+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Regarding renewing study permit after 5 months of expiration (outside Canada)

Mahdi667

Jun 20, 2012
Hi,

I need some advice about renewing my study permit. I entered Canada in July 2010 and studied ESL in two different schools and was given graduation certificates from them. Then I went to university in fall 2011 and studied 3 courses 9 hours per week (fulltime according to university), but I failed in 2 of them and got a C in the other one, so my current academic standing is probation. After finishing this semester, I had to go home for some family reasons, so I left Canada on January 5, 2012 and my study permit expired on January 31, 2012 (didn't stay in Canada illegally). Now, I need to go back to Canada to continue my studies. University sent me a paper shows that I'm eligible to enroll in fall 2012.

My question: Do failing in two courses out of three and being outside Canada for 7 months affect my study permit renewal? (I studied only 1 semester)

I have written a letter explains my family reasons and tells that university has removed the both F, so I can improve my GPA easily. Also, I have prepared the graduation certificates that I got from the English school and a transcript from university.

Please advice. I need to go back to Canada next month. :'(

Regards,
Mahdi

Inam89

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Yes
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
Yes
1. You can not renew your study permit if it expires. You have to apply for a new Study permit.
2. You could have applied for restoration of your student status but for that you should have applied within 90 days of expiry.

Mahdi667

Jun 20, 2012
Inam89 said:
1. You can not renew your study permit if it expires. You have to apply for a new Study permit.
Ok. Im going to apply for a new one. But am I eligible to get a new one in this situation? Do Immigration officers give an opportunity to students who fail in 1st semester?

Inam89

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Yes
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
Yes
Mahdi667 said:
Ok. Im going to apply for a new one. But am I eligible to get a new one in this situation? Do Immigration officers give an opportunity to students who fail in 1st semester?
You are eligible as long as you have valid admission, but bad grades do affect the decision.

Mahdi667

Jun 20, 2012
Inam89 said:
You are eligible as long as you have valid admission, but bad grades do affect the decision.
That's what Im worried about! But since I entered Canada, I never wasted time without studying :( from July 12, 2010 to Sep 30, 2010 I studied in a commercial ESL then from Oct 15, 2010 to July 7, 2011 I studied ESL in an English school that's associated with university that I attended. Then from Sep 9, 2011 to Dec 22, 2011 I studied fall semester.

So I should attach those certificates along with the application. They may help show officer that I'm not a bad student and never stayed in Canada illegally or doing nothing.

I hope they give me a chance to continue studying and improve my GPA.

Inam89

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Yes
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
Yes
Mahdi667 said:
That's what Im worried about! But since I entered Canada, I never wasted time without studying :( from July 12, 2010 to Sep 30, 2010 I studied in a commercial ESL then from Oct 15, 2010 to July 7, 2011 I studied ESL in an English school that's associated with university that I attended. Then from Sep 9, 2011 to Dec 22, 2011 I studied fall semester.

So I should attach those certificates along with the application. They may help show officer that I'm not a bad student and never stayed in Canada illegally or doing nothing.

I hope they give me a chance to continue studying and improve my GPA.
Yes, include them with your application package.

You will be required to show bank statement etc, things that you have done for getting your previous SP.

Mahdi667

Jun 20, 2012
Inam89 said:
Yes, include them with your application package.

You will be required to show bank statement etc, things that you have done for getting your previous SP.
Yeah, I did. I've included study permit application, family application, high school certificate, a copy of old study permit, ESL certificates + fall semester transcript, a passport copy, a certified cheque $125, a letter of explanation, photographs, financial guarantee (sponsored student) and a letter from university (acceptance). I think this is all.