+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Really confused about translation of documents

Bryan02

Star Member
Aug 8, 2016
I keep reading bout true copies, but I have no idea what is actually required. IRCC states -

"If one of your documents is in a language other than English or French, you must also upload

• an English or French translation that’s
    • stamped by a certified translator
      • The translator should photocopy your original document and stamp it if that’s what they based the translation on.
      • All stamps and seals that aren’t in English or French must also be translated. You can include a scanned copy of a letter explaining that you don’t need an affidavit because you used a certified translator.
    • or
    • accompanied by an affidavitfrom the person who completed the translation
      • Use this option only if a translation cannot be completed by a certified translator.
      • Both the translated document and the original document the translator worked from must be referred to in the affidavit.
  • a scan of the original document, or a scan of a certified photocopyof the original document that the translator worked from
    • You only need to provide a scan of a certified photocopy of the original document if the translation was based on the certified photocopy."
Does this mean I need to bring my document and a photocopy of my document to a notary to get it certified? From my understanding the notary is FOR the translated version and the original photocopied document to make sure the original one IS the one that was translated.

Pleas y'all Ive been at this for days and I still don't get it.

ConfusedJ

Star Member
May 10, 2018
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
14-08-2018
AOR Received.
07-09-2018
Med's Request
16-11-2018
Med's Done....
07-12-2018
LANDED..........
21-10-2021
I keep reading bout true copies, but I have no idea what is actually required. IRCC states -

"If one of your documents is in a language other than English or French, you must also upload

• an English or French translation that’s
    • stamped by a certified translator
      • The translator should photocopy your original document and stamp it if that’s what they based the translation on.
      • All stamps and seals that aren’t in English or French must also be translated. You can include a scanned copy of a letter explaining that you don’t need an affidavit because you used a certified translator.
    • or
    • accompanied by an affidavitfrom the person who completed the translation
      • Use this option only if a translation cannot be completed by a certified translator.
      • Both the translated document and the original document the translator worked from must be referred to in the affidavit.
  • a scan of the original document, or a scan of a certified photocopyof the original document that the translator worked from
    • You only need to provide a scan of a certified photocopy of the original document if the translation was based on the certified photocopy."
Does this mean I need to bring my document and a photocopy of my document to a notary to get it certified? From my understanding the notary is FOR the translated version and the original photocopied document to make sure the original one IS the one that was translated.

Pleas y'all Ive been at this for days and I still don't get it.
If you hired a certified translator then you send them a copy of the document that they will return to you translated with certification and notary stamps. I used docsbase canada many times and it’s pretty straight forward and done through email and you will get both a pdf (that os what I sent to IRCC) and an envelope with the translation on the mail. Hope this helps

Bryan02

Star Member
Aug 8, 2016
If you hired a certified translator then you send them a copy of the document that they will return to you translated with certification and notary stamps. I used docsbase canada many times and it’s pretty straight forward and done through email and you will get both a pdf (that os what I sent to IRCC) and an envelope with the translation on the mail. Hope this helps
So the photocopy documents you sent over to docbase initially for translation wasn't notarized?

ConfusedJ

Star Member
May 10, 2018
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
14-08-2018
AOR Received.
07-09-2018
Med's Request
16-11-2018
Med's Done....
07-12-2018
LANDED..........
21-10-2021
So the photocopy documents you sent over to docbase initially for translation wasn't notarized?
Not at all, just the original document and they do the rest

ConfusedJ

Star Member
May 10, 2018
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
14-08-2018
AOR Received.
07-09-2018
Med's Request
16-11-2018
Med's Done....
07-12-2018
LANDED..........
21-10-2021
Yes, if you are sending an email it will be an scan of the original document. The visa office needs a certified translation and in order to certified the translator needs to identify her or himself and in order for it to be a proper legal document the translator will have it notarized for you. So yes all I needed to do with that translation company was send an email with an image of the document and pay the fee and it took 1.5 business days to be all done and ready to submit

Bryan02

Star Member
Aug 8, 2016
Yes, if you are sending an email it will be an scan of the original document. The visa office needs a certified translation and in order to certified the translator needs to identify her or himself and in order for it to be a proper legal document the translator will have it notarized for you. So yes all I needed to do with that translation company was send an email with an image of the document and pay the fee and it took 1.5 business days to be all done and ready to submit
omg brilliant - the IRCC language is so unclear and some translation companies also claim the document needs to be notarized AGAINST the actual hardcopy document PRIOR to translation.

ConfusedJ

Star Member
May 10, 2018
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
14-08-2018
AOR Received.
07-09-2018
Med's Request
16-11-2018
Med's Done....
07-12-2018
LANDED..........
21-10-2021
Ugh yes it is uncleared! I hope you can get it done now. Best of luck :)

Reactions: Bryan02

hp009

Aug 20, 2020
Hi, so they provide certified true copy of original document. We don’t need to do anything from our end right? Just send them scan of original through email and whatever they send is good to upload?