+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee status cessation and PRs applying for citizenship

Karel0726

Apr 26, 2018
Hi I have the same worry.
i sumbit my citizen application on June 3 by Canada post.the cic received it by June 05, since then i didn't hear any respond.I didn't receive Aor.

I m pr with refugee status, 2 yrs ago,my father experienced heart attack back home.I searched online,it's said go back to mother country for a short visit is resonable.as long as keep it shorter than one month.
I certainly understand it has risk.i went to the embassy apply a new passport.planing pay a visit to my dad.but thing happens too quick.when I get the passport.my dad ' surgery has been done successfully.so i didn't Travle back to my home country.

But I was using the passport grab the US visa and Travle to Cuba once.

I was not aware of the cessation due to the applying passport since i start preparing the citizenship application this feb.Acutually there is no related and official article explaining it well before .When I claimed as refugee. I had been told the passport would be back to me when i became to a Pr by my case manager.but the date becoming pr,i kept asking the officer where is the passport.they simply answered "I don't know,call cic call center".I also called the cic.they told me they have no idea.I also received a letter regarding to seized passport.i fax the seized form i had 5 years ago and get no respond.

Before I sent the application out,I met the settlement worker on march 2015,they told me do not worry about the citizenship application leads to cessation,I have also been told it's not necessary to hire a Lawer unless you like to waste money.they have helped a lot of people who has the same situation filled up the application form in their office,none of them are rejected.a lot of them Travle back to their homeland.as long as the visit is medical reason and you can prove it.

Unfortunately,I didn't receive any Respond from Cic,I check the excel sheet everyday.i saw most of the status turn green which gets me streesed.

I can't stop thinking if i get deported.the life i build up here from the past 5 year is ruined.I do have fear go back my mother country, but I also wanna visit my dying grandma and sick Parant who can't take airplane.so crazy. Who can tell me what can i do? So sad,so worry.

But back to the reality,the worry and the anxious are useless,there is no direct answer untill i cross the bridge.

I know a lot of people hates refugee,most of them think refugee could have the welfare from the govement easily.they don't work and they are lazy.I knew some of them did this,but i also believe there are a lot of refugee appreciate the kindness from the canda gorvement who will never abuse this system. Like me,i only apply welfare for 2.5 month before I had my working visa.When I need help,the Canada gorvement helps me,I don't wanna make her dispointed.I believe a lot of refugee also feel the same.A chance is deserved.

In the past five year,since i worked so hard,i Learnt a lot thing about Canada.
Canadian is also human being,as human nature,they always use their own way to seek the shortcut to the success.except the welfare, there is a lot of benifit the Canadian shares in commen.EI,insurance benifit,low income family benifit,Odsp.To save some tax or money,people always can find a loophole to filled them in. I don't think people has a elegant Pr status are better than refugee.Stop hating.

English is not my first language,and Its my first time express myself in a forum like this.pleae
Forgive my grammar and spelling.i remembered years ago when i post some question on some immigration forum in my mother language here.i have never had a chance to get a answer except insult.

This time I just expect people has the same worry as me who read this could feel some connection.
What happened to ur application please tell me

Vicky1993

Apr 28, 2018
I would like to ask if the cessation of pr status is only for pr refugee holders. I had refugee case which was denied and the appeal and i was granted pr based on h&c grounds. Does anyone know if i will be safe to travel to my home country without having any risk?? I have asked my lawyer by paying 300$ because we have finished our case 3 years now and he told me that he had never heard anything about having risk but only for pr holders based on refugee he was sure. He was not 100% sure to answer to me.And to mention the h&c grounds was inland. If someone knows anything i will be pleased..

LadyA

Star Member
Dec 21, 2017
I would like to ask if the cessation of pr status is only for pr refugee holders. I had refugee case which was denied and the appeal and i was granted pr based on h&c grounds. Does anyone know if i will be safe to travel to my home country without having any risk?? I have asked my lawyer by paying 300$ because we have finished our case 3 years now and he told me that he had never heard anything about having risk but only for pr holders based on refugee he was sure. He was not 100% sure to answer to me.And to mention the h&c grounds was inland. If someone knows anything i will be pleased..
My two cents: first, I can’t help. I don’t know the answer to your question. But I would like to say: if it’s not written, if it’s not 100% sure and true that it won’t cause a cessation, if it’s not URGENT/NECCESSARY/MANDATORY to go to your home country, please don’t. There is nothing worse that not knowing if they will kick you out.

Karel0726

Apr 26, 2018
For sure it’s only for refugee.... that’s humanitarian so it’s different. Nothing to worry.

Vicky1993

Apr 28, 2018
For sure it’s only for refugee.... that’s humanitarian so it’s different. Nothing to worry.
Thanks for replying! Even thanks for the person above.The thing is that my lawyer is not sure because there is not written anywhere that it causes a cessation that's why he told me he knows for refugee only. As he mentioned that h&c is not a refugee program so i hope there is nothing to worry. I have not visited my country 6 years now from the time i came to Canada and i will apply the next week through my lawyer for citizenship but it will take a little long until i will be citizen that's why i really want to go vacation with my daughter this summer. I have missed the summer and everything there but by reading so many stories about cessation scared me..I also remember at the cic when i got my pr 3 years ago that they told me i can visit my country because the refugee status was denied and i would not have any problem but many of the thread here say that they do not know well at the cic such as giving back the passport to refugees without informing them to do not use it..

