+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-entering Canada on work permit visa with newborn?

jess1377

Aug 23, 2013
My husband and I are UK citizens and both have work permits (expiring in Nov 2015). We have been living and working in Canada for the last 2.5 years, with visas tied to the work permits, and are in the midst of getting the PR application together (I'm waiting on a background check from the US). I am pregnant, and we are due to make a quick trip to England. It is EXTREMELY unlikely the baby will be born while I'm away, but I'm wondering how we would proceed if that should happen. We would have to extend our stay in the UK, but the baby would have UK citizenship through us, and we could get the UK passport reasonably quickly. Then what?

Can we rock up to the Canadian border with baby in tow?
Or do we have to hope for TRV (or worse, getting rejected from TRV and then attempting TRP approval?) while we finish our PR application and include the baby in it?

Neither of us would be eligible to sponsor the child from within Canada, as we are not PR yet, but obviously it would be a hardship to not be able to go back to our jobs and home in Canada, and we can't leave the baby in England...

Any thoughts appreciated (other than 'don't go to England'--that is obviously one option, but I would like to know the likely consequences if we did go).

Thank in advance!

Julsen

Dec 28, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19/08/2013
AOR Received.
12/09/2013
Hi,
From the little i know, I'd say stay in Canada and have your baby. As a UK citizen, your baby will still have citizenship through you(if you'd still want your baby to). It's much easier and less complicated. You can always make the trip later, with your baby.
So eliminate complications with your work and everything else, and postpone that trip for now.
That's just my "limited" opinion.Hope it helps :)
Cheers and all the best:)

Julsen

Dec 28, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19/08/2013
AOR Received.
12/09/2013
Hi,
From the little i know, I'd say stay in Canada and have your baby. As a UK citizen, your baby will still have citizenship through you(if you'd still want your baby to). It's much easier and less complicated. You can always make the trip later, with your baby.
So eliminate complications with your work and everything else, and postpone that trip for now.
That's just my "limited" opinion.Hope it helps :)
Cheers and all the best:)