+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Claim Withdrawal Soon After Passport Seizure (Eligibility interview pending)

Brain_Canada

Apr 3, 2024
I filed a inland refugee claim in February, and my passport was seized last month in March. I am still waiting for my eligibility interview with IRCC.

I had a genuine fear of persecution in my home country, therefore, I had a legitimate claim. However, since I have arrived in Canada, I have been sick most days. I come from a warm country, and I believe the Canadian weather is too harsh for me. Now, I am considering withdrawing my refugee claim as my health is deteriorating with each passing day.

My question is, how can I withdraw my refugee claim? I understand that since my case has not yet been referred to the IRB, I cannot ask them for withdrawal.
Should I inform IRCC when they call me for the eligibility interview, or should I wait for them to refer my case to the IRB and then ask the IRB for withdrawal?

helpme1

Mar 6, 2024
I filed a inland refugee claim in February, and my passport was seized last month in March. I am still waiting for my eligibility interview with IRCC.

I had a genuine fear of persecution in my home country, therefore, I had a legitimate claim. However, since I have arrived in Canada, I have been sick most days. I come from a warm country, and I believe the Canadian weather is too harsh for me. Now, I am considering withdrawing my refugee claim as my health is deteriorating with each passing day.

My question is, how can I withdraw my refugee claim? I understand that since my case has not yet been referred to the IRB, I cannot ask them for withdrawal.
Should I inform IRCC when they call me for the eligibility interview, or should I wait for them to refer my case to the IRB and then ask the IRB for withdrawal?
Post your timeline please. Did you get your work permit ? And how long the medical took ? As for withdrawal, you initiate it right away. Ask for your passport back.

Brain_Canada

Apr 3, 2024
No I did not get WP as I am waiting for eligibility interview date which is not yet available. This was acctually my question, how to initiate it right away? Should I visit the same IRCC office to get my passport back?

My Timeline is:
Applied on portal and BOC submission: 3 Feb
AOC: 8 Feb
Medical: 21 Feb
Passport seizure and biometrics: 18 Mar

helpme1

Mar 6, 2024
No I did not get WP as I am waiting for eligibility interview date which is not yet available. This was acctually my question, how to initiate it right away? Should I visit the same IRCC office to get my passport back?

My Timeline is:
Applied on portal and BOC submission: 3 Feb
AOC: 8 Feb
Medical: 21 Feb
Passport seizure and biometrics: 18 Mar
yes. Same office. They may ask you to just email them and wait for a response(~2months). People have done it..see this thread backwards: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/refugee-asylum-claimants-2023-timeline.793802/page-29#post-10797240
Can you please also tell me how many days after medical test were the results uploaded.

Roxanne88

Mar 30, 2024
Hi Brain,
I was also a refugee claimant before. Now I'm a PR. To shed light on your questions, I'd like to share with you my experience when I first applied in 2021. The IRB seizes my passport and gives me the seizure documents stamped as proof . Then I got my open work permit after 2 weeks. Canada is very kind , you have to be patiently waiting as there are thousands of refugee applicants before you have applied. On the other hand, your plan to 'Withdraw your application, due to Canada's Cold Weather "should not be an issue. It could create speculation that your refugee claim isn't eligible. Be patient and Pray with faith .

Brain_Canada

Apr 3, 2024
Hi Brain,
I was also a refugee claimant before. Now I'm a PR. To shed light on your questions, I'd like to share with you my experience when I first applied in 2021. The IRB seizes my passport and gives me the seizure documents stamped as proof . Then I got my open work permit after 2 weeks. Canada is very kind , you have to be patiently waiting as there are thousands of refugee applicants before you have applied. On the other hand, your plan to 'Withdraw your application, due to Canada's Cold Weather "should not be an issue. It could create speculation that your refugee claim isn't eligible. Be patient and Pray with faith .
Yes I agree Canada is very kind and a loving country. I believe I dont have to tell the specific reason for withdrawal of my claim.
One more thing, did IRB or IRCC seized your passport?

Brain_Canada

Apr 3, 2024
My passport was seized by IRCC during first interview, so I cannot travel if I do not have my passport. I am planning to visit IRCC office coming Monday to ask them for withdrawal and return of my passport.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
My passport was seized by IRCC during first interview, so I cannot travel if I do not have my passport. I am planning to visit IRCC office coming Monday to ask them for withdrawal and return of my passport.
You can either do that, or wait during eligibility interview and ask not to continue with your refugee claim.

Brain_Canada

Apr 3, 2024
Thanks for the advice.
You can either do that, or wait during eligibility interview and ask not to continue with your refugee claim.
Thanks for your advice. As I am not sure when the eligibility interview take place, so I would try to convince them to return my passport on Monday. Will it be a simple procedure or will be painstakingly slow?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Thanks for the advice.

Thanks for your advice. As I am not sure when the eligibility interview take place, so I would try to convince them to return my passport on Monday. Will it be a simple procedure or will be painstakingly slow?
Im not sure about that, but you can try