+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-entry during visa extension

Bitey

May 26, 2011
My wife came here on a working holiday visa, and that will be expiring in August. We have began the process for her permanent residence, but it takes time and her visa will expire before it comes. She will get her visa changed into a visitor visa - but here lies the problem.

When her current visa expires, we will be out of the country at a friend's wedding in the USA. We have read that it takes some time for the extension to come in, but we think it's a good idea to pay the $75 for it anyway. Any idea how long this takes?

We have heard that there are risks to leaving the country and coming back and just hoping to get a visa at the border. Also, it could have a negative impact on her application for permanent residence.

Is there anything we can do? Will they see at the border that the application for a visitor visa has been applied for? I am assuming no.
How much of a risk is this? She is Japanese, if it matters.

Thanks for any help!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Bitey said:
My wife came here on a working holiday visa, and that will be expiring in August. We have began the process for her permanent residence, but it takes time and her visa will expire before it comes. She will get her visa changed into a visitor visa - but here lies the problem.

When her current visa expires, we will be out of the country at a friend's wedding in the USA. We have read that it takes some time for the extension to come in, but we think it's a good idea to pay the $75 for it anyway. Any idea how long this takes?

We have heard that there are risks to leaving the country and coming back and just hoping to get a visa at the border. Also, it could have a negative impact on her application for permanent residence.

Is there anything we can do? Will they see at the border that the application for a visitor visa has been applied for? I am assuming no.
How much of a risk is this? She is Japanese, if it matters.

Thanks for any help!
1. As soon as she leaves Canada her visitor status expires. So it doesn't matter that she submitted an extension. It will be up to the examining officer whether she is readmitted or not.

Bitey

May 26, 2011
Thanks for the reply PMM.
Do you have any idea what the risk would be? For a wealthy-ish and presentable married woman who speaks English, is there a high risk of her being turned away? It seems really harsh, does this happen?
I'm aware that you couldn't be sure and there is a great variance depending on the examining officer, but any insight you could provide would be a great help.

Thanks!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Bitey said:
Thanks for the reply PMM.
Do you have any idea what the risk would be? For a wealthy-ish and presentable married woman who speaks English, is there a high risk of her being turned away? It seems really harsh, does this happen?
I'm aware that you couldn't be sure and there is a great variance depending on the examining officer, but any insight you could provide would be a great help.

Thanks!
Should be fairly good, but remember, an IO can take the attitude that with a Canadian spouse and PR application it is her intention to remain permanently rather than visit.

dila2401

May 18, 2011
hello !

i am in canada and planning to go for marriage ... i have to go for mauitius and get my fiancee
she has already enroll with her immigration process for Quebec and it taking long ..she is only 6 months now since the procedures ...
if she come with me on a visitors visa .... we would make only religious ceremony would it be ok ??
is it easy to hv extension of her visa ??
what would be the implication of the 6 months visa on her immigration procedure ??
how about in the meantime she is on the tourist visa she is pregnant

thanx for responsing
Adi