+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello dear forum users !

Today I told with my lawyer and asked him if it was possible to use the original passport of my country for travel abroad instead of travel document after receiving the PR card. He told me that his clients picked up their passports without problems after receiving the PR card at the same office
where it was seized. After this, you can use your original passport to travel abroad lawyer said.

Are there people on this forum who can confirm this information ?

so later today I consulted with another lawyer with similar issues. He told me the same , if you got a PR card then you can go pick up your original passports and use them to travel abroad and travel document can not be used.

How reliable is this information ?

Thank you.
It is incredibly worrying that your lawyer doesn’t know very simple immigration information. You can not use your home country passport without risking your longterm status in Canada. You also can’t renew your home country passport. If you do either or travel to your home country before you become a Canadian citizen you could lose your status in Canada through cessation of refugee status. There are people who do get away with this but Canada is pursuing more people for cessation of status and you only typically discover this when you apply for Canadian citizenship.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi
Most of time... TRUST YOUR LAWYER
They went to school for that.
But as a protected person... you can travel wherever you want with your PR except to your own country, I mean the country of persecution.
Be save and enjoy ur PR Card.
In this case don’t trust the lawyers they are giving out incorrect and bad advice. Protected people should never use their home country passport if they want to ensure they retain their status in Canada.

Reactions: Mancini

ref19to22

May 18, 2022
before asking this question, I read this forum for a long time and some people wrote that after they picked up their original passports, officer told them to still use only refugee travel document for travelling abroad. I still don’t know whether to trust the lawyers’ answers on this question.
trust your instinct, your lawyer is wrong about traveling on your old passport.

i worked for an immigration lawyer and a lot of his cases were folks who were at the risk of losing their refugee status because they used their passport/went to their home country.

google 'refugee cessation canada' for more information.

Reactions: Mancini

Mancini

Star Member
Sep 6, 2023
Good evening everyone...

About cessation of refugee status upon using home country passport ..

When someone uses a passport, this means that he/she accepts protection/status under that passport.

Using your home country passport while you are a refugee means that you are travelling under protection of your home country, not the country which granted has you the refugee status. That is why it is a very strong reason for a country to implement such measures as cessation of refugee status. It is not because this country does not want you, but because you - by travelling using your home country passport - are telling Canada that you don't need the refugee status any longer. It is YOU who is doing this, not Canada (or another country to grants refugee status). If you want to maintain your status as a refugee, use the RTD until you become a citizen, then you can get the normal Canadian passport.

Forget about the passport of your home country. YOU don't need anymore.

binabade

Star Member
Jun 24, 2023
Question for the people who recently received their travel document
Did you guys received the new design travel document or they still print and send the old one

SADIO MANE

Dec 13, 2023
money leaves the homes of the poor people and goes to the homes of the rich
this is my life story that I want it to be known that I am a person living in the world
First of all my names : LUQMAN ABDI ARAB
It means I am a young man with ambition and long term goals
i was born in Somalia 1/8/2006 borama city I was born into a family economically unfavorable and have the Islamic religion and behave well when I was young I was a very smart kid and good at handling everything My mother and father worked for my 11 siblings it's really hard when you are working in a low level job and still waiting you for 11 children and you are thinking about it what should they eat because the money they have worked was not enough for us anyway how hard life is all of us They taught us everything
me and my older brother were able to afford school fees because we were working on it places to sell the street food Life was very difficult at that time
because I was a little boy who used to dream and dreams of becoming a player one day but it was not possible at that time If I had told him then that I wanted to be a player actually my parents they would have killed me at that time to achieve my goals as a player I have decided not to give up on my goal until I reach it one day
I hope to be a player one day my love for football I used to go for a walk very far only to play football Some days I used to be late in my school
I was really angry some days because the school used to have take for many hours
I used to think about it Today, when are you going to play with your friends?

Infact some days I used to run away from school to play with my friends
I finally came from my parents I also came from my country I came to Turkey
to seek a better life than Somalia and find my goal somewhere to achieve it
I went to a football academy After that I told him that I needed to join him After that they told me to pay 100$per month I was not able to pay that money I told him that I can't afford that money but unfortunately they told me if you don't have money go away after that i asked a question Is that money take from all the players
They answered no becouse the players are citizens and you are foreigners that is the difference
I used to like to play premier league ,bundusliga, league 1, seria A
I believe I still have a chance and I can still show my skills, I want to tell you when I started writing the book
I started 16/november /2022:wednesday :4:00pm At that time I woke up and decided to write a book I don't know English very well But I decided to try anyway
I want to be an example to everyone who is suffering Because no one is born with the problem, but the situation causes the problem My worst problem ever ✓ The day I lost my uncle who used to help me He always told me that the day i plays football to tell him to give me a little money to buy water because I used to walk 4km

The day my uncle died, I lost my water That day I believed that I would not reach my goal Uncle I gave up becouse he is not going back
I had another problem after 1 year I failed the final exam ofschool when i was in class 8 then I gave up on all my goals because I lost my uncle who encouraged me to play football and then i failed the final exam in school I was a good student good at his studies and everything that is taught to him I fell for it The school administration hated my father because we was late with the school fee every month because we could not pay in advance
• I moved away from my family where I used to find happiness I did not find happiness until the day of came away my family I'm not going back until I accomplish my goal I will miss all my family crying one day it will be overcome
Happiness changes one time it turns into crying only when you find your goal, it is the only solution that changes happiness promise you One day I will help everyone who is in trouble If my writing reaches anywhere, please contact me I am a professional football player Football is the best thing to do and can support anyone who has a skill I will never leave football until I am true to my goal i promise you that the happiest day in the world
• The day I get an answer from the whole world and supporting me and also helping me Contact with me My email • Loukmanclzamad@gmail.com Agent number: 002520634591771
Agent email: samaale1234565@gmail.com

