+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Recon trip to Canada after receiving COPR....

DEBBIEG

Jun 25, 2016
Oregon
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
07-28-2016
Doc's Request.
27-10-2016
AOR Received.
08-18-2016
File Transfer...
8-30-2016
Med's Request
completed upfront
Med's Done....
06-07-016
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2017
I know this is probably a stupid question (you wouldn't believe how many of them are running around in my brain!) but here goes....

We received the COPR (yay!). Now we are planning a week in BC to rent an apt., open a bank acc't., etc. Just some of the mundane things to do that will make landing and getting settled easier.

My question is, when they (CBSA) asks us for the purpose of our visit, do we just say sightseeing? (We will be seeing sights...) Or do we tell them the detailed version? Will this cause problems? Do they have the info that we have been granted a COPR in their computers and see that when they scan the passport?

I of course, will bring any relevant paperwork with me. And our lodging and car rental is finite. We can prove that we are going back to US in a week.....

Sooo many questions! Thank you all for helping me out!

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
So am I correct in understanding that you have a CoPR and want to take a short trip to Canada to set some things up then return to the US, presumably to sell up then return at a later date for good?

Personally, I would 'land to activate CoPR / declare PR' on your coming short trip (precisely what my wife did). You would need to supply a Canadian address for them to send the PR Card to (take 2 / 3 months), if none, you can still activate and ask for the card to be processed when you do have a Canadian address.

You can then land on another occasion to 'land as a settler' and do your customs 'goods accompanying / goods to follow' stuff on a later landing, as long as it is within 1 year of declaring PR.

On the other hand, if for whatever reason you definitely do NOT want to activate your CoPR on this particular trip, then you do not have to. They won't care.

Read about it here:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Landing_as_PR-Canada

DEBBIEG

Jun 25, 2016
Oregon
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
07-28-2016
Doc's Request.
27-10-2016
AOR Received.
08-18-2016
File Transfer...
8-30-2016
Med's Request
completed upfront
Med's Done....
06-07-016
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2017
So am I correct in understanding that you have a CoPR and want to take a short trip to Canada to set some things up then return to the US, presumably to sell up then return at a later date for good?

Personally, I would 'land to activate CoPR / declare PR' on your coming short trip (precisely what my wife did). You would need to supply a Canadian address for them to send the PR Card to (take 2 / 3 months), if none, you can still activate and ask for the card to be processed when you do have a Canadian address.

You can then land on another occasion to 'land as a settler' and do your customs 'goods accompanying / goods to follow' stuff on a later landing, as long as it is within 1 year of declaring PR.

On the other hand, if for whatever reason you definitely do NOT want to activate your CoPR on this particular trip, then you do not have to. They won't care.

Read about it here:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Landing_as_PR-Canada
Thank you for that information. It was very helpful!!!

BamBamBing

Star Member
Jun 3, 2010
App. Filed.......
End of March
Doc's Request.
End of April and End of May
AOR Received.
Mid-April
File Transfer...
Mid-May
Med's Done....
Mid-May
Is this also the case for someone who needs a visa to enter Canada? Is the TRV (toursit visa) cancelled once they issue the Immigrant visa (stamped in the passport) or it's possible to enter using the TRV even after the COPR is issued?

haXudon

May 31, 2015
Is this also the case for someone who needs a visa to enter Canada? Is the TRV (toursit visa) cancelled once they issue the Immigrant visa (stamped in the passport) or it's possible to enter using the TRV even after the COPR is issued?
in theory, a person cannot hold two separate visas at the same time. so yes, your TRV gets cancelled once your immigrant visa has been stamped.

BamBamBing

Star Member
Jun 3, 2010
App. Filed.......
End of March
Doc's Request.
End of April and End of May
AOR Received.
Mid-April
File Transfer...
Mid-May
Med's Done....
Mid-May
in theory, a person cannot hold two separate visas at the same time. so yes, your TRV gets cancelled once your immigrant visa has been stamped.
Thanks