+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

REALLY CONFUSING.. IELTS: Is academic acceptable?

ghie87

Apr 19, 2012
Hi everyone!

I'M A NEWBIE. I've been a silent reader for quite some time now and have read conflicting responses about this topic.

Is IELTS Academic acceptable for Quebec and Federal submission? I'm scheduled for academic exam on May 19 and I'm kinda confused whether to get on with it or not.

Thanks for those who will give me answers. Good luck to everyone! :)

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

ghie87 said:
Hi everyone!

I'M A NEWBIE. I've been a silent reader for quite some time now and have read conflicting responses about this topic.

Is IELTS Academic acceptable for Quebec and Federal submission? I'm scheduled for academic exam on May 19 and I'm kinda confused whether to get on with it or not.

If you have been a silent reader for a long time, you would have noted that only General is acceptable for Immigration.

ghie87

Apr 19, 2012
thanks for your reply. the thing is, some with academic ielts actually said their application was accepted and experienced no prob at all.

now i don't know if i should cancel my scheduled academic ielts since some say ielts general is the only accepted result.

albertbrine

Apr 19, 2012
Since you are silent reader from long time, Please tell me is it necessary to go through the exam because i am planning to look out for job and someone suggested me you have to go through ielts. I am confused.

ghie87

Apr 19, 2012
albertine,

if you earned enough points to apply without ur IELTS results, then i guess your good to go. but if not, then i suggest you take IELTS since they only accept the original certificate to give you points for it.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

ghie87 said:
albertine,

if you earned enough points to apply without ur IELTS results, then i guess your good to go. but if not, then i suggest you take IELTS since they only accept the original certificate to give you points for it.
1. No IELTs or CELPIP for Federal application, it will be refused. Read #9 http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5612E.pdf
2. For Quebec Applicants:

Evaluation of French proficiency

Skilled worker candidates (principal claimants and spouses) who wish to obtain points for their French proficiency must demonstrate this proficiency by enclosing with their immigration application the results of a French evaluation test issued by one of the two organizations recognized by the Ministère, specifically:

the Test d’évaluation du français adapté pour le Québec (TEFAQ) of the Chambre de commerce et d’industrie de Paris (CCIP);
the Test de connaissance du français pour le Québec (TCFQ) of the Centre international d’études pédagogiques (CIEP);
the Test d’évaluation du français (TEF) of the CCIP;
the Test de connaissance du français (TCF) of the CIEP;
the Diplôme d’études en langue française (DELF) of the CIEP;
the Diplôme approfondi de langue française (DALF) of the CIEP.

Candidates who choose to present a TEF or TCF must enclose the results of the oral comprehension test and the oral expression test. Note that written proficiency is not evaluated when applying for a Québec Selection Certificate.

The current list of TEF, TEFAQ, TCF, TCFQ, DELF and DALF accredited centres can be consulted on the respective websites of the Chambre de commerce et d’industrie de Paris and the Centre international d'études pédagogiques.
Evaluation of English proficiency

Skilled worker candidates (principle claimants only) who wish to obtain points for their English proficiency must demonstrate this proficiency by enclosing with their application the results of an English evaluation test recognized by the Ministère, namely the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).

jvictorfc

Aug 16, 2011
In the official source from ielts they say that:

Test format

IELTS is available in two test formats:
Academic or General Training. All candidates take the same Listening and Speaking modules but different Reading and Writing modules ...

So, Its the same the listening test and speaking for both, academic and gerenal, the questions stands, will they accept or not? We will need just the band for those two: listening and speaking.

Has anybody seen in an official source from quebec telling the same thing? We can not just compare it with the information from the federal proccess which says that it has to be the General test, because there they see also writing and reading.

bevsjo27

May 13, 2012
jvictorfc said:
In the official source from ielts they say that:

Test format

IELTS is available in two test formats:
Academic or General Training. All candidates take the same Listening and Speaking modules but different Reading and Writing modules ...

So, Its the same the listening test and speaking for both, academic and gerenal, the questions stands, will they accept or not? We will need just the band for those two: listening and speaking.

Has anybody seen in an official source from quebec telling the same thing? We can not just compare it with the information from the federal proccess which says that it has to be the General test, because there they see also writing and reading.

albertbrine

Apr 19, 2012
ghie87 said:
albertine,

Thanks for the suggestion but I will try to go for IELTS first and then in the job it will help me in my future.

canada1234

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Dec 2012
ghie87 said:
Hi everyone!

General Training for Canada Immigration.

rajababu

Dec 6, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
new delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2nd April 2010
Doc's Request.
9 August 2010
AOR Received.
1st May 2010,2nd AOR 29 August 2010
Med's Done....
AR and decision made
VISA ISSUED...
REJECTION
ghie87 said:
Hi everyone!

kiwi1

Star Member
Jun 9, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi

does any1 in the forum heard any rumors (?) that in the new rules, CIC might be requiring ACADEMIC IELTS for Nurses and other professionals and that the GENERAL IELTS will then be for non-skilled applicants?

Nadeem_jee

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2010
U.A.E
Visa Office......
ABUDHABI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2010
Doc's Request.
30-04-2010
Nomination.....
00-00-00
AOR Received.
30-04-2010/1st AOR
IELTS Request
01-04-2010
File Transfer...
9-06-2010/25-08-2010 2nd AOR
Med's Request
Waiting
Med's Done....
Waiting
Interview........
00-00-00
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
tHOUGH gENERAL Ielts is required for imigration but if u take Academic IELTS it can fullfill both Education and immigration because Academic Ielts is more stronger then general... but general Ielts can not work for education!!