App. Filed.......
25-08-2011
Med's Request
25-02-2012
Med's Done....
30-04-2012
LANDED..........
27-09-2012
Once you have your hearing's done, you will get an answer yes or no. If your claim is accepted which means you are becoming a protected person or convention refugee in Canada. Now that you have became a protected person you have the right to travel. However we have all surrendered our national passport at time of signing up this journey, you might a need a new travel document here it comes "REFUGEE TRAVEL DOCUMENT".

Here is the BACKGROUND around this type of document.

In order to obtain this document you must first wait a letter from refugee board states that you are officially accepted as a protected person or convention refugee in Canada. With this letter you could then apply a document called PPSD, HERE IS HOW TO APPLY.

After applying PPSD you have to wait about 4-8 weeks to get it in the mail. And this is your official status paper in Canada. In case of traveling this is what you want to have with you when you come back to Canada.

Once you have the PPSD you can now apply for RTD aka Refugee Travel Document. HERE IS THE APPLICATION and a BRIEF FROM SERVICE CANADA

The application itself is very straight forward, however few tips get a lawyer as your guarantor is very helpful all copies of documents needs to be signed by your guarantor. Although the application request 2 references that's when you don't have a guarantor they will actually call your references to check your background. If you have a lawyer as your guarantor, they will simply skip this process and fasten your overall processing time.

After preparing all your documentations you need to go down to the PASSPORT CANADA HEADQUARTER in stead of mailing it, normally your counsel will tell you this may take about 3 months so as the call center. If you go down to the HEADQUARTER yourself they will give a accurate date to pick up your RTD and usually takes about 14days based on a complete application. Of course the counter will give you all necessary guidance if anything is missing on your application.

With all that said, you still have to be very through about your travel plan because IT IS VERY CLEARLY SAID BY THE GOV OF CANADA RTD DOES NOT GUARANTEE YOUR RE-ENTRY. You might have a hard time when you enter back to Canada at the border service. PLEASE CONSULT WITH YOUR COUNSELOR BEFORE YOU LEAVE CANADA AND BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THE DESTINATION COUNTRY'S VISA REGULATIONS AND ACCEPTANCE OF SUCH DOCUMENT BEFORE YOUR VOYAGE.

HERE IS THE MAP

Below is a sample how the RTD looks like.

FINALLY, GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL.

daviddock

Star Member
Jul 23, 2012
Category........
It was a very complete explanation. Thanks. I sent my app but i made some mistakes, now i am waiting. Do you have the refugee travel doc? Have you travel abroad with it?

mogohuang

Star Member
May 17, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-08-2011
Med's Request
25-02-2012
Med's Done....
30-04-2012
LANDED..........
27-09-2012
daviddock said:
It was a very complete explanation. Thanks. I sent my app but i made some mistakes, now i am waiting. Do you have the refugee travel doc? Have you travel abroad with it?
I have traveled twice this year to Malaysia good thing is foreign countries may consider your RTD as good as a canadian Passport and give you a lot of privileges. Downside you have to get a visa to pretty much any country you want to go. And no visa exemption will be apply to this document. In terms of return as long as you have your rtd and your ppsd you are good to go. At the border they may ask you whats the purpose of your journey so on. Just tell them the truth they are generally friendly about that. BTW, IF YOU ARE ON REFUGEE BENEFIT I SUGGEST YOU NOT TO TRAVEL AND IF YOU HAVE ANY IMMIGRATION LOAN YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE TO THIS DOCUMENT.

Mr. Preppy

Star Member
Aug 21, 2012
Hi!
Thanks for your very detailed information!

Could u please tell me, for how many years they give this deocument?

mogohuang

Star Member
May 17, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-08-2011
Med's Request
25-02-2012
Med's Done....
30-04-2012
LANDED..........
27-09-2012
Mr. Preppy said:
Hi!
Thanks for your very detailed information!

Could u please tell me, for how many years they give this deocument?
Usually up to 5 years however no greater than the length of your ppsd.