SADIO MANE

Dec 13, 2023
good evening there: my names SHARMARKE ELMI DUALE i will like to accept my request i dont have any parents i,m alone since 2009 so i need more and more help one day i will be in canada Actually, I have done the finger print so it is in their record. I don't need to pay $80 either as we are exempted from that but just pay the courier company fees. Thanks for the information
I traveled by air to Germany and cleared Schengen Zone with no issue. Then I traveled all around Germany using different transportation methods. I flew to Czech Republic. Rode a bus to Poland. Mini bus to Slovenia. Another bus to Hungary. Slovenia-Hungary border was the only border, they came on the bus and checked passports. Speed train from Hungary to Austria. Train from Austria to Switzerland. Train to the Netherlands. Bus to Belgium. Fly back to Canada. All went very smooth with no issue.

I might be able to try different European countries again this year. However, I am thinking of going without Schengen Visa this time to save $ but don't think the risk/reward worth it specially with all the Migration issues in Europe.

Cmu

Mar 2, 2021
enjoylive
Moreover, in the future when you need to apply for citizenship, you'll have an interview with an officer, he will ask you to show your passport plus photocopies. It may be a problem explaining why you have a passport of your country of origin. Instead it is better have the notice of seizure of your original passport and said that your passport is in possession of Canadian Government. If I were you, I leave my original passport with Canadian Government and forget about that.
Dear Friend, i am not getting job in cananda. Have plan to travel on the old passport ( country of persectuion ) to middle east for job after receiving my PR card. if I use the old passport to travel to different country ( not country of persecution ) what impact would it have on my PR and canaadian citizenship ?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
money leaves the homes of the poor people and goes to the homes of the rich
this is my life story that I want it to be known that I am a person living in the world
First of all my names : LUQMAN ABDI ARAB
It means I am a young man with ambition and long term goals
i was born in Somalia 1/8/2006 borama city I was born into a family economically unfavorable and have the Islamic religion and behave well when I was young I was a very smart kid and good at handling everything My mother and father worked for my 11 siblings it's really hard when you are working in a low level job and still waiting you for 11 children and you are thinking about it what should they eat because the money they have worked was not enough for us anyway how hard life is all of us They taught us everything
me and my older brother were able to afford school fees because we were working on it places to sell the street food Life was very difficult at that time
because I was a little boy who used to dream and dreams of becoming a player one day but it was not possible at that time If I had told him then that I wanted to be a player actually my parents they would have killed me at that time to achieve my goals as a player I have decided not to give up on my goal until I reach it one day
I hope to be a player one day my love for football I used to go for a walk very far only to play football Some days I used to be late in my school
I was really angry some days because the school used to have take for many hours
I used to think about it Today, when are you going to play with your friends?

Infact some days I used to run away from school to play with my friends
I finally came from my parents I also came from my country I came to Turkey
to seek a better life than Somalia and find my goal somewhere to achieve it
I went to a football academy After that I told him that I needed to join him After that they told me to pay 100$per month I was not able to pay that money I told him that I can't afford that money but unfortunately they told me if you don't have money go away after that i asked a question Is that money take from all the players
They answered no becouse the players are citizens and you are foreigners that is the difference
I used to like to play premier league ,bundusliga, league 1, seria A
I believe I still have a chance and I can still show my skills, I want to tell you when I started writing the book
I started 16/november /2022:wednesday :4:00pm At that time I woke up and decided to write a book I don't know English very well But I decided to try anyway
I want to be an example to everyone who is suffering Because no one is born with the problem, but the situation causes the problem My worst problem ever ✓ The day I lost my uncle who used to help me He always told me that the day i plays football to tell him to give me a little money to buy water because I used to walk 4km

The day my uncle died, I lost my water That day I believed that I would not reach my goal Uncle I gave up becouse he is not going back
I had another problem after 1 year I failed the final exam ofschool when i was in class 8 then I gave up on all my goals because I lost my uncle who encouraged me to play football and then i failed the final exam in school I was a good student good at his studies and everything that is taught to him I fell for it The school administration hated my father because we was late with the school fee every month because we could not pay in advance
• I moved away from my family where I used to find happiness I did not find happiness until the day of came away my family I'm not going back until I accomplish my goal I will miss all my family crying one day it will be overcome
Happiness changes one time it turns into crying only when you find your goal, it is the only solution that changes happiness promise you One day I will help everyone who is in trouble If my writing reaches anywhere, please contact me I am a professional football player Football is the best thing to do and can support anyone who has a skill I will never leave football until I am true to my goal i promise you that the happiest day in the world
• The day I get an answer from the whole world and supporting me and also helping me Contact with me My email • Loukmanclzamad@gmail.com Agent number: 002520634591771
Agent email: samaale1234565@gmail.com
This is an immigration forum. If you want to be a football player, why don't you consider to join the U-17 Mali team, who won third place recently? For major league soccer MLS, Canadian team Whitecaps did not made to the finals.

prasanna_121

Oct 3, 2023
How long will it take for the RTD to arrive? I applied in December of last year, and now it's been almost 12 months. They have indicated that it is still in the processing stage. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I have made several follow-up calls to the agent, but they do not have much information on the status of the application.

Saralynn97

Mar 7, 2018
How long will it take for the RTD to arrive? I applied in December of last year, and now it's been almost 12 months. They have indicated that it is still in the processing stage. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I have made several follow-up calls to the agent, but they do not have much information on the status of the application.
Just re apply, after February 2023 processing time started to click to normal