+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Claimant Study Permit help

jname185

Jun 24, 2022
Hello! I have made a refugee claim at the point of entry in Canada in August 2022. I had my eligibility interview last month and was told that I will receive the work permit soon in the mail and can apply for a study permit with a letter of acceptance. I still haven't had any work permit or letter in the mail yet, is this normal or should I contact them?

I received my acceptance letter for the January 2023 semester and is looking to apply for a study permit. I have done the medical test once while obtaining the visa to come to Canada and once after submitting my refugee claim. Can I use any of these medicals in my study permit application?
Also, do refugee claimants usually get their study permits approved? If so, how long does the processing time usually take. The IRCC website says that the average processing time for in-Canada study permit is 4 weeks, but does this include study permit for refugee claimants? I really want to get it in time for January.

I am very lost at the moment doing nothing with no future, so being able to go back to school would be great. Any help from anyone who has had experience would be very appreciated! Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello! I have made a refugee claim at the point of entry in Canada in August 2022. I had my eligibility interview last month and was told that I will receive the work permit soon in the mail and can apply for a study permit with a letter of acceptance. I still haven't had any work permit or letter in the mail yet, is this normal or should I contact them?

I received my acceptance letter for the January 2023 semester and is looking to apply for a study permit. I have done the medical test once while obtaining the visa to come to Canada and once after submitting my refugee claim. Can I use any of these medicals in my study permit application?
Also, do refugee claimants usually get their study permits approved? If so, how long does the processing time usually take. The IRCC website says that the average processing time for in-Canada study permit is 4 weeks, but does this include study permit for refugee claimants? I really want to get it in time for January.

I am very lost at the moment doing nothing with no future, so being able to go back to school would be great. Any help from anyone who has had experience would be very appreciated! Thank you
Very unusual to get an elligibility interview so quickly. Are you outside Quebec and Ontario? Pretty unlikely that your study permit will be completed for the January session. Asylum claimants are still considered international students in most colleges and universities so you’ll have to verify whether you need to pay domestic fees or international fees. Do you have enough savings to pay tuition and support yourself if you don’t find a job or can only work part-time to pass your courses? That will have a major impact on whether your study permit gets approved.

jname185

Jun 24, 2022
Very unusual to get an elligibility interview so quickly. Are you outside Quebec and Ontario? Pretty unlikely that your study permit will be completed for the January session. Asylum claimants are still considered international students in most colleges and universities so you’ll have to verify whether you need to pay domestic fees or international fees. Do you have enough savings to pay tuition and support yourself if you don’t find a job or can only work part-time to pass your courses? That will have a major impact on whether your study permit gets approved.
I'll have to pay the international fees until I am granted protected person status. My parents (in home country) will support me with the funds. I am prepared to show the proof of funds for my studies. Also, I'm in Ontario. Do you know any refugee claimants that got their study permit approved?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'll have to pay the international fees until I am granted protected person status. My parents (in home country) will support me with the funds. I am prepared to show the proof of funds for my studies. Also, I'm in Ontario. Do you know any refugee claimants that got their study permit approved?
Not personally but people do get approved. Processing times are longer than most posted estimates and there is a period in December than minimak work gets done due to holiday time so I think it is very unlikely that you’ll get approved for the Winter semester. You should certainly try but don’t count on hearing about your file by January.

jname185

Jun 24, 2022
Not personally but people do get approved. Processing times are longer than most posted estimates and there is a period in December than minimak work gets done due to holiday time so I think it is very unlikely that you’ll get approved for the Winter semester. You should certainly try but don’t count on hearing about your file by January.
I'm in a hard spot. The tuition fees for the first semester are due on November 3rd and I think submitting my proof of tuition payment will greatly increase my chances of approval. But if I get denied the study permit, I will only get a partial refund from the school.

eliteguy

Star Member
May 13, 2022

You can't get a study permit as a refugee claimant.....you are not allowed to enrol for a course more than 6 months....

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
You can't get a study permit as a refugee claimant.....you are not allowed to enrol for a course more than 6 months....
He can get Study Permit as Refugee Claimant, he needs to request by either tick the box during filling forms or apply later if he didnt do that during eligibility interview.

Reactions: itzdrmac

eliteguy

Star Member
May 13, 2022
He can get Study Permit as Refugee Claimant, he needs to request by either tick the box during filling forms or apply later if he didnt do that during eligibility interview.
I tried and was told I can't get a study permit for a MSc only a short certificate program

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
I tried and was told I can't get a study permit for a MSc only a short certificate program
Thanks for the update. I reviewed schedule A for Inland Refugee Claimant updated in October 2021, and yes i dont see the option to tick for study permit, but there's for wp. Looks like they revised and changed to limit to only short term program.

Reactions: jname185

jname185

Jun 24, 2022
Thanks for the update. I reviewed schedule A for Inland Refugee Claimant updated in October 2021, and yes i dont see the option to tick for study permit, but there's for wp. Looks like they revised and changed to limit to only short term program.
I ticked both the study permit and work permit boxes in my form, but the IRCC website says that I need a separate application for a study permit. I asked the officer during my eligibility interview about my study permit and was told that I don't need one. She told me that I can start my studies once I receive the letter of acceptance from the school, which I later learned was wrong.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm in a hard spot. The tuition fees for the first semester are due on November 3rd and I think submitting my proof of tuition payment will greatly increase my chances of approval. But if I get denied the study permit, I will only get a partial refund from the school.
What school? Reputable schools give full refunds if denied a study permit? Is this a private school?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I ticked both the study permit and work permit boxes in my form, but the IRCC website says that I need a separate application for a study permit. I asked the officer during my eligibility interview about my study permit and was told that I don't need one. She told me that I can start my studies once I receive the letter of acceptance from the school, which I later learned was wrong.
Yes that is wrong. You also need a WP to work so the officer should have known the answer.

Reactions: jname185

jname185

Jun 24, 2022
What school? Reputable schools give full refunds if denied a study permit? Is this a private school?
Oh I just checked their website again. I misunderstood what they meant by partial refund. They will refund the total amount paid, less $100 for processing fees.

Reactions: canuck78

Funinthesun

Nov 12, 2022
You cannot study in Canada until you are accepted as a refugee and it takes atleast 2 years to get hearing before you’re accepted

Hopeless2020

Sep 8, 2020
First get work permit then apply study permit. Show some funds in your bank account and explain your status with letter . It will work. Good luck