+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

Unknown user

Dec 8, 2021
I have a quick question... I wanted to travel to a neighbor country, however the flight is via my home country. Is it okay to fly via home country without exiting the airport? Please advise.

mian1112

Nov 19, 2022
Can you please let me know, I am waiting since Nov 2021, still didn't receive the RTD. Submitted many web forms & called them, but no response. Applied for Urgent as well, but still no response. Please can you help me how to get it on an urgent basis. TIA
I have applied in nov 2021 as well but no response, even went to MP they said it is stuck in a backlog, Disappointing situation

Hakunde

May 22, 2021
Are you a protect person?
Did you call to IRCC yet?
Yes am a protected person, I applied same year I got my NOD and I called them and also send several web form to them but they said it has been flag for urgency.
I don’t know if my category falls under urgent because my husband filed for me in the States and my documents got approved but I need RTD to proceed with the immigrant visa in Montreal before I can join him and is taking forever. Is their any alternative pls

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes am a protected person, I applied same year I got my NOD and I called them and also send several web form to them but they said it has been flag for urgency.
I don’t know if my category falls under urgent because my husband filed for me in the States and my documents got approved but I need RTD to proceed with the immigrant visa in Montreal before I can join him and is taking forever. Is their any alternative pls
Assume the lack of urgency is because you have indicated that you don’t plan on remaining in Canada. If you have no plans on staying in Canada you could t cynically use your home country passport to go to the US and be sponsored for a green card.

Reactions: Hakunde

Hakunde

May 22, 2021
Assume the lack of urgency is because you have indicated that you don’t plan on remaining in Canada. If you have no plans on staying in Canada you could t cynically use your home country passport to go to the US and be sponsored for a green card.
My expired passport is with the immigration and I don’t think is wise enough to request for it because I will be attending US immigrant visa interview in Montreal.

rafk

Jan 4, 2019
Hi everyone,
I have RTD and PR and I want to travel from Riyadh, Saudi Arabia to Rome, Italy using RTD. I know that I can enter Italy without visa but has anyone had a similar experience? Is there going to be any problem with that?

Fleabag23

Mar 29, 2023
Hi everyone,
Just wondering if there was anyone here who applied for urgent RTD and received it, had no guarantor and had to fill the statutory declaration in lieu of guarantor form. Did having no guarantor slow down the application processing time for you?

alidw

Aug 28, 2022
Hi everyone,
I have RTD and PR and I want to travel from Riyadh, Saudi Arabia to Rome, Italy using RTD. I know that I can enter Italy without visa but has anyone had a similar experience? Is there going to be any problem with that?
Hey Rafk,

Can you kindly share the steps you've taken to go to Saudi Arabia with RTD?

Some of the questiosn i have, do you need a PR to go there? How did you get/apply for the Visa?

SandoxG

Mar 14, 2022
Hello everyone,

I'm so confused about national passport, travel document, and certificate of identity.

Following my application for refugee asylum, I was granted permanent residency last year.

I also received my national passport from IRCC Etobicoke last month.

Now, I need to travel outside of Canada ( not my home country)

Which document should I apply for? From my understanding, I can not apply for refugee travel document anymore after became a permanent resident.

Which document should I apply/use for travel purposes?
1. refugee travel document ( I don't have one, and I'm not sure I can apply. )
2. Certificate of identity ( Do I have to apply for this document instead of a refugee travel document )
3. My home country's national passport ( IRCC Etobicoke gave me a paper which says you should not use your home country passport for travel purposes )

I appreciate for help!

Peace444

Nov 12, 2022
Hello everyone,

I'm so confused about national passport, travel document, and certificate of identity.

Following my application for refugee asylum, I was granted permanent residency last year.

Which document should I apply for? From my understanding, I can not apply for refugee travel document anymore after became a permanent resident.

2. Certificate of identity ( Do I have to apply for this document instead of a refugee travel document )
3. My home country's national passport ( IRCC Etobicoke gave me a paper which says you should not use your home country passport for travel purposes )

I appreciate for help!
You should apply for refugee travel document even if you got pr.
As a refugee you should not travel with your home country passport.

cyberlink

Aug 10, 2020
Hello everyone,

I appreciate for help!
Apply for refugee travel document, your status is PR but granted through refugee claim.