+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re Entry with soon to expire PR Card

eriku

Star Member
Mar 22, 2012
hi Leon!

I hope you still remember my case. I just noticed that there's no arrival stamp in my passport. I don't know why. Is this necessary for PR card renewal?

thanks

erik

CSQ

Aug 29, 2012
Have you got any response / answer to your query?

eriku said:
hi Leon!

I hope you still remember my case. I just noticed that there's no arrival stamp in my passport. I don't know why. Is this necessary for PR card renewal?

thanks

erik

CSQ

Aug 29, 2012
usually they dont stamp the passport at exit but surely stamp at entry point. I have no idea but may be experienced members like Leon can advise you better.

eriku said:
hi, no response so far. Do you have any idea about it? thanks

CSQ

Aug 29, 2012
robertodelacruz said:
Thanks very much Leon. Appreciate all your responses.
God bless you.
robertodelacruz, you must have landed by now and settled in Canada. Can you please share your landing expereince with us.

lenodis

Apr 11, 2011
eriku, thank you for sharing your experience, could you be so kind to indicate in which airport you passed the border control. About stamps, they may stamp passport and may not. For PR renewal it is better to keep the boarding pass to proof the date of entry.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CBSA seemed to have stopped stamping passports since last year (unless requested and even then they can brush you off and if your RO is dicey would you hang around or clear customs real quick) but your entry will be recorded as your PR Card will be scanned. Hang on to all boarding passes and keep a record of your travel dates. Its ironic that come test date a Citizenship Officer will be comparing stamps in your passport with declared dates and if he/she doesn't have the CBSA report then its unfair on the applicant which is the reason citizenship applicants will continue to request CBSA records.

eriku

Star Member
Mar 22, 2012
I see. When the officer gave me back my passport, I didn't bother checking for stamps, for I was very excited to be allowed to re-enter. I just realized later that there was no stamp but I do kept my boarding passes, copy of the ticket, luggage tags, etc.

beeth

Jun 19, 2014
Hi eriku,

I wonder if any problem to apply for the health card with expiring/expired PR Card. My parents have the same issue, and plan to re-enter Canada next week, but we worry about health care issue if they can't apply for a new health card, then they have to give up. Could you please share your experience? Thank you!

eriku

Star Member
Mar 22, 2012
Hi Beeth,

When I re-entered canada my PR card is not expired yet but I don't remember it being asked when I applied for a health card. They just asked for proof of residency in that province like a billing statement, bank statement, etc. Hope this helps.

princeofindia

Star Member
Aug 31, 2011
Abu Dhabi
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-10-2010
Nomination.....
10-10-2011
AOR Received.
25-12-2011
Med's Request
19-05-2012
Med's Done....
03-08-2012
Interview........
NO
Passport Req..
05-01-2013
Reenter Canada with different country passport

Hi Qorax, Leon and all other experts who have advised me time to time with my queries. Thank you all. I am happy to inform you that i am landing in july 2014 in Canada.

I am a 2005 applicant from New Delhi and i finally got immigrant visa after 9 years !!! My circumstances have changed a lot. I was single in 2005 now i am married with a 5 year old child and thankfully all have been given visa. I was in India in 2005 desperate to go to west. Today i am in a tax free govt job in Abu Dhabi which will be foolish to leave. I wish Canada had decided my case then within a year.

Ok quick question to you guys. I dont think you guys would have come across such a unique case as i am going to describe. I am landing in July 2014 with Indian passport and my PR card remains valid till July 2019. So it gives me a 5 year backup.

I was born in GOA and my parents and grandparents too were Goans. Because Canada was taking so long, last year i applied for Portugal passport process. (Portugal gives passport to goans born before 1961 and to their next 2 generations). My portugal passport process is still under processing and will take a couple of years.

