+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

xichanmontreal

Star Member
Nov 26, 2018
it still says in the website that visa is not required.
I have seen it ... But Montreal consulate still say the opposite ... And more importantly, the official website of iata indicates that you need a visa ... The agents (air hostess or steward) during the chekin will refuse you access to the aircraft.

They use this tool.

They used it before front to me when i went to Frankfort last year.

xichanmontreal

Star Member
Nov 26, 2018
it still says in the website that visa is not required.
2 more elements :

1 ) iata captation :

2 ) Captation from italy montreal consulate : ( see the pdf here , page 16 : https://consmontreal.esteri.it/Consolato_montreal/resource/doc/2018/06/sito_fr.pdf ) , this document sugess that travel document holder should ask for a visa .

in conclusion, we note that this story is not clear ... the consulate can say that there is no need for a visa ...

but in the end, the flight attendant will refuse your boarding when you go chekin.

as long as the story is not clear:

do not take the risk of direct flight to rome ... frankfort is better ... (and all European capitals are easily connectable in tgv ... the rail network is very devellope in europe, and has nothing to do with canada ).

Jan 7, 2019
2 more elements :

1 ) iata captation :

2 ) Captation from italy montreal consulate : ( see the pdf here , page 16 : https://consmontreal.esteri.it/Consolato_montreal/resource/doc/2018/06/sito_fr.pdf ) , this document sugess that travel document holder should ask for a visa .

in conclusion, we note that this story is not clear ... the consulate can say that there is no need for a visa ...

but in the end, the flight attendant will refuse your boarding when you go chekin.

as long as the story is not clear:

do not take the risk of direct flight to rome ... frankfort is better ... (and all European capitals are easily connectable in tgv ... the rail network is very devellope in europe, and has nothing to do with canada ).
Totally agree with you.
If anyone wants to travel to Italy, just apply for the visa.
Applying for a schengen visa is always a safe option. I don't think it's that hard to get.

AfghanGuy

Jan 18, 2019
Which countries don’t accept RTD? Today went to afghan consulate in Toronto they said don’t recognize Canadian RTD. Is it true?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Which countries don’t accept RTD? Today went to afghan consulate in Toronto they said don’t recognize Canadian RTD. Is it true?
Did you receive asylum from Afghanistan? If so you can't travel there to begin with. Many countries don't recognize RTD.

AfghanGuy

Jan 18, 2019
Did you receive asylum from Afghanistan? If so you can't travel there to begin with. Many countries don't recognize RTD.
I’m not going. I went with my friend, she is from Iran. Moreover, Afghanistan is signatory of geneva convention 1951all members recognized RTD same as like passport.

AfghanGuy

Jan 18, 2019
I’m not going. I went with my friend, she is from Iran. Moreover, Afghanistan is signatory of geneva convention 1951all members recognized RTD same as like passport.
I think they didn’t wanna issue her visa. We’ll check with Ottawa consulate tomorrow.

AfghanGuy

Jan 18, 2019
She has US visa and can she apply for Afghanistan visa from US? They accept alien Travel document which is equal to RTD.

xichanmontreal

Star Member
Nov 26, 2018
Yes, many countries do not recognize refugee travel documents (irrespective of the emitting country), model 1951 ... Most countries that have not signed the 1951 Convention, have not.

... Curiously, it's often about shitty country **.

*My own definition of shitty countries: poor countries that do not respect human rights = countries that produce refugees.

Last edited:

AfghanGuy

Jan 18, 2019
Yes, many countries do not recognize refugee travel documents (irrespective of the emitting country), model 1951 ... Most countries that have not signed the 1951 Convention, have not.

... Curiously, it's often about shitty country **.

*My own shitty countries: poor countries that do not respect human rights = countries that produce refugees.
You’re right, but Afghanistan is signatory of 1951 convention. Wondering why they refused.