+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-entry to Canada ... Urgent help required

seekinginfo1

Jan 27, 2013
Hello!

I need your help with the following situation:

I am a citizen of India. I was issued a multiple entry Canada VISA in India in Nov-2011 valid for a year. I was issued a work permit at port of entry which also was valid for a year (Nov-2012). I received an extened work permit (in August 2012) which is valid till November- 2013. I continued staying in Canada on this extended work permit till early January this year. I was required to travel to USA on work VISA for a short duration and am now required to return back Canada at earliest. Could someone please let me know if I could travel back to Canada on the expired VISA (based on the valid extended work permit)? My extended work permit has a statement on it " Not authorized for re-entry". IF it is allowed, could you please let me know which airline will allow me to board with this status of documents? I have not travelled any othr country other than USA after leaving Canada. Your urgent help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

northyork_beaver

Star Member
Feb 2, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You need re-entry visa to enter Canada, there are 4 canadian consulate office in United States (New York, Los Angeles, Detroit and Seatle), this time apply for multiple visa so you can enter Canada anytime without hassle. Good luck!

honeysweetie

Jun 17, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
seekinginfo1 said:
Hello!

I need your help with the following situation:

I am a citizen of India. I was issued a multiple entry Canada VISA in India in Nov-2011 valid for a year. I was issued a work permit at port of entry which also was valid for a year (Nov-2012). I received an extened work permit (in August 2012) which is valid till November- 2013. I continued staying in Canada on this extended work permit till early January this year. I was required to travel to USA on work VISA for a short duration and am now required to return back Canada at earliest. Could someone please let me know if I could travel back to Canada on the expired VISA (based on the valid extended work permit)? My extended work permit has a statement on it " Not authorized for re-entry". IF it is allowed, could you please let me know which airline will allow me to board with this status of documents? I have not travelled any othr country other than USA after leaving Canada. Your urgent help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Apply for re-entry TRV at CPP-Ottawa. details here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visa.asp

hello3384

Dec 14, 2011
The earlier post is absolutely wrong. If you are in workpermit, you can re-enter from united states with an expired visa. This is possible only from united states. I did the same last year, when I attended the conference. My work permit was of class W1. Before I left canada, I enquired about all these requirements. The CIC call centre told me that you can re-enter as long as you only travel to United States. Everything went smoothly until i tried to re-enter at cleveland (CLE) airport through united airlines. The agent told me that you can not do that because you do not have a valied visa. I showed them my workpermit and explained in detail that this is an exceptional case. They told me to hold for a moment and enquired with many higher officials. After few minutes they came back and told me that, I am right. However, that was not the end of the story. At the port of entry ( Montreal) the immigration officer told me that you can not enter since your visa is expired :eek:. I never expected that. Then I explained again to her in every detail and she told me to hold for a moment since she has to ask to her higher officials for confirmation. After a while she came back and appologized for the mistake. She became very polite.. ( May be thinking that I was shocked due to her mistake.. ) She accompanied me for few minutes and told be that everything is fine...

4sheartko

Oct 10, 2012
hello3384 said:
The earlier post is absolutely wrong. If you are in workpermit, you can re-enter from united states with an expired visa. This is possible only from united states. I did the same last year, when I attended the conference. My work permit was of class W1. Before I left canada, I enquired about all these requirements. The CIC call centre told me that you can re-enter as long as you only travel to United States. Everything went smoothly until i tried to re-enter at cleveland (CLE) airport through united airlines. The agent told me that you can not do that because you do not have a valied visa. I showed them my workpermit and explained in detail that this is an exceptional case. They told me to hold for a moment and enquired with many higher officials. After few minutes they came back and told me that, I am right. However, that was not the end of the story. At the port of entry ( Montreal) the immigration officer told me that you can not enter since your visa is expired :eek:. I never expected that. Then I explained again to her in every detail and she told me to hold for a moment since she has to ask to her higher officials for confirmation. After a while she came back and appologized for the mistake. She became very polite.. ( May be thinking that I was shocked due to her mistake.. ) She accompanied me for few minutes and told be that everything is fine...

I went to US with expired visa too and when I come back they DID NOT let me in. Better to apply re-entry visa. I went to LA and I got my re-entry visa in the same day.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

hello3384 said:
Note you have to return within the validity of status in Canada though.