+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

refugee marriage

jassbaghri

Feb 17, 2023
can a refugee married to a student or work permit holder because someone to me if student or work permit holder marry to a refugee he or she inadmissible or ineligible for pr

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
can a refugee married to a student or work permit holder because someone to me if student or work permit holder marry to a refugee he or she inadmissible or ineligible for pr
Anyone can get married as long as they are not currently married to someone else and are over the age of consent. If you are an asylum claimant and get married to someone who has status in Canada there is likely to be more scrutiny when it comes to an application to switch from asylum claimant to a spousal visa/permit/PR. If you have a good proof of relationship history and it is a genuine relationship you shouldn’t worry. To protect yourself it is often a better idea to get your own status in Canada in case there is a relationship breakdown and if you are a protected person there won’t be any concern about whether immigration has influenced your marriage.

Reactions: jassbaghri

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Given your current situation and asylum history expect a lot of scrutiny of your relationship. As a spouse of a WP holder or international student you aren’t guaranteed status in Canada. Do you have a long dating history with this person? Good documentation of your relationship? Your situation is very complex because you are currently inadmissible and waiting to see if you qualify for PPRA. Given it has been so long I would be following up with CBSA? Have you changed addresses or lawyers in case CBSA has been trying to contact you?

jassbaghri

Feb 17, 2023
Given your current situation and asylum, history expects a lot of scrutiny of your relationship. As a spouse of a WP holder or international student, you aren’t guaranteed status in Canada. Do you have a long dating history with this person? Good documentation of your relationship? Your situation is very complex because you are currently inadmissible and waiting to see if you qualify for PPRA. Given it has been so long I would be following up with CBSA. Have you changed addresses or lawyers in case CBSA has been trying to contact you?
Yes, we dating for more than one year, and my address and lawyers are the same from start. My lawyer said I have to wait for one year to receive the paper from CBSA to apply for PRRA because I came from a third safe country (America)

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Yes, we dating for more than one year, and my address and lawyers are the same from start. My lawyer said I have to wait for one year to receive the paper from CBSA to apply for PRRA because I came from a third safe country (America)
Good to hear you are working with a lawyer. I see ineligibility on your refugee claim. Depending on the outcome of your PPRA, it will determine if you are eligible to be sponsored or not.

Reactions: scylla