Say after my Canada PR card expires in 2019, i get a portugal passport and using that i go to canada say after 5 years and as you know Canada gives portugal citizens visa free travel to canada. Or with Portugal passport i enter USA since it is visa free to USA for portugal passportholders and enter canada through road boder from USA will the Canada immigration come to know that i am the same person who landed with indian passport and whose PR card has expired or since i am entering with a different country passport who has visa free travel to Canda i will be considered a tourist from portugal. And once i enter Canada even after 5 years and if i stay 2 years i can renew pr card again.

regards
prince

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
princeofindia said:
Or with Portugal passport i enter USA since it is visa free to USA for portugal passportholders and enter canada through road boder from USA will the Canada immigration come to know that i am the same person who landed with indian passport and whose PR card has expired or since i am entering with a different country passport who has visa free travel to Canda i will be considered a tourist from portugal. And once i enter Canada even after 5 years and if i stay 2 years i can renew pr card again.
They may not realize that you are the same person who landed 5 years earlier with a different passport and if you do stay for 2 years, with the current law, you could renew your PR card without any consequences. You would however face other difficulties, for example if your PR card is expired when you arrive, you may have problems getting a drivers license and health care or even a job. There is no law that says you need a PR card inside Canada as it was originally only meant for travel but over the years, it has gotten a lot more common that you are asked to show a valid PR card as proof of your status.

Second problem, assuming your wife and child are not getting Portugese passports, you may be looking at a long separation from your family. If they arrive on their old passports with PR cards about to expire, it will be apparent to immigration that they don't meet the RO. Another problem is if you and your wife have more children in the next 5 years who will not be PR. They must be sponsored but you can not sponsor them while you don't meet the RO yourself.

One option would be for your wife to move to Canada with your child now and for you to visit on a regular basis. You coul let your wife and child stay long enough to get citizenship and then you can think about where you want to live. If you lose your PR due to not meeting the RO, if your wife is in Canada and she meets it, she can always sponsor you again or you can use your Portugese passport to visit.

mb1977

May 2, 2015
Hi Leon and other experts out there doing a wonderful job advising others. Need some urgent adv.
We (self/wife/daughter) had done our landing in 2010 end and we had returned after a month and not returned after that. Our PR cards are expiring in November end and we want to return now.
1. First what are our chances of making a smooth entry as we will not be meeting the residency obligation.
In few posts it is suggested that safer option is to fly in to USA and then drive into Canada (my brother is a Canadian citizen), so that can be done. So is it worth wile, as I then have to apply for a US visa first, or do we have a fair chance just flying into Canada.

2. Will we be able to apply for our health cards and whatever other formality, with our PR cards about to expire. We have our SIN and PR cards only at the moment.

3. Once the cards expire can we apply for renewal immediately or do we wait for 2 years. Living with an expired PR card does it pose any problem in terms of , god forbid if any major health issue is there and one needs to be hospitalized. University admission- it says that one has to show that you are a PR or citizen, so how does that go once the cards expire.

4. If there is a child birth during the time that PR has expired and 2 years have not finished, so can there be any problem at that time as we (parents) will have an expired PR card and we need to register the child's birth, passport etc.
Pl adv

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Whether you enter by plane or at the US border, it is possible that you will be reported on entry if they are aware that you don't meet the residency obligation. If that happens, you can appeal it and continue to live in Canada as a PR while your appeal is being processed which can take 1-2 years from what I've heard. Depending on your reasons for not having met the RO, you may win or lose the appeal. If you lose, you will lose your PR and be asked to leave. Time spent during the appeal will not count towards your RO unless you win. During the appeal processing, you can renew your PR card for 1 year at a time but it would be wise not to travel during the processing time as you want to show that you are ready and willing to settle in Canada at this point if it comes to that.

No Canadian law says that you must have a valid PR card while living in Canada. However, it's increasing that it's being asked for as a proof of your valid PR status. If you get a health card and drivers license before your PR card expires and stay in the same province for 2 years, you should be ok. In some cases employers may ask for it so it can affect your job hunting.

If you are able to enter Canada without getting reported, it would not be wise to try to renew your PR card before the 2 years have passed, unless you have some strong humane and compassionate grounds for why you were unable to meet the RO. Otherwise, you would only be attracting attention to yourself that you are in Canada and that you don't meet the RO and inviting them to investigate your status.