+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

moref1988

Star Member
Feb 28, 2023
I really have nothing to say... I did everything I can, wrote about 15 times that my situation was urgent, I went to MP's office etc. All they say "your application is in process" I asked for ATIP and all they sent was my photo and a letter that I wrote on May 2023...
i think who applied after this march, they get their rtd more quick.

my one of friends is waiting more than one year.

Montreal_Guy

Jul 27, 2023
How did you get your RTD in just 20 days?
Hi,
I sent the documents(Notice of decision, 2 photos, and form PPTC 190) as per their website on March 21st, 2023 to Gatineau by UPS next-day delivery with a tracking number. I had to make my doctor my guarantor because my lawyer's secretary told me that the lawyer stopped being a guarantor for the travel docs. I wasn't nervous at all after she said that because I have a very good term with my doctor and he didn't hesitate at all to be my guarantor and sign for me. There was this below question on their site when you start the application.

"When do you need the travel document?"
1. 30 business days or less
2. 31 business days or more

I selected the 2nd option "31 business days or more"

I received a notification on my door from Canada Post on April 9th to collect it from a particular local Canada Post near my house the next day after 1 PM and asked to bring a piece of my ID(I used my Quebec Driver's License). I went there and came back home with a smile and some happy tears.

Shiny12

Star Member
Apr 19, 2023
Hi,
I sent the documents(Notice of decision, 2 photos, and form PPTC 190) as per their website on March 21st, 2023 to Gatineau by UPS next-day delivery with a tracking number. I had to make my doctor my guarantor because my lawyer's secretary told me that the lawyer stopped being a guarantor for the travel docs. I wasn't nervous at all after she said that because I have a very good term with my doctor and he didn't hesitate at all to be my guarantor and sign for me. There was this below question on their site when you start the application.

I received a notification on my door from Canada Post on April 9th to collect it from a particular local Canada Post near my house the next day after 1 PM and asked to bring a piece of my ID(I used my Quebec Driver's License). I went there and came back home with a smile and some happy tears.
Nice reading your story .. enjoy your flights and share with us your travel experience when you come back.

hassiko

Aug 19, 2021
I remember that you told me 2 months ago that you would reapply. Anyway, congratulations
Ye I was going to apply I just couldn’t find money. Then I got call from them. They said ^we forgot to call you^ what a joke… my father passed away and I couldn’t see him last time. Whoever is responsible for late arrival, I ask God to find their trouble, frankly.

moref1988

Star Member
Feb 28, 2023
Hi,

Thanks for your sharing.

Whats the best answer for these questions?

Do you have any valid travel document or passport from any country other than canada?

Have you, since your entry date of entry to canada, applied for a passport or travel document from your country of origin or citizenship?

No (provide detailed explanation)

Canadian_rainbow

Aug 30, 2022
Thanks for your sharing.

Do you have any valid travel document or passport from any country other than canada?

Have you, since your entry date of entry to canada, applied for a passport or travel document from your country of origin or citizenship?

If you have valid passport seized by IRCC you need to say YES. And you will explain why you can not hold this passport right now. (Check travel document application form, section K Citizenship and Travel documentation. First paragraph. Don’t forget to add notice of seizure from IRCCC.

Second question NO. And explain why. Because you are convention refugee and safety reasons you can not apply to get new passport or renew your passport, etc.

Reactions: moref1988

moref1988

Star Member
Feb 28, 2023
If you have valid passport seized by IRCC you need to say YES. And you will explain why you can not hold this passport right now. (Check travel document application form, section K Citizenship and Travel documentation. First paragraph. Don’t forget to add notice of seizure from IRCCC.

Second question NO. And explain why. Because you are convention refugee and safety reasons you can not apply to get new passport or renew your passport, etc.
Thanks for answers.
Did you get your travel doc? How long did it take?

Montreal_Guy

Jul 27, 2023
Thanks for your sharing.

Hi, I said No to both of them because my passport was seized. I'm not sure if I was supposed to say Yes to the first question as another user mentioned Yes but I still got my RTD. From my understanding, it'll be No because it's not in your possession.

Thank you!

Reactions: Simba112