+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RCMP Police check - under what circumstances?

chrischris

Star Member
Mar 15, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-05-2011
File Transfer...
21-06-2011
Med's Done....
09-05-2011
Hi all,

I understand in some circumstances they ask you to get an RCMP police check. I lived in Vancouver for 12 months nearly 10 years ago and never had any trouble (or even any contact) with the law or the police.

As a sponsered outland applicant (currently awaiting spousal sponsor approval) can anyone comment on the likelihood of me getting a police check request from the London VO further down the line? Is it routine for then to ask this of anyone that has previously lived in Canada or is it only in some cases that they ask for it?

Cheers
Chris

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
It is not typical. They could ask for it, though. Usually they just check using your name, and then if they get any hits they ask for fingerprints and an official RCMP clearance. They could get hits simply because you share a name with a criminal, though, not only because you had done anything wrong.

samba18

Feb 24, 2011
Hi Chris,

I got requested for a RCMP Police check and much like you lived in Canada on a 12 month work visa. My name isn't particularly common so I'm guessing the fact that I lived out there previously was why I got requested for the check.

If you are at the beginning of the process, it might be worth getting some prints done at a Police station and send them off to the RCMP as I have been told they have a waiting list of about 6 months to get the check done and I have heard quite a few Immigration Consultants recommend getting this done.

Hope that helps a bit.

sogwap

Feb 18, 2010
Indiana
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you have lived in any country (Canada or elsewhere) for 6 months or longer you need a police check from that country.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Yes, except for Canada. You don't need a police check from Canada, even if you've lived here more than 6 months, because when they are doing the security checks they check your name themselves.
Sometimes people are asked for one later; you don't need to submit it with the application.

chrischris

Star Member
Mar 15, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-05-2011
File Transfer...
21-06-2011
Med's Done....
09-05-2011
Thanks everyone for your replies so far. I think the conclusion is that I may or may not get a request and should therefore be prepared for it rather than assume they won't ask.

So... if I do get asked, how can I make it quicker than the 120 day processing time? I've read about getting it done electronically at a Commissionaires' office, but are there any of these outside of Canada?

If this cannot be done outside of Canada, will having it done at such an office in Canada speed it up sufficiently to warrant me finding the cheapest possible return flight to anywhere in Canada from the UK just in order to do this?!

Chris

essex0227

Apr 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
4th August 2011
File Transfer...
12th October 2011
Med's Request
Received 17th October 2011
Med's Done....
2nd August 2011
Interview........
Waivered
Passport Req..
18th November 2011
VISA ISSUED...
6th December 2011
LANDED..........
14th June 2012
Chris i've sent you a message with some information that i got off another member hope it helps :)

afc

Jul 1, 2011
Our son needs a fingerprint check from Canadian Police to allow him to complete police recruitment process in uk. He studied in Kingston for 8 months as part of a degree at a UK university in 2005 and this is now causing problems.
It can't be done electronically outside Canada and it normally takes 12 weeks through the postal system (and there's a postal strike at the moment). He has 10-12 week window or he loses his position.
Is it possible for him to fly over and have this check completed with a letter of confirmation given on the same day or next day?

Appreciate all advice!

chrischris

Star Member
Mar 15, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-05-2011
File Transfer...
21-06-2011
Med's Done....
09-05-2011
afc said:
Our son needs a fingerprint check from Canadian Police to allow him to complete police recruitment process in uk. He studied in Kingston for 8 months as part of a degree at a UK university in 2005 and this is now causing problems.
It can't be done electronically outside Canada and it normally takes 12 weeks through the postal system (and there's a postal strike at the moment). He has 10-12 week window or he loses his position.
Is it possible for him to fly over and have this check completed with a letter of confirmation given on the same day or next day?

Appreciate all advice!
afc - he can get it done electronically in person in Canada at a commissionaires' office, but there is also another way....

1) Order the paper C-216C form from the RCMP by email (instructions on their website)
2) Get the UK police to take his fingerprints on the Canadian form (the Met's website says they can do this for £63)
3) Send the paper C-216C to a commissionaires' office in Canada (I think all provinces have at least one office - just google and you will find their websites complete with contact details) where for a fee of $200 they will digitize the inked form and make the application to the RCMP for you.
4) RCMP will process within a few days and send you the certificate in the mail.

There may be courier fees to pay also.

HOWEVER, you will need to check with the commissionaires' offices that you can do this for an application not related to immigration as there are rules about this I think.

I have contacted the commissionaires' offices in Ontario and BC recently with email queries and they were both very helpful and replied to me within hours.

Hope that helps you - best of luck.