the Federal elections will indeed need to go to your local Elections Canada Office to register in person, with proper identification, proof of status, and proof of residential address.

This can be done on the day of the election if you know your polling location, or at your advance polling place.

Passport plus identification that displays current residential address should suffice. (See gov't website for list of acceptable forms of identification.)

I checked the box on the citizenship application form which results in being automatically registered to vote upon becoming a citizen, and thus when I went to the website I found that I was indeed already registered. (Am curious why anyone would not check this box on the application.)

That does not result in being registered for either the Provincial or Municipal elections . . . and, indeed, registering for the Provincial elections does not result in being registered for local/municipal elections, or vice-versa. But the registration process is very, very simple: show up, show proof of citizenship/identity, and address.

Reminder: voters are now required, in the Federal election, to show proper identification and address when they vote. Be prepared.
Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense. But I did check that box in my application form when I applied. Anyways, going in person to register is not too much of a big deal.

BTW I got my passport yesterday. So exciting!!

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dpenabill said:
Some observations:

Well, can only report that we went to the Elections Canada website and my spouse did not show as being registered. Entered info including DL number and then did show as registered.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Elections Canada FAQ on Registration

http://www.elections.ca/content2.aspx?section=faq&dir=reg&document=index&lang=e

"Some people have never been registered in a federal election. They can register online if they supply the number of an accepted ID card and if we have that number on file."

If anyone gets their citizenship soon, and wants to vote in the upcoming federal election, I would suggest that they register online (using a driver's licence) OR, if that's not possible, in person at their local Elections Canada office. Yes, ticking the correct box on the citizenship application will eventually add you to the National Register of Electors, but likely not in time for the election on October 19, 2015. If you do not register in advance: "It is possible to register at your polling place, just before you vote. But it is easier and faster when you register ahead of time."