+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Recieved CoPR but didnt add spouse on file ** Urgent Help**

Harshil Desai

May 1, 2023
I received my CoPR on January 18 2023 , got married on 21 February 2023. I landed in Vancouver on 19 April 2023 where they asked me about my marital status which was married which I haven't as my file was closed, so Vancouver officer hold my passport and CoPR stating we will not be able to give you my permanent residence today as your status isn't changed and then they send me to my final destination Winnipeg with 'certified copy of passport 'and a letter stating 'entry for further examination' and mentioned I have to call IRCC update them about my marital status and then when IRCC will have to update that officer before 18 May 2023, then officer will send my passport and CoPR at Winnipeg airport. I called IRCC and submitted my marriage certificate and they reopened my file. Now I am in Winnipeg with no status with time limit and I have no idea what to do next. Need help.. Thank you in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I received my CoPR on January 18 2023 , got married on 21 February 2023. I landed in Vancouver on 19 April 2023 where they asked me about my marital status which was married which I haven't as my file was closed, so Vancouver officer hold my passport and CoPR stating we will not be able to give you my permanent residence today as your status isn't changed and then they send me to my final destination Winnipeg with 'certified copy of passport 'and a letter stating 'entry for further examination' and mentioned I have to call IRCC update them about my marital status and then when IRCC will have to update that officer before 18 May 2023, then officer will send my passport and CoPR at Winnipeg airport. I called IRCC and submitted my marriage certificate and they reopened my file. Now I am in Winnipeg with no status with time limit and I have no idea what to do next. Need help.. Thank you in advance.
It may be best that you hire an immigration lawyer to help you at this point.

Your situation is quite unusual since you failed to declare and add your spouse to your application before landing. It was mandatory to declare your spouse before landing and add your spouse to your application. Adding your spouse to your application doesn't just involve submitting a marriage certificate, your spouse must also complete a medical, provide PCCs and complete all of the required forms. IRCC also must conduct a background check and security check on your spouse.

Again, probably best to speak with an immigration lawyer since your situation is complex and you unfortunately failed to follow instructions / rules.

Harshil Desai

May 1, 2023
It may be best that you hire an immigration lawyer to help you at this point.

Your situation is quite unusual since you failed to declare and add your spouse to your application before landing. It was mandatory to declare your spouse before landing and add your spouse to your application. Adding your spouse to your application doesn't just involve submitting a marriage certificate, your spouse must also complete a medical, provide PCCs and complete all of the required forms. IRCC also must conduct a background check and security check on your spouse.

Again, probably best to speak with an immigration lawyer since your situation is complex and you unfortunately failed to follow instructions / rules.
Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
This will likely take months so you may want to return to India since you will be waiting in Canada without the ability to work, won’t qualify for healthcare, etc.

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

furrukhrao

Jun 13, 2015
You got your COPR after that you got married. At the border they will ask for your Marital status you responded with Truth and either you will be soft deported or they will let you enter as single.

1) You must inform IRCC for any change in status.
2) You must not enter in Canada rather get your status updated and come together.

3) Its highly unlikely that they will cancel your COPR because you didn't Informed them but it depends on the Immigration officer.

ahsan123*

Oct 11, 2023
Hi. same happened to me mate. Did you get updated copr ?. I submitted my wife docs and forms in aug, but still waiting for reply.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi. same happened to me mate. Did you get updated copr ?. I submitted my wife docs and forms in aug, but still waiting for reply.
Your wife will also have to do a medical. This process can take months. Do you have status in Canada and for how long?