+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Reapply before PR card expires?

Wendigo

Oct 25, 2009
I got my PR status in January 09. I'll probably spend the next 3 years outside Canada due to studies. Theoretically I could move to Canada by Jan. 2012 and not lose my PR status. Now what if I see that I cannot meet the residency obligations, could I reapply for a new PR before my PR Card expires. So let's say I reapply in February 2012 even though my card expires only in Jan. 2014.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Wendigo

Oct 25, 2009
By reapplying I meant going through the whole immigration process again for instance as a skilled worker and not just renewing my pr card. Just to avoid any misunderstanding...

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is a good question. I myself have thought about this. Can someone re-apply before PR card expires?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, you can contact the embassy where you live or Canada immigration and tell them that you realize you have lost your PR due to residency requirements. You will probably have to sign some papers and hand in your PR card.

Wendigo

Oct 25, 2009
Leon said:
You will probably have to sign some papers and hand in your PR card.
Thanks Leon for replying so swiftly! Returning my PR card? I'm not sure whether I'd have the heart to do that. lol

A more specific question, if someone has the time to answer it:
I've got a job offer approved by the HRSDC, which I sent along with my other application papers when I applied for PR as a skilled worker. I believe my job offer is valid till 2011...don't know the exact month, don't have the paper right with me.
Could I re-apply with the same job offer as a skilled worker and even before the time it's clear whether I'll lose my PR due to residency requirements? I know it sounds kind of stupid to re-apply for a new PR after 2 years only, but if that would be possible I'd be really happy.