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thanks for replying! Even thanks for the person above.The thing is that my lawyer is not sure because there is not written anywhere that it causes a cessation that's why he told me he knows for refugee only. As he mentioned that h&c is not a refugee program so i hope there is nothing to worry. I have not visited my country 6 years now from the time i came to Canada and i will apply the next week through my lawyer for citizenship but it will take a little long until i will be citizen that's why i really want to go vacation with my daughter this summer. I have missed the summer and everything there but by reading so many stories about cessation scared me..I also remember at the cic when i got my pr 3 years ago that they told me i can visit my country because the refugee status was denied and i would not have any problem but many of the thread here say that they do not know well at the cic such as giving back the passport to refugees without informing them to do not use it..
If you have been here for 3 years already, why don't you apply for citizenship first.

This is if you can wait for another few months or years before you take a trip to your home country.

Reactions: Vicky1993

Vicky1993

Apr 28, 2018
If you have been here for 3 years already, why don't you apply for citizenship first.

This is if you can wait for another few months or years before you take a trip to your home country.
Actually i have been here for 6 years but i am pr only 3 years. I will apply first for the citizenship but it takes for a long to be citizen and that's why i was wondering if someone else has gotten his pr based on h&c grounds and has visited his home country got his citizenship after with no troubles. My lawyer was sure only for the borders that they check only the refugees if they visited their countries or they used their own passports. There is no clear information anywhere for h&c grounds unfortunately included the internet..

lonleyplanet1995

Jan 13, 2018
as a refugee protected person in canada you are not allowed to go back to your home country, this's what you sign up for asking for Canada protection and Canada will protect you anywhere in the world except at your home country, if you go back for visit it's clearly means that you are no longer a protected person to Canada and your life is safe to return back to your country or actually your case was false .. you dont even have the right to use your home country passport or to renew it , you can only use Canadien travel document or canadien passeport

Vicky1993

Apr 28, 2018
as a refugee protected person in canada you are not allowed to go back to your home country, this's what you sign up for asking for Canada protection and Canada will protect you anywhere in the world except at your home country, if you go back for visit it's clearly means that you are no longer a protected person to Canada and your life is safe to return back to your country or actually your case was false .. you dont even have the right to use your home country passport or to renew it , you can only use Canadien travel document or canadien passeport
The thing is that i don't have a refugee status.They did not grant me because in my case they did not think that i was in danger that's why we applied for h&c grounds and this is our status.I know about the refugee status but it was not this my question. And i am not allowed to have travel document because i am not refugee in Canada. I can use normally my own passport this is really clear but is not clear if i can visit my country for vacation by being pr based on h&c grounds.

lonleyplanet1995

Jan 13, 2018
h&C is the second level of the refugee protection from the federal Government , I dont think it makes any difference, but for sure that you are a protected person and if you wanna make sure
check your case category at the back of your PR if it's CR8 or CR9 or whatever it says then this's your statut in Canada .

Reactions: CAN.east

Vicky1993

Apr 28, 2018
h&C is the second level of the refugee protection from the federal Government , I dont think it makes any difference, but for sure that you are a protected person and if you wanna make sure
check your case category at the back of your PR if it's CR8 or CR9 or whatever it says then this's your statut in Canada .
my case category is HC1 in the pr card

lonleyplanet1995

Jan 13, 2018
Yes my friend HC1 is part of refugee and protected person in Canada , you can travel at your own risk and it will raise a flag when applying for the citizenship .
for sure you can apply for travel Documents but you cant travel with it to your home country

REFUGEE SPECIAL PROGRAMS

* HC1 Humanitarian and Compassionate Consideration
* OYW One Year Window of Opportunity
* UPX Urgent Protection Program
* AWR Assistance to Women at Risk
* REF Convention Refugee Selected Abroad
* SLB Sierra Leone Blendad Sponsorship Case
* DFD De Facto Dependant
* KQF Fast Track Kosovo Refugees
* EXD Bosnian Ex-Detainees

Vicky1993

Apr 28, 2018
Yes my friend HC1 is part of refugee and protected person in Canada , you can travel at your own risk and it will raise a flag when applying for the citizenship .
for sure you can apply for travel Documents but you cant travel with it to your home country

REFUGEE SPECIAL PROGRAMS

* HC1 Humanitarian and Compassionate Consideration
* OYW One Year Window of Opportunity
* UPX Urgent Protection Program
* AWR Assistance to Women at Risk
* REF Convention Refugee Selected Abroad
* SLB Sierra Leone Blendad Sponsorship Case
* DFD De Facto Dependant
* KQF Fast Track Kosovo Refugees
* EXD Bosnian Ex-Detainees
that's why i am asking in this forum but for sure i cannot get travel document i was thinking i cannot use my passport and they send me that because i granted the pr based on h&c grounds they cannot give me travel document. I have to use my own passport if i want to travel.

Karel0726

Apr 26, 2018
that's why i am asking in this forum but for sure i cannot get travel document i was thinking i cannot use my passport and they send me that because i granted the pr based on h&c grounds they cannot give me travel document. I have to use my own passport if i want to travel.
I told you already humanitarian is different from refugee. You can go back to your country. If you really want a clarification then call the call centre tomorrow morning. They are open 7am. Ask them you just want to clarify. By the way what’s the reason for ur humanitarian if u don’t mind me asking. I’m a conventional or protected person.

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
Nobody in this forum is qualified to give you a definitive answer to your question. You paid $300 to an immigration lawyer who couldn't give you an answer. That should be a bit of a red flag to you that at best, it's a muddy water situation. I agree with the previous posts that unless it's a life and death matter, unless it's something that you'd be willing to give up your status here whatever it is, unless it's something that warrants the RISK, then get citizenship first so that you won't be in jeopardy.

Reactions: YVR123