+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

enjoylive

Dec 11, 2023
Hello dear forum users !

Today I told with my lawyer and asked him if it was possible to use the original passport of my country for travel abroad instead of travel document after receiving the PR card. He told me that his clients picked up their passports without problems after receiving the PR card at the same office
where it was seized. After this, you can use your original passport to travel abroad lawyer said.

Are there people on this forum who can confirm this information ?

so later today I consulted with another lawyer with similar issues. He told me the same , if you got a PR card then you can go pick up your original passports and use them to travel abroad and travel document can not be used.

How reliable is this information ?

Thank you.

Last edited:

rachelm2000r

Star Member
Aug 19, 2023
Hello dear forum users !

Today I told with my lawyer and asked him if it was possible to use the original passport of my country for travel abroad instead of travel document after receiving the PR card. He told me that his clients picked up their passports without problems after receiving the PR card at the same office
where it was seized. After this, you can use your original passport to travel abroad lawyer said.

so later today I consulted with another lawyer with similar issues. He told me the same , if you got a PR card then you can go pick up your original passports and use them to travel abroad and travel document can not be used.

Thank you.
Hi
Most of time... TRUST YOUR LAWYER
They went to school for that.
But as a protected person... you can travel wherever you want with your PR except to your own country, I mean the country of persecution.
Be save and enjoy ur PR Card.

enjoylive

Dec 11, 2023
before asking this question, I read this forum for a long time and some people wrote that after they picked up their original passports, officer told them to still use only refugee travel document for travelling abroad. I still don’t know whether to trust the lawyers’ answers on this question.

Last edited:

Carlos Hernandez

Star Member
Jun 20, 2023
Hello dear forum users !

Thank you.
According of thousands of Cessation cases (CANADA.CA) (loss of refugee and PR status) If you use your old passport of your country of origin to travel anywhere or if you put a feet in the embassy or consulate of your original country for apply a new you are going to loss your refuge status and PR, then you will be deported. Note, this is in the 99% of cases. However, not all cases are equal, if you want to take a extreme risk: obtain a letter signed for your lawyer or Canadian Immigration Government Authorities , where states that you are not going to loss your status using your passport of origin in writing. If I were you, I would apply for a Travel Document for non-Canadian ( if you guarantor if your family doctor, is faster maybe two or three months).

Reactions: Homelonely

Carlos Hernandez

Star Member
Jun 20, 2023
before asking this question, I read this forum for a long time and some people wrote that after they picked up their original passports, officer told them to still use only refugee travel document for travelling abroad. I still don’t know whether to trust the lawyers’ answers on this question.
enjoylive
Moreover, in the future when you need to apply for citizenship, you'll have an interview with an officer, he will ask you to show your passport plus photocopies. It may be a problem explaining why you have a passport of your country of origin. Instead it is better have the notice of seizure of your original passport and said that your passport is in possession of Canadian Government. If I were you, I leave my original passport with Canadian Government and forget about that.

Canadian_rainbow

Aug 30, 2022
Actions that may put you at risk

CBSA may argue that you have accepted the protection of your home country if you:

-Travel to your home country (even for a short visit).
-Travel using the passport of your home country.
-Apply for a new passport from your home country.
CBSA may make these arguments against you even if you have lived in Canada for many years.

enjoylive

Dec 11, 2023
this all sounds sad. Nevertheless, I asked the officer in the office where the passport was seized. He said you can pick up your passport after receiving your PR card.