+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Rare situation, really need advice !

freeday1919

Sep 30, 2013
Hi all,

So I was accepted to work In CANADA (nov 2010), before I was graduated from my University back home.
but then when I came to CANADA on MAY 2011, I already graduated (graduated on FEB 2011).
I came to CANADA just to work, as an INTERN for 16 MONTHS and work under closed work permit specific to my company. ( I called CIC and verified that is not a coop or student WP, its a closed normal work permit).

I am sure that MY NOC is 2171 as I work as Software Quality Assurance. ( full time intern, work 40 hours a week for 16 months).
and My job duties was aligned with it. I just need to ask for my ex supervisor to give me the letter of work experience.

My question is, am I eligible to apply for PR under CEC with that experience ?
I am worried because it is an 'INTERN' job but I work under a closed work permit which is makes me kinda hoping that this is counted.

If I get rejected based on that 'INTERN' status, will I get any problem/blaklist If in the future I would like to apply again with my PGWP experinece ?
( my PGWP is one year only and I would like to get a Bridging Open before the 1 year WP expires ).

iamroth

Champion Member
Jan 26, 2013
Category........
App. Filed.......
23-03-2018
If you have a STRONG reference letter that says you are "Software QA", then it may be ok. As long as the job duties clearly match your NOC code.

But my concern is this, from CIC website:
"...is also important to note that work experience you may have acquired as part of your academic program, such as an internship or a co-op placement, does not qualify under the CEC. Part-time work you may have performed during your studies does not qualify either...."

I really feel the VO may reject your work experience based on this. But who knows!
Also remember that call center agents are not always right. They will just say something, but you will probably pay the price.

You can not get blacklisted unless you do something illegal. Applying for PR is not a crime. If they reject you, they will provide the reason for rejection, all you have to do is fulfill the requirement and apply again.

lpc19800

Champion Member
May 21, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 14 2013
AOR Received.
February 24 2013
Med's Request
November 13, 2013
Med's Done....
December 5, 2013
Interview........
Waived: RPRF requested: November 13, 2013
Passport Req..
Visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
January 6, 2014
LANDED..........
January 29, 2014
freeday1919 said:
Hi all,

So I was accepted to work In CANADA (nov 2010), before I was graduated from my University back home.
but then when I came to CANADA on MAY 2011, I already graduated (graduated on FEB 2011).
I came to CANADA just to work, as an INTERN for 16 MONTHS and work under closed work permit specific to my company. ( I called CIC and verified that is not a coop or student WP, its a closed normal work permit).

I am sure that MY NOC is 2171 as I work as Software Quality Assurance. ( full time intern, work 40 hours a week for 16 months).
and My job duties was aligned with it. I just need to ask for my ex supervisor to give me the letter of work experience.

My question is, am I eligible to apply for PR under CEC with that experience ?
I am worried because it is an 'INTERN' job but I work under a closed work permit which is makes me kinda hoping that this is counted.

If I get rejected based on that 'INTERN' status, will I get any problem/blaklist If in the future I would like to apply again with my PGWP experinece ?
( my PGWP is one year only and I would like to get a Bridging Open before the 1 year WP expires ).

Were you paid?

freeday1919

Sep 30, 2013
Thanks for your response,

to be honest this is not a part of my academic program.
Since I was graduated from my home university on FEB 2011.
alsoI was not under any study permit when I work for my INTERN term ( just that closed work permit).

So on my point of view this is just a work but my title is 'Software QA Intern'.

what do you think ?

iamroth said:
If you have a STRONG reference letter that says you are "Software QA", then it may be ok. As long as the job duties clearly match your NOC code.

But my concern is this, from CIC website:
"...is also important to note that work experience you may have acquired as part of your academic program, such as an internship or a co-op placement, does not qualify under the CEC. Part-time work you may have performed during your studies does not qualify either...."

I really feel the VO may reject your work experience based on this. But who knows!
Also remember that call center agents are not always right. They will just say something, but you will probably pay the price.

You can not get blacklisted unless you do something illegal. Applying for PR is not a crime. If they reject you, they will provide the reason for rejection, all you have to do is fulfill the requirement and apply again.

iamroth

Champion Member
Jan 26, 2013
Category........
App. Filed.......
23-03-2018
freeday1919 said:

alsoI was not under any study permit when I work for my INTERN term ( just that closed work permit).

So on my point of view this is just a work but my title is 'Software QA Intern'.

what do you think ?
yah, if it were me, I would probably give it an 'OK'. But VO has hundreds of application, and they normally can't afford to think about application. They do everything by the book and they may just take a look at the word "INTERN", and could be the end of your process.

You could have a reference letter where it clearly states that, the job is not a part of study, thus should not be considered as a traditional internship.

But i feel it would be up to you to apply or not in the end.

Your plus points are: on work permit, paid, good NOC job.
Your neg. point is: INTERNNNN....NNN (echo)

snuffles

Sep 30, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov. 14, 2012
AOR Received.
Jan. 14, 2013
Med's Request
Oct. 9, 2013
Med's Done....
Oct. 11, 2013
Passport Req..
Oct. 22, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Oct. 31, 2013
LANDED..........
Nov. 9, 2013
freeday1919 said:

what do you think ?
I highly recommend you talk to your company to get rid of the "intern" in your title for the reference letter. Even though your job isn't part of an academic program, the VO could get confused and put your application under review status. So try your best not to have the word intern in your reference letter.

