TanakaM

VIP Member
Dec 29, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14-04-17
I think I would disagree. Don't two degrees give higher CRS score along with CLB9?
No, @GavinSouthAfrica is correct. It's good to have both evaluated as it is at no extra cost, but you actually only get points for your highest qualification. A masters is worth more than 10 bachelors degrees. So just getting the masters evaluated is sufficient.

Regards

J

jon-son

No, @GavinSouthAfrica is correct. It's good to have both evaluated as it is at no extra cost, but you actually only get points for your highest qualification. A masters is worth more than 10 bachelors degrees. So just getting the masters evaluated is sufficient.

Regards
So how do you read this [http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/express-entry/grid-crs.asp]:

CRS – C. Skill transferability factors

Post-secondary program credential of one year or longer and CLB9 ---->> 25 points

Two or more post-secondary program credentials AND at least one of these credentials was issued on completion of a post-secondary program of three years or longer and CLB9 -->> 50 points

Please care to explain.

hishamx87

Apr 25, 2017
Guys,

I am in a similar boat, I have an ECA for my Bachelors degree which is equivalent to 4 years bachelors degree as per IQAS.

I have a 2 years National diploma in mechanical engineering from Edexcel Btec. If any evaluation body evaluates it as a post secondary diploma then can I claim two or more diploma / degrees category points? It is worth mentioning that after completing my 10th grade, I enrolled myself in the diploma course and after that I enrolled in university and completed my bachelors.

My only concern is; if I get the post secondary ECA and apply the two or more degrees / diplomas points and later IRCC take it as misrepresentation or something and rejects my application.

AND, I want know if I can claim these extra points using 2 differents ECAs from two different evaluation bodies i,e, Bachelor's ECA from IQAS and other ECA from any other approved evaluation body. OR do I need one ECA stating the equivalency of both?

I have still not applied for the ECA as I want to be sure before spending $$ and energy.

Your expert opinion will be very helpful.

Last edited:

TanakaM

VIP Member
Dec 29, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14-04-17
So how do you read this [http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/express-entry/grid-crs.asp]:

CRS – C. Skill transferability factors

Post-secondary program credential of one year or longer and CLB9 ---->> 25 points

Two or more post-secondary program credentials AND at least one of these credentials was issued on completion of a post-secondary program of three years or longer and CLB9 -->> 50 points

Please care to explain.
That is only part of the instruction. Take a look at the ministerial instruction governing the express entry system:

"
(e) 50 points, if the foreign national’s proficiency in their first official language is assessed at level 9 or higher in all language skill areas and they have
  • (i) two or more post-secondary program credentials, one of which was issued on completion of a post-secondary program of three years or more,
  • (ii) a university-level credential at the master’s level or at the level of an entry-to-practice professional degree for an occupation listed in the National Occupational Classification matrix at Skill Level A for which licensing by a provincial regulatory body is required, or
  • (iii) a university-level credential at the doctoral level."
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/mi/express-entry.asp

"Level of education
(1) The points that are to be assigned for the level of education factor referred to in subparagraph 8(1)(a)(ii) are the following:

• (a) for a foreign national who has no accompanying spouse or common-law partner
    • (i) 0 points, if the foreign national has less than a secondary school credential,
    • (ii) 30 points, if the foreign national has a secondary school credential,
    • (iii) 90 points, if the foreign national has a one-year post-secondary program credential,
    • (iv) 98 points, if the foreign national has a two-year post-secondary program credential,
    • (v) 120 points, if the foreign national has a post-secondary program credential of three years or more,
    • (vi) 128 points, if the foreign national has two or more post-secondary program credentials and at least one of them was issued at the completion of a post-secondary program of three years or more,
    • (vii) 135 points, if the foreign national has a university-level credential at the master’s level or at the level of an entry-to-practice professional degree for an occupation listed in the National Occupational Classification matrix at Skill level A for which licensing by a provincial regulatory body is required, and
    • (viii) 150 points, if the foreign national has a university-level credential at the doctoral level; and
  • (b) for a foreign national who has an accompanying spouse or common-law partner
    • (i) 0 points, if the foreign national has less than a secondary school credential,
    • (ii) 28 points, if the foreign national has a secondary school credential,
    • (iii) 84 points, if the foreign national has a one-year post-secondary program credential,
    • (iv) 91 points, if the foreign national has a two-year post-secondary program credential,
    • (v) 112 points, if the foreign national has a post-secondary program credential of three years or more,
    • (vi) 119 points, if the foreign national has two or more post-secondary program credentials and at least one of them was issued at the completion of a post-secondary program of three years or more,
    • (vii) 126 points, if the foreign national has a university-level credential at the master’s level or an entry-to-practice professional degree for an occupation listed in the National Occupational Classification matrix at Skill level A for which licensing by a provincial regulatory body is require , and
    • (viii) 140 points, if the foreign national has a university-level credential at the doctoral level.
Highest level of education
(2) Points are to be assigned under subsection (1) for the highest level of education obtained."

