+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Regarding Sponsorship for Our Incoming Baby

rickyhanzhang

Star Member
May 13, 2017
Hey guys, I have a question about the sponsorship of our baby who will be born in August 2018. Hope you guys could offer some insights. Really appreciate it. So here is our situation:

My wife and I received our PR in Oct 2017. We had a short landing in Vancouver for only a week and flew back to our home country. Last week, my wife was found to be pregnant, and the baby will probably be born in August 2018.

Due to some work-related reasons, we won't be able to give birth to this baby in Canada, so we decided to bring her to Canada after she is born (we plan to bring her to Canada possibly in 2019 or 2020).

So here comes the problem, I heard that as permanent residents, we can only sponsor the immigration of our dependent child from inside Canada. So I guess we have the following options:

1.We apply for a visitor visa for the baby, and bring her with us to Canada, where we can apply a PR for her. But the problem is if both me and my wife are permanent residents, my baby will probably be rejected the visa because of immigration intent, right? (Correct me if I am wrong) Besides, even if we succeed in bring her to Canada through visitor visa, she can only stay for 6 months right? Will that period be enough for the PR application? Or we can always get an extension.

2.I fly to Canada first, and apply for my baby the PR immediately. But are there any requirements for the sponsor? Like I need to have a job, pay certain amount of tax, own a house, etc. Since I just got there, I probably won't be able to fulfill these requirements.

What should I do guys?

PS: I heard there is something called "undertaking". Does it mean that even if we manage to get the PR for the baby, we still have to pay for everything if it is related to her for 10 years? She cannot enjoy all the PR or citizen benefits for 10 years? I don't quite understand this concept.

Thanks again!!!!!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
1.We apply for a visitor visa for the baby, and bring her with us to Canada, where we can apply a PR for her. But the problem is if both me and my wife are permanent residents, my baby will probably be rejected the visa because of immigration intent, right? (Correct me if I am wrong) Besides, even if we succeed in bring her to Canada through visitor visa, she can only stay for 6 months right? Will that period be enough for the PR application? Or we can always get an extension.
You can try tor a TRV, and if that is refused a TRP. There have been many to get visas approved for their babies, although I'm not sure the details or specific situations.

Usually baby would get 6 months status upon entry, and you can always apply to extend that status while PR app is processing.

2.I fly to Canada first, and apply for my baby the PR immediately. But are there any requirements for the sponsor? Like I need to have a job, pay certain amount of tax, own a house, etc. Since I just got there, I probably won't be able to fulfill these requirements.
The main requirement is you're living in Canada. For financials, you just need to explain how you intend to support yourselves after baby gets PR status.

PS: I heard there is something called "undertaking". Does it mean that even if we manage to get the PR for the baby, we still have to pay for everything if it is related to her for 10 years? She cannot enjoy all the PR or citizen benefits for 10 years? I don't quite understand this concept.
No that's not what it means. The baby will be a full PR immediately once the PR app is approved.

The undertaking just means you'll provide your kid the necessities of life (food, clothing, shelter), which you'd be doing anyways.

Reactions: rickyhanzhang

rickyhanzhang

Star Member
May 13, 2017
You can try tor a TRV, and if that is refused a TRP. There have been many to get visas approved for their babies, although I'm not sure the details or specific situations.

Usually baby would get 6 months status upon entry, and you can always apply to extend that status while PR app is processing.

The main requirement is you're living in Canada. For financials, you just need to explain how you intend to support yourselves after baby gets PR status.

No that's not what it means. The baby will be a full PR immediately once the PR app is approved.

The undertaking just means you'll provide your kid the necessities of life (food, clothing, shelter), which you'd be doing anyways.
Thanks a lot for the reply!