+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RCMP Criminal Background Check Question

s2t2

Star Member
Mar 4, 2015
Hi Guys,
It would be great if someone can answer my question.

I've applied for PR under the Quebec Skilled Worker program last year.
CIC requested for RCMP Criminal Background check last week.
I went to Canadian Corps of Commissionaires, a private firm which takes fingerprints, forwards them to RCMP for the background check.
I got the RCMP document back today.
I'm a bit confused about this document. It lists the Application Type as "Landed Immigrant Status" and mentions that I could not be associated to any immigration related file or criminal record. Is that how it should be? I'm not a Landed Immigrant, I came to Canada as a student on a Study Permit and now I'm on a Work Permit.
As far as I know, landed immigrants are permanent residents of Canada.
I'm a little confused that maybe they processed it with the incorrect application type and I have to go through this again.
Can anyone clarify this, someone who already went through this process of getting this document.

It would be highly appreciated.
Thanks!

mcgyver

Apr 13, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5-05-2014
Nomination.....
11-06-2014
AOR Received.
11-08-2014
File Transfer...
23-06-2014
Med's Request
16-04-2015
Med's Done....
29-04-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
29-06-2015 Decision Made: 30-06-2015 PP Submitted...: 1-07-2015
VISA ISSUED...
10-07-2015 PP Returned....: 11-08-2015
LANDED..........
01-10-2015
Hi,

Why do you think it is a mistake? After all, you applied for PR.

Please check your Private Messages. Thanks.

__ mcgyver

ahmedhuang

Star Member
Feb 11, 2013
Hello,

My situation is same as yours , yesterday i went to one of their accredited centers and had the finger printing done.

I was closely looking at the screen as they typed. however they selected "Landed Immigrant Status" = Application type

i am myself confused there should have been some other phrase in that list like PERMANENT RESIDENCE , but i guess we should be find.

from which center did you get this FP done ??

kind Regards
Ahmed.

Marlee

Jan 16, 2014
Montréal, Québec
Category........
Visa Office......
CSQ: BIQ New York; QSW: CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
CSQ: 14-01-2014, QSW: 08-12-2014
Doc's Request.
13-11-2015
Nomination.....
DM: 07-01-2016, CSQ: 15-10-2014
AOR Received.
CSQ: 14-05-2014, QSW: 26-03-2015
IELTS Request
IELTS 8.5 - TEFÀQ C1/C1
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waiver
Passport Req..
Visa-exempt
VISA ISSUED...
COPR received 14-01-2016
LANDED..........
17-01-2016
The terminology changed throughout the last couple of years. "Permanent Residents" were formerly called "Landed Immigrants". It's the same thing.

s2t2

Star Member
Mar 4, 2015
I got mine done from Canadian Corps of Commissionaires, Montreal.
Yeah I think it's fine, I've already sent it to CIC.

That's right Marlee!
It used to be called Landed Immigrants and some of the older forms not yet updated still use that.

zai20

May 14, 2015
Hi guyss. .. I have the same as situation of you. I got my clearance for my application as student permit. I'm not an immigrant or pr. but it says in application type - LANDED IMMIGRANT STATUS. so is it okay or do i have to go back to rcmp and ask them to change it. but i clearly stated that its for student permit purposes?

s2t2

Star Member
Mar 4, 2015
Not sure how it should be for a study permit.
This forum section is for skilled/professional immigration, maybe you will have better luck asking this question in the section for international students.

Moly82

Aug 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPCO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2014
Med's Request
19-02-2014
Passport Req..
Waiting
Hi guys,

I had the same situation and the gentleman taking the fingerprints at the Canadian Commissionaires said that this is how it should be although we are not pr yet.

I have another question though. I hope you can help me ..

I received email from visa officer asking for explanation of POSITIVE IDENTIFICATION on my RCMP immigration file, and I went to rcmp who said that there's nothing wrong, and they checked with CBSA who confirmed also that there's nothing wrong.

To make a long story short, I did a new RCMP certificate and got it delivered to me (first one was delivered to CIC directly) . I received it today and it doesn't make sense at all.