Hope that makes it clear.

regards

J

jon-son

Guys,

I am in a similar boat, I have an ECA for my Bachelors degree which is equivalent to 4 years bachelors degree as per IQAS.

I have a 2 years National diploma in mechanical engineering from Edexcel Btec. If any evaluation body evaluates it as a post secondary diploma then can I claim two or more diploma / degrees category points? It is worth mentioning that after completing my 10th grade, I enrolled myself in the diploma course and after that I enrolled in university and completed my bachelors.

My only concern is; if I get the post secondary ECA and apply the two or more degrees / diplomas points and later IRCC take it as misrepresentation or something and rejects my application.

I have still not applied for the ECA as I want to be sure before spending $$ and energy.

Definitely not an expert here, but I would say: let an ECA do their job first and then submit what you'll have been given. I see no misrepresentation here. You would just submit 2 degrees and then it's up to the system to decide how many points you get. That's how it worked in my case, submitted 2 degrees and with CLB9 I got 50 points, I did not ask for 50 points, I was given them automatically. It's as simple as that.

Reactions: Mithu3

TanakaM

VIP Member
Dec 29, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14-04-17
Guys,

AND, I want know if I can claim these extra points using 2 differents ECAs from two different evaluation bodies i,e, Bachelor's ECA from IQAS and other ECA from any other approved evaluation body. OR do I need one ECA stating the equivalency of both?

Hi,

Why would this be misrepresentation? When you did the course does not matter. What matters is that you completed it and has been evaluated as a post-secondary credential.

So I would get it evaluated and then claim points for 2 or more post secondary qualifications.

regards

J

jon-son

That is only part of the instruction. Take a look at the ministerial instruction governing the express entry system:

"
(e) 50 points, if the foreign national’s proficiency in their first official language is assessed at level 9 or higher in all language skill areas and they have
  • (i) two or more post-secondary program credentials, one of which was issued on completion of a post-secondary program of three years or more,
  • (ii) a university-level credential at the master’s level or at the level of an entry-to-practice professional degree for an occupation listed in the National Occupational Classification matrix at Skill Level A for which licensing by a provincial regulatory body is required, or
  • (iii) a university-level credential at the doctoral level."

"Level of education
(1) The points that are to be assigned for the level of education factor referred to in subparagraph 8(1)(a)(ii) are the following:

• (a) for a foreign national who has no accompanying spouse or common-law partner
    • (ii) 30 points, if the foreign national has a secondary school credential,
    • (iii) 90 points, if the foreign national has a one-year post-secondary program credential,
    • (iv) 98 points, if the foreign national has a two-year post-secondary program credential,
    • (v) 120 points, if the foreign national has a post-secondary program credential of three years or more,
    • (vi) 128 points, if the foreign national has two or more post-secondary program credentials and at least one of them was issued at the completion of a post-secondary program of three years or more,
    • (vii) 135 points, if the foreign national has a university-level credential at the master’s level or at the level of an entry-to-practice professional degree for an occupation listed in the National Occupational Classification matrix at Skill level A for which licensing by a provincial regulatory body is required, and
    • (viii) 150 points, if the foreign national has a university-level credential at the doctoral level; and
  • (b) for a foreign national who has an accompanying spouse or common-law partner
    • (ii) 28 points, if the foreign national has a secondary school credential,
    • (iii) 84 points, if the foreign national has a one-year post-secondary program credential,
    • (iv) 91 points, if the foreign national has a two-year post-secondary program credential,
    • (v) 112 points, if the foreign national has a post-secondary program credential of three years or more,
    • (vi) 119 points, if the foreign national has two or more post-secondary program credentials and at least one of them was issued at the completion of a post-secondary program of three years or more,
    • (vii) 126 points, if the foreign national has a university-level credential at the master’s level or an entry-to-practice professional degree for an occupation listed in the National Occupational Classification matrix at Skill level A for which licensing by a provincial regulatory body is require , and
    • (viii) 140 points, if the foreign national has a university-level credential at the doctoral level.
Highest level of education
(2) Points are to be assigned under subsection (1) for the highest level of education obtained."