Mr. Preppy

Star Member
Aug 21, 2012
mogohuang said:
Usually up to 5 years however no greater than the length of your ppsd.
Wow, thats good!
BTW, do they have any limitations for RTD length of trips? i mean, if a refugee leaves canada for 6month, or even for a year - is it ok?will they allow to enter back to canada?

mogohuang

Star Member
May 17, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-08-2011
Med's Request
25-02-2012
Med's Done....
30-04-2012
LANDED..........
27-09-2012
Mr. Preppy said:
Wow, thats good!
BTW, do they have any limitations for RTD length of trips? i mean, if a refugee leaves canada for 6month, or even for a year - is it ok?will they allow to enter back to canada?
This has not been specified by CIC however the document stated that if you take residency of another country the document itself will lose it's validity automatically which I assume no longer than 3 month period each time you leave Canada. You can check with CIC call centre if you wish.

Mr. Preppy

Star Member
Aug 21, 2012
mogohuang said:
This has not been specified by CIC however the document stated that if you take residency of another country the document itself will lose it's validity automatically which I assume no longer than 3 month period each time you leave Canada. You can check with CIC call centre if you wish.
Once a person granted with refugee status in Canada, is he forbidded to use his origin country's passport for international trips?

mogohuang

Star Member
May 17, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-08-2011
Med's Request
25-02-2012
Med's Done....
30-04-2012
LANDED..........
27-09-2012
Mr. Preppy said:
Once a person granted with refugee status in Canada, is he forbidded to use his origin country's passport for international trips?
No, You are only forbid to go back to your country of origin. You can still you use your national passport if you have one 10 out of 10 cases you have to surrender your PASSPORT at the time of filing your claim.

Mr. Preppy

Star Member
Aug 21, 2012
mogohuang said:
No, You are only forbid to go back to your country of origin. You can still you use your national passport if you have one 10 out of 10 cases you have to surrender your PASSPORT at the time of filing your claim.
But they return all documents after recognition of the refugee status, isnt??

mogohuang

Star Member
May 17, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-08-2011
Med's Request
25-02-2012
Med's Done....
30-04-2012
LANDED..........
27-09-2012
Mr. Preppy said:
But they return all documents after recognition of the refugee status, isnt??
regardless the result of your hearing you will get back all your documents after the hearing

Freeman1990

Oct 28, 2012
Hello,
I have a very important question
I got accepted as a protected person in Canada if I get my travel document and I travel out of Canada can I get back to Canada for sure and does the airlines deny this travel document and ask for the prc ? Because I dont have the prc yet I just applied for it
And I need to travel emergency
Please help me

mogohuang

Star Member
May 17, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-08-2011
Med's Request
25-02-2012
Med's Done....
30-04-2012
LANDED..........
27-09-2012
Freeman1990 said:
Hello,
I have a very important question
I got accepted as a protected person in Canada if I get my travel document and I travel out of Canada can I get back to Canada for sure and does the airlines deny this travel document and ask for the prc ? Because I dont have the prc yet I just applied for it
And I need to travel emergency
Please help me
THERE ARE NO GUARANTEE FOR THIS DOCUMENT. IT SAYS ON IT. BUT HAVENT HEARD ANYONE HAVING TROUBLE GETTING BACK

hark

May 5, 2014
Thanks for your explanation, please can you tell me the actual address where I can go and submit my forms in person inorder to get my travel document.

Thanks as I await your response.

Lamia_Elg

Apr 14, 2015
mogohuang said:
THERE ARE NO GUARANTEE FOR THIS DOCUMENT. IT SAYS ON IT. BUT HAVENT HEARD ANYONE HAVING TROUBLE GETTING BACK
Hi Mogohuang

I need to ask you about the RTD. Is it a CTD or is it different? I am very much confused here. I haven't applied yet because I am waiting on my papers from the RPB. Once I get them Im going to apply straight away.
Please tell me more about it.
Thanks