+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugees and MSP

maplefamilyca

May 31, 2023
I have received brown paper and work permit last month.
I'm a bit confused about IFHP and MSP.
According to the brown paper, I'm eligible for coverage costs under IFHP.
However, my friend told me apply MSP after I received WP.
Do I still need to apply MSP?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Yes, apply for MSP Coverage...

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You have better coverage under IFHP. Unless you are working full-time with an extended benefit package through your employer it makes no sense to apply for MSP since you have better access to care through IFHP. Without your positive NOD do you actually qualify for MSP?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Can we still get benefits from IFHP after receiving NOD?
Normally you must move to the provincial health plan of the province where you live and you’ll receive the same healthcare as all the other people living in that province. The IFHP tends to provide certain extra programs because most asylum seekers used to come from refugee camps or more informal circumstances where healthcare likely had not been accessible for long periods of time. Many of the asylum seekers would have a long list of health and dental issues that hadn’t been addressed and would have been exacerbated by the conditions. That is why asylum claimants qualify for eye exams and a free pair of basic glasses. Nothing fancy but many haven’t seen clearly in years if not decades. They also have access to almost free or free medications and basic dental care. Most refugees have many cavities and may need to have teeth pulled. The goal of their short amount of time on IFHP is to get asylum claimants back to a certain basic stable level of health so they are able to study, work, etc.