Hope that makes it clear.

regards

Thanks. So the page I quoted does not say that Master's degree alone is enough to get 50 points, I was not aware of that.

TanakaM

VIP Member
Dec 29, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14-04-17
Definitely not an expert here, but I would say: let an ECA do their job first and then submit what you'll have been given. I see no misrepresentation here. You would just submit 2 degrees and then it's up to the system to decide how many points you get. That's how it worked in my case, submitted 2 degrees and with CLB9 I got 50 points, I did not ask for 50 points, I was given them automatically. It's as simple as that.
Correct. If the ECA says you have 2 post-secondary credentials, the system will definitely give you the point you deserve.

TanakaM

VIP Member
Dec 29, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14-04-17
Thanks. So the page I quoted does not say that Master's degree alone is enough to get 50 points, I was not aware of that.
Yap. The thing is for one to have a master you need a bachelors first. So if one has a masters the definitely have 2 or more post secondary qualifications.
The link you shared is no longer available, please check it and share again. BUT as a rule of thumb, always use the ministerial instruction as it is the law governing Express entry.

Regards

Reactions: Mithu3
J

jon-son

Yap. The thing is for one to have a master you need a bachelors first. So if one has a masters the definitely have 2 or more post secondary qualifications.
Definitely not true everywhere. In many European countries you can get Master's without Bachelor's.

The link you shared is no longer available, please check it and share again. BUT as a rule of thumb, always use the ministerial instruction as it is the
law governing Express entry.
Regards
The link works, just the forum website added some extra chars at the end. Once again it is here.

TanakaM

VIP Member
Dec 29, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14-04-17
Definitely not true everywhere. In many European countries you can get Master's without Bachelor's.

The link works, just the forum website added some extra chars at the end. Once again it is here.
This is not about Europe my friend, its about the Canadian education system. Anyway, I doubt those European masters degrees that are not preceded by a bachelors degree are equivalent to a Canadian Masters.

Thanks for the link. It says that because 2 or more degree, masters degree and PHD + clb9 all give the same 50 points (maximum) when it comes to transferability factors.

Regards

GavinSouthAfrica

Apr 19, 2017
This is not about Europe my friend, its about the Canadian education system. Anyway, I doubt those European masters degrees that are not preceded by a bachelors degree are equivalent to a Canadian Masters.
Yes they are.

I have one of *those* masters degrees and my ECA has verified it as equivalent to a Canadian Masters.

Reactions: HopefulHeart
J

jon-son

This is not about Europe my friend, its about the Canadian education system.
Huh? I am talking about a Master's degree from Europe evaluated in Canada. So this is about Europe partially.

Anyway, I doubt those European masters degrees that are not preceded by a bachelors degree are equivalent to a Canadian Masters.
They are for sure, I know that from WES evaluations. It may take up to 5.5 years to get Masters without Bachelors in some European countries. Alternatively, you can split it: 3.5 years Bachelor + 2 years MSc. The curriculum is exactly the same.

Thanks for the link. It says that because 2 or more degree, masters degree and PHD + clb9 all give the same 50 points (maximum) when it comes to transferability factors.
Why are you bringing PhD into the picture? The website says this:

"Two or more post-secondary program credentials AND at least one of these credentials was issued on completion of a post-secondary program of three years or longer"

which implies that two Bachelor's degrees are eligible. Unless this website is imprecise, which may be my point.

J

jon-son

2 bachelors give more points than one, but a masters gives more than 2 bachelors
That's not what I would infer from the website I quoted:

"Two or more post-secondary program credentials AND at least one of these credentials was issued on completion of a post-secondary program of three years or longer"