+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ref. letter for spouse needed?

mdotk

Star Member
Sep 9, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
To my knowledge, spouse experience outside of Canada will not give any points.

Should someone add his spouse's experience (in home country) to the work history of the spouse ?

If the work experience is added, will CIC request a ref. letter for the spouse's job ?

seraerif

May 4, 2017
Have the same question. Is that possible to remove spouse's foreign work experience after ITA? Do we need to explain it in a explanation letter? Thanks!

Gini

Mar 19, 2016
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
17-02-2017
Med's Done....
06-04-2017
Passport Req..
28-06-2017
When I first created my EE profile I was not aware of what does and does not give points. So I listed all my spouse's work experience. Then I got ITA, went through the application process...and of course each of his work experiences was listed and a reference letter was required. But he wouldn't be able to get reference letters for most of these (employer doesn't exist anymore etc.). So I checked...CIC didn't award any points for his experience...so at the ITA stage I just changed to "No" when it asked about whether spouse has any work experience. All the fields where one would have had to add reference letters also disappeared with that. Since we were not claiming any points for his work experience, that's totally fine, no explanation letter needed, as long as you are not claiming points for it, CIC does not care. So in short: if you are not claiming points for your spouse's work experience, then there is no need to mention it or provide reference letters.

chente

Mar 1, 2017
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When I first created my EE profile I was not aware of what does and does not give points. So I listed all my spouse's work experience. Then I got ITA, went through the application process...and of course each of his work experiences was listed and a reference letter was required. But he wouldn't be able to get reference letters for most of these (employer doesn't exist anymore etc.). So I checked...CIC didn't award any points for his experience...so at the ITA stage I just changed to "No" when it asked about whether spouse has any work experience. All the fields where one would have had to add reference letters also disappeared with that. Since we were not claiming any points for his work experience, that's totally fine, no explanation letter needed, as long as you are not claiming points for it, CIC does not care. So in short: if you are not claiming points for your spouse's work experience, then there is no need to mention it or provide reference letters.
Exactly, after ITA you can just add it on the Personal History. The same for jobs that the main applicant do not claim points.

Gini

Mar 19, 2016
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
17-02-2017
Med's Done....
06-04-2017
Passport Req..
28-06-2017
Exactly, after ITA you can just add it on the Personal History. The same for jobs that the main applicant do not claim points.
Yes, exactly, and Personal History asks for a list without gaps for 10 years (I think it was for 10 years...or maybe since 18th birthday, whichever is later, can't remember), so you would need to list what that person did during those 10 years. But no reference letter would be required for anything listed under Personal History.

chente

Mar 1, 2017
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, exactly, and Personal History asks for a list without gaps for 10 years (I think it was for 10 years...or maybe since 18th birthday, whichever is later, can't remember), so you would need to list what that person did during those 10 years. But no reference letter would be required for anything listed under Personal History.
Yes, that's it. It is last 10 years or since 18 years old, the one more recent.