CEC2013

Dec 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04 FEB 2013
Doc's Request.
26 NOV 2013 (RPRF)
AOR Received.
14 MAR 2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application.
Med's Request
27 NOV 2013
Med's Done....
29 NOV 2013
Interview........
Waived.
Passport Req..
09 DEC 2013
VISA ISSUED...
19 DEC 2013
LANDED..........
21 DEC 2013
@ freeday1919

I'm in the same position as you, since I came through IEC. My situation is actually even more complicated than yours, since I worked for a government agency and they were so strict with their policies, that I was assigned a title with INTERN in it, even though my position level was supervisory (direct report to an executive) with access to highly sensitive information. It would have been public relations issue otherwise.

My file is in queue and hopefully, I can tell you more very soon. I did receive an AOR without issues and submitted a cover letter explaining the circumstance for the title. My duties match the NOC, but not word for word. And I was paid a wage commensurate with CAN standards.

I think that as long as its not a part of your studies, you are paid and your duties dont say things like "learning" instead of "performing," then you should be fine. If you have any other particular doubts, feel free to pm me.

freeday1919

Sep 30, 2013
@iamroth

yeah My only doubts about this is my "INTERN" status which Im not sure if I can get my work letter without it.
I'll try to talk to my supervisor if he can give me without it, but if he can't then I have to create a cover letter and tell them about my status.

@snuffles

Thanks man, I'll try to follow your advice.

@CEC2013

Im glad that I we are on the same boat.
Yeah I think I will do the same thing ( create a cover letter and explain about my situation ) if I have an INTERN title on my work letter.
So since your file is on queue and you got the AOR then you can apply for bridging work permit then, am I right ?

Thanks so much for your response, really appreciate it.
I'll try to keep in touch with you and feel free to let me know about your submission status.
wish you all the best man!

CEC2013

Dec 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04 FEB 2013
Doc's Request.
26 NOV 2013 (RPRF)
AOR Received.
14 MAR 2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application.
Med's Request
27 NOV 2013
Med's Done....
29 NOV 2013
Interview........
Waived.
Passport Req..
09 DEC 2013
VISA ISSUED...
19 DEC 2013
LANDED..........
21 DEC 2013
freeday1919 said:
@ CEC2013
Yeah I think I will do the same thing ( create a cover letter and explain about my situation ) if I have an INTERN title on my work letter.
So since your file is on queue and you got the AOR then you can apply for bridging work permit then, am I right ?
I'll try to keep in touch with you and feel free to let me know about your submission status.
Yea. I already got BOWP, since I'm a FEB applicant and my permit was gonna expiry this summer. Also got a new job with another gov agency, and no problems there either (with the permit). Although they are expecting an answer on my app at some point, so...hopefully my file will land on someones desk soon.

Sure. I try to be on the forum as much as I can. You can see my updates, if there are any, in the FEB '13 thread or tracker. All the best with your app as well.

PB02

Star Member
Mar 5, 2013
freeday1919 said:
@ iamroth

yeah My only doubts about this is my "INTERN" status which Im not sure if I can get my work letter without it.
I'll try to talk to my supervisor if he can give me without it, but if he can't then I have to create a cover letter and tell them about my status.

@ snuffles

Thanks man, I'll try to follow your advice.

@ CEC2013

Im glad that I we are on the same boat.

Hello Guys,
I was in a similar situation where I was in a Management Trainee but it was a permanent full time paid job. I applied in Oct 2012 with a very detailed employment letter.

I applied GCMS notes in June 2012 and nothing had started at that time. I reapplied GCMS notes in July which were received in Aug and I was shocked to see that the VO had made comments, "Job duties performed were of a Trainee and not an actual supervisor/manager" and had sent my application for FURTHER REVIEW. I discussed the situation with my HR and they provided me another detailed letter which stated that my job was of a full time employee and it's a normal hiring process in the company where employees hired for this position undergo a training before they are assigned the actual managerial role but the duties performed are what every manager would do on a day to day basis.
(The letter had more job related details)

I received my MR/Biodata/RPRF two days ago (more than two months after I sent them an explanation and concern about the VO's comments.
My advise would be to apply with a proper reference letter and other supporting documents and to keep tracking your application via GCMS notes, it does not harm if you apply these notes more that once.

CEC2013

Dec 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04 FEB 2013
Doc's Request.
26 NOV 2013 (RPRF)
AOR Received.
14 MAR 2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application.
Med's Request
27 NOV 2013
Med's Done....
29 NOV 2013
Interview........
Waived.
Passport Req..
09 DEC 2013
VISA ISSUED...
19 DEC 2013
LANDED..........
21 DEC 2013
PB02 said:
I applied GCMS notes in June 2012 and nothing had started at that time. I reapplied GCMS notes in July which were received in Aug and I was shocked to see that the VO had made comments, "Job duties performed were of a Trainee and not an actual supervisor/manager" and had sent my application for FURTHER REVIEW. I discussed the situation with my HR and they provided me another detailed letter which stated that my job was of a full time employee and it's a normal hiring process in the company where employees hired for this position undergo a training before they are assigned the actual managerial role but the duties performed are what every manager would do on a day to day basis.
(The letter had more job related details)
I received my MR/Biodata/RPRF two days ago (more than two months after I sent them an explanation and concern about the VO's comments.
My advise would be to apply with a proper reference letter and other supporting documents and to keep tracking your application via GCMS notes, it does not harm if you apply these notes more that once.
wow PB02!! thanks a lot for that. thats gives me some hope as my case is pretty much the same as yours. congrats on your MR and good luck with the rest of the process.