+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Regarding Income Tax filing for current year

karandas.p@gmail.com

Aug 10, 2016
Hello, Good Morning,

I am currently in the process of filling out my application for Canadian citizenship.
I have filed taxes every year since 2015 until 2020.
I haven't filed my taxes yet (for tax year 2021) as I am yet to receive a T4 from my employer and other investment related tax statements from my bank etc..
As of now, I have done the following for my online application:
1. For the question "Taxes filed for 2021" I have selected "No"
2. Required to File? I have selected "Yes"
3. I plan to upload a document explaining the above, i.e I am awaiting tax related documents and then I plan to start filing my tax return.

I hope and understand that this is OK?

Kindly advise if I need to be doing anything else?
Thank You,
KP

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hello, Good Morning,

I am currently in the process of filling out my application for Canadian citizenship.
I have filed taxes every year since 2015 until 2020.
I haven't filed my taxes yet (for tax year 2021) as I am yet to receive a T4 from my employer and other investment related tax statements from my bank etc..
As of now, I have done the following for my online application:
1. For the question "Taxes filed for 2021" I have selected "No"
2. Required to File? I have selected "Yes"
3. I plan to upload a document explaining the above, i.e I am awaiting tax related documents and then I plan to start filing my tax return.

I hope and understand that this is OK?

Kindly advise if I need to be doing anything else?
Thank You,
KP
1. The Yes and the No are all you need, no letter of explanation is necessary, CIC knows that 2021 taxes aren't due until the 30th of April for individuals.

Zain.Lugo

Star Member
Feb 28, 2022
Did you apply with this option? I am in same boat where I filed in 2020-2021 and want to apply for citizenship but 2022 is still not filed yet. Can I apply or should I wait until I file my taxes?

karandas.p@gmail.com

Aug 10, 2016
Did you apply with this option? I am in same boat where I filed in 2020-2021 and want to apply for citizenship but 2022 is still not filed yet. Can I apply or should I wait until I file my taxes?
Hello.
Given that the deadline for Individuals to file their taxes is May 2nd (~ 10-12 days away), I would suggest you go ahead with filing your taxes first if you want.

CRA gave me an "express notice of assessment". So since the deadline is nearing, just get that out of the way and then apply for citizenship.
If you file your taxes on your own, (which I do), it will take one evening or max two evenings to finish the process and submit using "efile".
It is a fast process by CRA to send you an advance "Express NOA".

I filed my taxes last weekend and I will apply for citizenship soon..

Hope this helps
(Just my two cents / perspective)

Note: I see that I had posted this question in feb, I delayed my decision to apply for citizenship due to other personal reasons / factors, taxes had nothing to do with it. I would have proceeded with my citizenship application but some things / events held me up. Hope this clarifies.

Last edited:
Reactions: GuyanaGirl

Zain.Lugo

Star Member
Feb 28, 2022
Thank you for your reply. Do I have to wait for Notice of Assessment or can I apply once I submit my taxes to CRA?