+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee claim in Canada on a tourist visa

Saraaa2023

Jun 20, 2023
Dear all,

I do appreciate your help and advice.
I have a tourist visa, and I would like to apply for asylum when I arrive in Canada. My question is:

Which is better: claiming refugee status in Canada at a port of entry upon arrival or online within Canada?

Db1000

Star Member
Aug 8, 2022
Depends on your story. I had a lawyer to guide me through. Legal aid helped a bit but I still paid to complete the whole process.

Reactions: Saraaa2023

Saraaa2023

Jun 20, 2023
Depends on your story. I had a lawyer to guide me through. Legal aid helped a bit but I still paid to complete the whole process.
I really appreciate it if you could share the contact information or email of the lawyer. Actually, I have no idea where or how to start, so I need someone or a lawyer to guide me. How much did you pay?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I really appreciate it if you could share the contact information or email of the lawyer. Actually, I have no idea where or how to start, so I need someone or a lawyer to guide me. How much did you pay?
Would budget 5k for a lawyer. You don’t need to have a lawyer to originally apply for asylum you can find one after you get to Canada. Do you have friend or family in Canada that you will be staying with. Housing is another issue. For example in Toronto asylum seekers are no longer being provided sheltered housing and are unfortunately left to live on the street unless someone leaves the shelter and as peace becomes available. Would avoid Toronto for that reason.

Reactions: Saraaa2023

Saraaa2023

Jun 20, 2023
Would budget 5k for a lawyer. You don’t need to have a lawyer to originally apply for asylum you can find one after you get to Canada. Do you have friend or family in Canada that you will be staying with. Housing is another issue. For example in Toronto asylum seekers are no longer being provided sheltered housing and are unfortunately left to live on the street unless someone leaves the shelter and as peace becomes available. Would avoid Toronto for that reason.
Good to know this. Thanks

denvela

Mar 10, 2023
Consider making an inland claim and creating a detailed Basis of Claim to support your refugee application. It is recommended to submit your claim online. Having a lawyer can provide valuable guidance throughout the process. If you meet the eligibility criteria, you may qualify for pro bono legal aid, but you will need to provide proof of having no income. If you are financially capable, hiring a lawyer is a good option. Remember, this is a crucial opportunity for your refugee claim, so carefully select the best available options.