+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-enter Canada from US with valid Canadian work permit but expired TRV

Alin1

Apr 25, 2023
Hi, I applied for a visitor visa extension after I received my work permit, but I have not heard back due to the on-going strike. I have already made travels to the US and not able to cancel.
However, on the IRCC website, it states that I can travel to the US and re-enter Canada with a valid work permit even if my TRV is expired. I am a little skeptical about this but I have been reading about people that have travelled from US to Canada with an expired TRV but valid study/work permit and they faced no issues.
I will also be crossing the border via road, if that would make a difference.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

MohamedMustafa456789

Star Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hi, I applied for a visitor visa extension after I received my work permit, but I have not heard back due to the on-going strike. I have already made travels to the US and not able to cancel.
However, on the IRCC website, it states that I can travel to the US and re-enter Canada with a valid work permit even if my TRV is expired. I am a little skeptical about this but I have been reading about people that have travelled from US to Canada with an expired TRV but valid study/work permit and they faced no issues.

if you only visited the US or St. Pierre and Miquelon while away from Canada then you can re-enter on an expired visa, but if you went elsewhere and then travelled to the US to enter Canada then it will not work.

Alin1

Apr 25, 2023
if you only visited the US or St. Pierre and Miquelon while away from Canada then you can re-enter on an expired visa, but if you went elsewhere and then travelled to the US to enter Canada then it will not work.
Thank you for your help! Have been in a similar situation before? Or know of anyone that has travelled to Canada from US before with an expired TRV ?

marcus931

May 10, 2023

Hello, I'm just checking with you as of now being February 2024. I'm in the exact same situation and am considering crossing the border via road. Were you able to re-enter/return to Canada? I have been waiting to hear back from my visitor visa extension but the processing time has taken far longer than the 21 day period that was mentioned. It has now taken over 2 months for my visitor visa extension to be approved. I traveled to the US, have been in the US since Dec 18, 2023 and have not traveled anywhere else but I'm seriously considering returning to Vancouver, BC via the CBSA border from Seattle, Washington. Do you advise I go ahead?

Guri6060

Dec 30, 2023
Hello, I'm just checking with you as of now being February 2024. I'm in the exact same situation and am considering crossing the border via road. Were you able to re-enter/return to Canada? I have been waiting to hear back from my visitor visa extension but the processing time has taken far longer than the 21 day period that was mentioned. It has now taken over 2 months for my visitor visa extension to be approved. I traveled to the US, have been in the US since Dec 18, 2023 and have not traveled anywhere else but I'm seriously considering returning to Vancouver, BC via the CBSA border from Seattle, Washington. Do you advise I go ahead?
If you have valid work/study permit
TRV does not matter from USA.