+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

cyberlink

Aug 10, 2020
FYI:
I called IRCC today. They informed me that I needed to apply for a certificate of identity
Not sure who you talked to or maybe explained yourself not very good, but

Certificates of identity are issued to """""permanent residents of Canada who are not protected persons and are stateless"""" or cannot obtain a national passport or travel document from any other source. These documents are only issued in Canada.

Source: canada.ca

xichanmontreal

Star Member
Nov 26, 2018
Hello everyone,

I'm so confused about national passport, travel document, and certificate of identity.

Following my application for refugee asylum, I was granted permanent residency last year.

I also received my national passport from IRCC Etobicoke last month.

Now, I need to travel outside of Canada ( not my home country)

Which document should I apply for? From my understanding, I can not apply for refugee travel document anymore after became a permanent resident.

Which document should I apply/use for travel purposes?
1. refugee travel document ( I don't have one, and I'm not sure I can apply. )
2. Certificate of identity ( Do I have to apply for this document instead of a refugee travel document )
3. My home country's national passport ( IRCC Etobicoke gave me a paper which says you should not use your home country passport for travel purposes )

I appreciate for help!

As a general rule, a person recognized as a refugee in Canada most certainly receives a blue document, refugee travel document, based on the 1951 convention. Except in very rare cases, mainly if you are in one of the following two situations:

* You are stateless (i.e. formally identified as stateless, by the court)

* You are a permanent resident (and not a refugee), but unable to obtain a valid passport or travel document from your country: Whether it is for the impossibility of obtaining it in Canada (lack of embassy or consulate), or even if, for example, the travel document issued by your country of origin is not internationally recognized (For example the Somali passport, which is not accepted by Canada, not even to stick a visa).

But you know what ? ... All of these discussions are just useless . Why are you complicating your life ?

The applicant for a Canadian travel document for non-citizens does not choose at any time which document he is requesting: The form is unique for the both, and it is the office that will determine which one you will receive (most likely the blue one, unless you do not be Somali, stateless, or national of a micronation lost in the Pacific without any representation in North America).

See here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-non-canadians/apply-who.html

Once we receive your application, we decide

• which type of travel document to give you
  • how long it will be valid for
You cannot use these documents to travel to your country of citizenship.

Reactions: Sphinx13

SandoxG

Mar 14, 2022
Not sure who you talked to or maybe explained yourself not very good, but

Certificates of identity are issued to """""permanent residents of Canada who are not protected persons and are stateless"""" or cannot obtain a national passport or travel document from any other source. These documents are only issued in Canada.

Source: canada.ca
I believe I explained myself very well. I told her everything, as I mentioned above.
I said I was a protected person, and I became a permanent resident last year.
I received my national passport from IRCC Etobicoke last month. She asked me your national passport is valid or not. I told her it's still valid.
She took my UCI and other information and checked 5 minutes. And she told me it does not matter what was your previous status in Canada was—whether refugee or worker. When you become a permanent resident, you can not apply for a refugee travel document anymore, you have to apply for a certificate of identity.

I also asked if I use my national passport if the destination country does not accept anything other than a passport. She told me up to you. This is your decision, and we can not protect you if something happens. Then I asked, what about the border agency when I come back to Canada, May I lose my permanent resident status at that time, and she mentioned It officer's decision, but I can not say anything now.

I'll call one more time and speak with another agent to make sure.

Reactions: Sphinx13

SandoxG

Mar 14, 2022
As a general rule, a person recognized as a refugee in Canada most certainly receives a blue document, refugee travel document, based on the 1951 convention. Except in very rare cases, mainly if you are in one of the following two situations:

* You are stateless (i.e. formally identified as stateless, by the court)

* You are a permanent resident (and not a refugee), but unable to obtain a valid passport or travel document from your country: Whether it is for the impossibility of obtaining it in Canada (lack of embassy or consulate), or even if, for example, the travel document issued by your country of origin is not internationally recognized (For example the Somali passport, which is not accepted by Canada, not even to stick a visa).

But you know what ? ... All of these discussions are just useless . Why are you complicating your life ?

The applicant for a Canadian travel document for non-citizens does not choose at any time which document he is requesting: The form is unique for the both, and it is the office that will determine which one you will receive (most likely the blue one, unless you do not be Somali, stateless, or national of a micronation lost in the Pacific without any representation in North America).

See here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-non-canadians/apply-who.html

Once we receive your application, we decide

• which type of travel document to give you
  • how long it will be valid for
You cannot use these documents to travel to your country of citizenship.
So when I pay fees Am I going to pay certificate of identity fee ($260) or refugee travel document fee ($120)?

cyberlink

Aug 10, 2020
I believe I explained myself very well. I told her everything, as I mentioned above.
I received my national passport from IRCC Etobicoke last month. She asked me your national passport is valid or not. I told her it's still valid.
She took my UCI and other information and checked 5 minutes. And she told me it does not matter what was your previous status in Canada was—whether refugee or worker. When you become a permanent resident, you can not apply for a refugee travel document anymore, you have to apply for a certificate of identity.

I also asked if I use my national passport if the destination country does not accept anything other than a passport. She told me up to you. This is your decision, and we can not protect you if something happens. Then I asked, what about the border agency when I come back to Canada, May I lose my permanent resident status at that time, and she mentioned It officer's decision, but I can not say anything now.

Bruh, you'll not even choosing which one you want, just apply and they send you the right one(which is blue travel document for sure!) no need to argue.
I know more than 20 people that applied in same situation and all got rtd, the employees on ircc call center are not agents or immigration law practiced ones, they are just call center employees with limited access to your profile.

Last edited:
Reactions: canuck78

SandoxG

Mar 14, 2022
Read the form, page 4 , you will have your answer.
Thank you! It’s more clear now.

Should I select yes this part and enclose my national passport in folder?
will they seize it again if send it them?

Do you have any valid travel document or passport from any country other than Canada?

O Yes, enclose the document (original only). If no longer in yourpossession, explain why.

xichanmontreal

Star Member
Nov 26, 2018
Thank you! It’s more clear now.

Should I select yes this part and enclose my national passport in folder?
will they seize it again if send it them?

Do you have any valid travel document or passport from any country other than Canada?

O Yes, enclose the document (original only). If no longer in yourpossession, explain why.
Your question is strange.

Why this question, do you hold your national passport? ... Usually your passport should be seized, in this case, you should attach the seizure notice with your request. Will be more than enough.

In the event that it was returned to you during your interview for permanent residence or in other circumstances, you will have nothing to attach, because you are asked to attach only valid documents, i.e. not expired, which are in your possession.

Majidksa2013

Star Member
Aug 14, 2017
I have a question?
i want to renew my refugee travel document but still I didn’t get my pr
Will they give me 2 years or 5 years ?

Peace444

Nov 12, 2022
Your question is strange.

Why this question, do you hold your national passport? ... Usually your passport should be seized, in this case, you should attach the seizure notice with your request. Will be more than enough.

In the event that it was returned to you during your interview for permanent residence or in other circumstances, you will have nothing to attach, because you are asked to attach only valid documents, i.e. not expired, which are in your possession.
I wrote that it was seized, but I didn’t attach the seizure notice in my application, will this be a problem?