+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Reentering without PR Card

chinu78

May 1, 2011
The PR application for my inlaws who are currently in US has been approved.They plan to go to canada end of May which is when I assume they will fill out application for PR card (or automatically get it 30 days later). The problem is they need to return to US right away before they get the PR card
My questions are
1 Can they leave canada without getting their PR card and then have the PR card mailed at a US address ?
2 Can they reenter Canada without PR card ? If not is there any other way like applying for a permit ?

New Ontarian

Apr 4, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes they can leave Canada before receiving their PR cards
PR cards can not be mailed to address outside Canada
They need their PR cards to re-enter Canada otherwise, they need to get a Canadian travel documents

quakingaspen

Sep 24, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
It also depends on if they are traveling in a personal or commercial vehical. Commercial carriers don't want to carry PR's without their cards, because of the chance that they will be denied entry at the ending location, and they'll have to take them back. Driving over in a personal vehical shouldn't be a problem.

Also, there are posters on this forum who have had good luck traveling with their PR Visa as US citizens (even on commercial carriers). I suspect this is because the US is Visa exempt, and they would be allowed with their US passport alone.

Otherwise, as New Ontarian said, they would need to apply for Canadian travel documents.

fprince

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
நியூ டெல்லி, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 22, 2010
AOR Received.
Dec 22, 2010
File Transfer...
Jan 4, 2011
Passport Req..
May 6, 2011 ( CSE EMAIL )
VISA ISSUED...
May 20, 2011 ( Received May 28 )
LANDED..........
June 21, 2011
chinu78 said:
The PR application for my inlaws who are currently in US has been approved.They plan to go to canada end of May which is when I assume they will fill out application for PR card (or automatically get it 30 days later). The problem is they need to return to US right away before they get the PR card
My questions are
1 Can they leave canada without getting their PR card and then have the PR card mailed at a US address ?
2 Can they reenter Canada without PR card ? If not is there any other way like applying for a permit ?
1. Yes they can..PR Cards are not mailed outside Canada and need 3-6 weeks for them to get it in a canadian addrress.
2. Yes, either they need to have a travel document to enter canada..or if they are US Citizens, they can just enter canada without the PR Card ( I think if u are a US Citizen )

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
New Ontarian said:
Yes they can leave Canada before receiving their PR cards
PR cards can not be mailed to address outside Canada
They need their PR cards to re-enter Canada otherwise, they need to get a Canadian travel documents
No, the do NOT require travel documents. People from visa exempt countries cannot get a Travel Document because they don't NEED one. This is only for people from non-visa exempt countries.

All they have to do is re-enter with their US passports, Confirmation of Permanent Resident document (which they will get when they land as PRs) and advise the CBSA officer that they are permanent residents. They will be allowed re-entry without a problem.

If you receive their PR cards before they return to Canada, you can always mail or courier the cards to them.

chinu78

May 1, 2011
Thanks everyone.Forgot to mention that they have Indian Passport.
What is a Canadian Travel Document ?
What is the minimum time they have to stay in Canada after landing ? i.e can they go to US before receiving their PR card assuming they need the PR card to reenter back to Canada.
Also the Canadian consulate mentions they can enter without PR card if they have a completed Confirmation of PR form.Is that same as travel document ?

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chinu78 said:
Thanks everyone.Forgot to mention that they have Indian Passport.
What is a Canadian Travel Document ?
What is the minimum time they have to stay in Canada after landing ? i.e can they go to US before receiving their PR card assuming they need the PR card to reenter back to Canada.
Also the Canadian consulate mentions they can enter without PR card if they have a completed Confirmation of PR form.Is that same as travel document ?
1. So they are NOT visa exempt. A Travel Document is provided by the Canadian Consulate to a permanent resident who is a citizen of a non-visa exempt country to allow them to re-enter Canada without their PR card.
2. No minimum time required. They can land and leave again immediately.
3. No, the COPR is not the same and this only applies to people from visa exempt countries.