Here what it says:
This certifies ..... concerning applicant whose name and date of birth appear below could not be associated to an existing Criminal record.
This also certifies that a search by the RCMP using the same fingerprints has resulted in a POSITIVE IDENTIFICATION to immigration fingerprints registered under the file number indicated below.

File number: RFN -------------( not my pr application number nor my UCI, and not even any number that exists on the visa or the work permit)

I called CIC call center who definitely didn't help, and called boarder service but they said they don't deal with this, and advised to ask CIC.. the funny thing is that CIC are the ones who want the explanation.

Did this happen to anyone, or do anyone know what does this mean.
I was thinking that it may be because I had my fingerprints taken for biometrics when I applied for work permit fro outside Canada. but if this is tru, it will be the case to everone who cam to Canada.

I'm so confused ....

Cad84

Nov 27, 2015
Moly82 said:
Hi guys,

I had the same situation and the gentleman taking the fingerprints at the Canadian Commissionaires said that this is how it should be although we are not pr yet.

I received email from visa officer asking for explanation of POSITIVE IDENTIFICATION on my RCMP immigration file, and I went to rcmp who said that there's nothing wrong, and they checked with CBSA who confirmed also that there's nothing wrong.

To make a long story short, I did a new RCMP certificate and got it delivered to me (first one was delivered to CIC directly) . I received it today and it doesn't make sense at all.

Here what it says:
This certifies ..... concerning applicant whose name and date of birth appear below could not be associated to an existing Criminal record.
This also certifies that a search by the RCMP using the same fingerprints has resulted in a POSITIVE IDENTIFICATION to immigration fingerprints registered under the file number indicated below.

File number: RFN -------------( not my pr application number nor my UCI, and not even any number that exists on the visa or the work permit)

I called CIC call center who definitely didn't help, and called boarder service but they said they don't deal with this, and advised to ask CIC.. the funny thing is that CIC are the ones who want the explanation.

I was thinking that it may be because I had my fingerprints taken for biometrics when I applied for work permit fro outside Canada. but if this is tru, it will be the case to everone who cam to Canada.

I'm so confused ....
Moly82 said:
hi Moly82,
I'm going through the same issue now and not sure what it means that "fingerprints has resulted in a POSITIVE IDENTIFICATION to immigration fingerprints registered under the file number..."

did you receive any answer or can anyone else assist me.

thanks, I appreciate it

TKT

Star Member
Jun 14, 2012
Guys, I think its nothing to worry about. It just states that the fingerprint is identical to that they have in their record for the same person. Thats u. You have been cleared already on criminality

Cad84 said:
Moly82 said:
Hi guys,

Here what it says:

I'm so confused ....
Moly82 said:
hi Moly82,
I'm going through the same issue now and not sure what it means that "fingerprints has resulted in a POSITIVE IDENTIFICATION to immigration fingerprints registered under the file number..."

did you receive any answer or can anyone else assist me.

thanks, I appreciate it

glennchu

Star Member
Sep 29, 2016
Hi Everyone,

My police clearance certificate had the same paragraph mentioning "fingerprints has resulted in a POSITIVE IDENTIFICATION to immigration fingerprints registered under the file number..."

Can someone please help me here?

Thank you.

SnowBar

Aug 19, 2017
Hi Everyone,

My police clearance certificate had the same paragraph mentioning "fingerprints has resulted in a POSITIVE IDENTIFICATION to immigration fingerprints registered under the file number..."

Can someone please help me here?

Thank you.
They have taken your biometrics and stored them into their database. So when RCMP conduct fingerprint search in immigration-related file there is a match (positive identification).

However, there is no match in criminal record fingerprint database. No criminal record found.

Yours is perfectly fine. For most people who have not been taken biometrics, the wording should be:

This certifies that a search of the National Criminal Records repository and Fingerprint Repository maintained by the RCMP concerning the applicant whose fingerprints, name, and date of birth appear below could not be associated to any Immigration-related file or existing Criminal Record which may be disclosed in accordance with Federal Laws.