+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Received the visa but no study permit yet - how to proceed?

razraptre

Nov 13, 2020
Some background - My first application was in July which got rejected due to a lack of proof that I would leave at the end of my stay. I reapplied at the beginning of October and attached a study plan, and this application was approved last week. I submitted my passport and received it today with the visa.

I'm enrolled for the Jan 21 intake at Langara and they require me to show proof of a study permit before I can register for classes. Thing is, I'm not sure how to get that. AFAIK you used to have to enter Canada to receive the permit. And I know that there's a 2-stage approval thing for those who applied before September 15 where you can get an Approval-In-Principal in place of a permit.

But registration begins this week and I'm a little concerned because I'm lost on where to go from here. My application page says that I'm approved, and well I already have the visa. So I want to believe that I'll receive a copy of the permit or an AIP soon but I haven't received any communication from the IRCC since I got the visa.

Does anyone have any advice on whom to contact about this, or is anyone else in a similar situation?

Anan Yu

Jun 6, 2020
United States
Category........
FSW
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
If it is your first time applying for the student permit, you are supposed to get the permit at the border (CBSA) when you enter Canada.

razraptre

Nov 13, 2020
If it is your first time applying for the student permit, you are supposed to get the permit at the border (CBSA) when you enter Canada.
But isn't the border closed for non-essential travel? My classes are all held online for the upcoming semester, too.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
You will not receive any permit until you enter Canada, your scholl probably has other arrangements like providing the approval letter (POE) instead of study permit, even before pandemic my school allowed this so those not in Canada yet could register.

razraptre

Nov 13, 2020
You will not receive any permit until you enter Canada, your scholl probably has other arrangements like providing the approval letter (POE) instead of study permit, even before pandemic my school allowed this so those not in Canada yet could register.
You are right, my school has said that an approval-in-principal or letter of introduction will be accepted in place of a study permit.

However I have not received any of these since I was issued the visa. The moment the visa arrived, my application was marked as completed and there has been no communication from the IRCC since.

I've asked the college whether I can register for now with the visa (since I don't think there is a case where they issue you the student visa but deny the study permit, right?) so hopefully it should be enough.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
You are right, my school has said that an approval-in-principal or letter of introduction will be accepted in place of a study permit.

However I have not received any of these since I was issued the visa. The moment the visa arrived, my application was marked as completed and there has been no communication from the IRCC since.

I've asked the college whether I can register for now with the visa (since I don't think there is a case where they issue you the student visa but deny the study permit, right?) so hopefully it should be enough.
POE letter is normally in the myGIC account as a pdf but it happens that people dont get it, I would send a webform if its not there.