+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re: Spousal Sponsorship

xprecious32

Mar 27, 2012
Hi There, I have a few questions in regards to sponsoring my spouse to come here to Canada. We are not married yet, we are getting married in the US on may 19th. He will be staying there in the US and I will be returning home. We have been visiting each other atleast once a month for the last 3 years. I have the forms so I can start filling them out now. What I want to know is if we need a lawyer to do this and if he can come and visit me while the paperwork is going through and will I still be able to go and visit him. He also has 3 children that his ex has full custody of and they will not be coming with him, how does this affect me sponsoring him, or does it affect things at all. Any help and advice I can get would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 23, 2012
Hi xprecious32,

When you apply outland you are both free to travel although at the same risk that you could potentially be denied if they suspect you are trying to stay permanently, especially since you will be married. It's important to say that you're visiting and not moving and be able to back up the claim.

As for the children, they will have to be included as "family members" on your applications no matter if they will be accompanying him or not, they will also have to undergo medicals. You will be able to indicate that they will not be accompanying and provide the reason. If they are not included they will never be able to be sponsored to come to Canada by you or him at a later date, not to mention the fact that if you didn't include them he'd be lying on the application.

As for the lawyer, it is absolutely not necessary. I personally did not use one and I feel confident that it was done properly, but we had a very straightforward case. It is a personal decision but I suggest going over all of the forms yourselves a few times, checking on the forum for answers, get a very good handle on what is required of you and if you still have strong doubts and uncertainties then you could consult someone, but it's best to go into such a meeting with the most information as possible. All of the information you need is on the application websites, although you have to be patient and cross-check some things sometimes, and this forum is filled with many answers to many questions.